• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with an Autistic child.

jondvl

Mouseketeer
Our DS (age7) has low level Autism and ADD. We are concerned WDW might be to much for him. He does not like loud noises and gets upset if he does not get his way. He is getting better in that respect.

I am hoping there is so much to keep him busy that this will not be an issue.

Any suggestions on making it easier for him and the rest of the Family?

Hi and welcome to the Disabilities:wizard:

Our DS has autism and when we go to WDW we see him improve in others area in his life. Speech, reading, etc.

For the issues, if you have an Ipod with songs he likes maybe he could listen to music instead of the noise at Disney. Or headphone to muffle the sound. We still use a stroller because DS can pull the sunshade down when he is over stimulated.

We go early in the morning at rope drop because there are less people there and we have an early lunch in the park then go back to our resort for swim and nap. If you have older children maybe one adult can stay with them and another go back with DS. I can't enough about leaving when it is time, before the time.

We used a story book the first time and did a counter before hand. We used pictures of ride entrances and of walkways.

I hope you have a wonderful time in WDW.

Our DS (age7) has low level Autism and ADD. We are concerned WDW might be to much for him. He does not like loud noises and gets upset if he does not get his way. He is getting better in that respect.

I am hoping there is so much to keep him busy that this will not be an issue.

Any suggestions on making it easier for him and the rest of the Family?

My 8 year old is the same, and I found starting with ear plugs now will help you in the long run. get him used to ear muffs . good ones that block noise, or plugs. Also remember, stimulation is a bad thing for them so consider you will be leaving the park early or resting some where quietly a few times thru out the day. I also bring his game boy, but again that keeps him buisy while waiting in line, I also get a stroller for him as all the walking, the noises, the crowds OMG soo much bombardment. He wants to go when we go, but he knows he can not handle it so he stays with great gramma now. we have dealt with many crying fits, and not being able to stay in the park so we do not take him any longer. Im a single gramma raising him and me and the kids just could not deal with this any longer so we make sure he is fine at grammas before we go. he is much happier. He is very bright, genius in math and reading, and can put anything togehter, he is normal in every way, but can not handle crowds, waiting in long lines and the noise bothers him. why fly hundreds of miles to be miserable . Good luck, the ear muffling noise head sets seem to really work well for many people. :)

oh and a side note, he loves silverwood theme park. and there for we take him there every year . not sure why he loves that park ,I hate it LOL! but its carnival type rides and the log ride with no noise and dancing and singing characters makes it a fablulous ride and he rides it over and over. He also loves to go to the carnival when it comes to town, again same type rides and no waits. not sure why disneyland and WDW is not to his liking. but again its his life and his choosing :)

Welcome,

WDW is a magical place for our children. If you work your way back through the older threads you will find lots of great ideas and real world experiences to make your visit great.

If you have any specific question pleas feel free to ask, there are lots of experienced parents that read and post.

If you have not noticed there is a community board also where we discuss non-Disney issues and successes of our children, if that is of any help.

bookwormde

My son is now 20, with autism, and has traveled to WDW 7 times. His trips to WDW have helped him develop patience (from waiting in lines) and work on using his words to ask for things. He feels very comfortable there after several visits.

All the suggestions above--rest, using headphones or similar to block loud noises, using visuals--have worked for us. Staying on site is helpful, as you can quickly get back to your resort for a nap and a swim. Be prepared for him to need frequent breaks to lower his stim level. The Companion restrooms, Baby and First Aid stations in each park can be helpful as a quiet place to toilet or change clothes, or just get out of the noise for a few minutes.

Prepare a general schedule to let him know what to expect, but be flexible enough to eat popcorn and watch the ducks with him instead of riding another ride. Stick to his usual meal times, too; it can be tempting to stretch things for one more ride, but believe me, it's not worth a meltdown to hit the Teacups instead of getting to lunch. And also resign yourself to the fact that he will develop favorites and want to ride them again and again! :)

Use Fast Pass whenever possible, and don't be afraid to say "yes" if a cast member asks if your child has autism. We have occasionally been let in through the FP line even though we did not have one. Some folks like to get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Services. This is not a "front of the line" card although some CMs will treat it as such. It simply lets the CM know what type of assistance you might need, like a quiet place to wait. Bring whatever your child might enjoy as a distraction in lines. Mine likes to listen to a CD, draw on a small tablet, or blow bubbles.

Order the free vacation DVD from Disney to show your child before you go. Get a copy of OPEN MOUSE from passporter.com. This addresses the special issues that people might have, like autism, size, infants, dietary, mobility, etc. as well as having the normal Passporter information--sadly minus the pockets! But it is worth it to get a Passporter to organize yourself and prepare for a great trip.

