Traveling With a 23 Month Old

kteach

Earning My Ears
Had a few quick questions about traveling with my 23 month old:

1) Are the pack and play mattresses comfortable, or do I need a quilted sheet?

2) Do they have real Cheerios on the breakfast buffet?

3) Would the city mini be a good stroller to bring on board?

4) Do I need to worry about taking her on the Disney bus without a car seat? I realize I'm not allowed to bring one on.

Thanks.

I haven't been on a Disney cruise yet, but we sail on the 12th with a 27 month old. We are taking our city micro with us...thinking it should fit under the bed. I think the mini is similar in size once folded up, so I'll let you know. I can also let you know