In addition to Open Mouse, I searched youtube.com for videos of every thing I could think of. I showed dd videos of parades, fireworks, insides of rides that people had videotaped. There are a million things on there and I think it went a long way towards preparing her for everything that was going on once we got there.

Our biggest problem now is when she does something she really likes, she wants to do it again immediately...and again...and again...you all know the drill LOL

I was all set to post a few suggestions.......But I can see you've already received great advice.

I'm the father of (2) Autistic boys. WdW has been a migical place for us. Enjoy your trip.

Hi. Our DS is 13 and LOVED WDW. He has been watching Disney videos from the time he was little, and we've had vacation planning videos all the way back to the mid-80s, so he was very comfortable with it all. He asks every week to go back, and you know what, we are - in August. He's already excited about it.

A few things that we learned:
1. Use companion bathrooms. These are separate rooms that he could go in with my DH and not be subjected to the noise and echos of the big bathrooms. He also is not what I'd considered 100% trained, so having a separate area and patience was great.
2. First-aid stations have rooms that you can take him to if he's having a meltdown and can't get out of the park fast enough.
3. The Guest Assistance Card is invaluable. Use it.
4. I don't know how verbal your son is, mine is fairly verbal but tries to get away with 1 word answers. We used Disney to improve communication whenever we could.
5. Practice going to restaurants, malls, any large group settings that you can and remind him, "when we go to Disney World, we will have to sit in a restaurant and order our dinner, wait in line ...."
6. Relax and have fun. All of our kids are different - enjoy the world WITH him, don't think you have to force him to adhere to anyone else's idea of how he should act, look, talk or feel.
7. All of the cast members were GREAT with him. So were the characters - I think a lot of them are trained to recognize autism now.
8. If you can, go at a slow time of year. We went in January and the crowds were barely noticeable.

He's in my sig and here on the trolley:

Familyshirts.jpg

I would suggest checking out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. If you don't see it, there is a link to it in my signature.
Here are a couple of parts of it that might be helpful to you:

Post #2 has information about renting things like wheelchairs and also special needs strollers - those are similar to strollers used by small children but they are big enough for a small adult to use

Post #3 has links to some past threads. There are some where people gave advice for dealing with people with autism in the parks. There are also some about Communication Devices and low tech communication devices, like PECs cards.

Post #6 of that thread is all about Guest Assistance Cards.

Many people have also had very good success using planning services like TourGuide Mike. Knowing when to be where to avoid the crowds can be more valuable than the GAC. Even during busy times like Spring Break, there will be places that are much less busy than others. Knowing when and where to go can make a difference between being in a park where you can barely move and being in one you can enjoy.

Thank you all for the information.

We talk about the trip almost every day and it is over a year away. We have watched some ride videos and he seems to be really interested.

I am greatful for all the suggestions.

Well most of what I was going to say has already been said! The only thing I can think to add is to make sure and allow your son time to do the things he enjoys. For example, when my son was really into marbles we spent 30 min in a gift shop at MK with a huge tub of them while he picked out the perfect ones for a little souvinear bag. Another...he is really into numbers and letters so we stay at Pop Century where the highlight of going to Disney for him is "sitting in the numbers".

Also, consider a year pass so you don't have to feel like you are missing something if you can't see it all in one trip.

We have been going to WDW with our autistic child for 11 years. He is now 22years old.
I agree with all the posts offering advice. Only you know your child and what he needs to help him cope or remain calm. When our son was younger, shorter days in the park were common. Now he is more patient with lines and understands that some things at Disney take time to happen.

Be prepared for anything. Plan, plan, plan. Ongoing communication/dialog to let your son know in advance what he can expect is a must if he has the ability to understand what you are telling him. If it's hot at the parks, be prepared to find a quiet, cool place for you to take him so he can settle. Don't be afraid to ask for help from CM's (cast members). They are very supportive there. Friends of ours went to WDW in March with their autistic son who uses an autism service dog and the CM's were very helpful and accomodating.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi,

Our son Joshua is 12 and Autistic/non verbal.

We have travelled from the UK to Florida several times with him now and feel pretty experienced at touring the parks with him.
Have just returned from a holiday also.

The GAC card is invaluable as you can get on some rides without long queues. However, standing in a queue for an attraction can help increase your child's patience levels which I feel is important, after all many parents with special needs children just want to do the same and be treated the same as everyone else.
I would encourage you to visit parks at quieter times of the day for sure.

On our latest trip we took some Autism Awareness t-shirt's for Joshua that get the message across as well as being cute to look at , in addition though Josh is mobile he cannot walk long distances so for the first time we took our wheelchair with us.
To be honest the difference in using that as opposed to a large stroller was very noticeable as regards the service we received from Disney CMs.

Are you using any transportation for your child?

When you get to the parks I would have an idea of what rides are 'must do' perhaps some of the rides at Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom for example. If you can get on some of these early it may give you and your child confidence for further adventures :)

As ever we know the boundaries and when not to push too far. I am sure you will enjoy a great time.

our 6.5 year old daughter had mild autism. We too were hesitant on going. we made our first trip in 2006 just after we had received her diagnosis. We traveled from PDX-MCO, a long flight, we decided to travel at night so she would sleep the majority, it worked, she was up the last segment which was an hour and did great. We got a guest assistance pass at guest services when we arrived so that helped us with some of the attractions. We also brought a few of her favorite toys to play with, we also brought some ear plugs just in case but didn't need them, too curious and interested in everything around her. Also you can bring a i pod or cd player with headphones to keep them amused. We also brought a lot of her favorite snacks to munch on while we waited. She had the time of her life and we did too. With a little bit of planning you can have a wonderful time. I hope some of the tips I have included help you, they have sure helped us to be able to have a magical vacation. We are going again in August and this will be her 4th trip. Disney is just wonderful when it comes to all those who have disabilities. You will be able to enjoy and not feel like you are being judged. Have a wonderful trip!

My son has autism and we go to Disney ALL the time. He doesn't like loud noises either but it seems that nothing bothers him at Disney! I am not kidding! You will have a wonderful time. I am so happy for you and your family. You have found the perfect vacation spot.

Disneyworld is one of the ONLY places we will consider vacationing. The WDW CM's are very understanding and helpful, as is WDW itself. My suggestions--get the GAC, even if you don't think you'll need it. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Give your DS some down time, whether it's at the park or back at the hotel. Everyone will be happier. Consider renting/using a stroller. I read somewhere that the average person walks about 9 miles a day at WDW. That's a lot of walking for our kiddos, plus, the stroller can be a "safe zone" if he gets overwhelmed. Maybe even take a blanket or towel he can cover up with, if necessary. TAKE EARPLUGS! WDW is a loud place! Be flexible. As a PP said, go at a slower time of the year (we go in September). If your DS has difficulty waiting for his food in restaurants, do more buffets, where he'll also have a bigger food choice, but remember, buffets can often be more noisy, so prepare accordingly. Most of all, relax and have fun!

New to the board, but not disney. I have a 10 year old with High functioning autism, ADHD. Disney has been nothing but great for him. the rides are tame enough that he feels like he's actually enjoyed himself as opposed to naother type of amusement park. I do take Headphones for him that are rated for up to 32 decibels (Kind for shooting). they work great when he gets overwhelmed with the noise. Believe or not, like the other poster said, the noise actually does not bother him nearly as much as it does at home. I think with autism, you get a lot of anxiety issues. Disney seems to make him less anxious. I always get him a GAC card and I also get fastpasses. I do try to make him stand in shorter lines, as it teaches him some patience. Be there when the gates open and leave when it starts to get too crowded and hot. I actually try to pick parks where there is no EMH for the day. The crowds seem smaller.

If your son has motor skill problems and tires easy, I suggest renting a wheelchair. Take frequent breaks, use the companion bathrooms and never hesitate to ask a CM for help when you need it. We avoid the parades because of the crowds. He wears his headphones for the fireworks because he still likes to see them, just not the loud booms. If you are eating in restaurants, get the earliest slot available or eat at an "Off" time. We always take a pool break in the afternoon and this seems to be something that helps calm my son and then he's ready to go back out.

I hope this helps. and like someone else said..Autism Awareness shirts worn by him or you can help people and CM's more recognize the disability as sometimes it is not always obvious.

I forgot. Get a Clear Badge holder that he can where on a lanyard that has his GAC card in it, name, phone, resort staying at. Displaying the GAC card will make it easier for CM's.

Well most of what I was going to say has already been said! The only thing I can think to add is to make sure and allow your son time to do the things he enjoys. For example, when my son was really into marbles we spent 30 min in a gift shop at MK with a huge tub of them while he picked out the perfect ones for a little souvinear bag. Another...he is really into numbers and letters so we stay at Pop Century where the highlight of going to Disney for him is "sitting in the numbers".

Also, consider a year pass so you don't have to feel like you are missing something if you can't see it all in one trip.

The time we stayed at Pop Century, there were signs forbidding people to sit in the numbers :sad1: I don't think it's allowed anymore.

Our PDD son has been to WDW about 8 times. One of the things that really helps is knowing quiet places in each park that you can retreat to in case he is overwhelmed. For example, at the Magic Kingdom, Tom Sawyer island is a good place for a child to take a breather if things are starting to be too much for him, Stopping into the theater on Main Street is also a good break, especially since it is air-conditioned. In Epcot, you can go to Club Cool and drink free soft drinks from around the world. The Boneyard at AKL is a fun playground type area. I can't think of anyplace to chill out in DHS. Our son is a huge Pizza Planet fan, but no one could accuse that place of being quiet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter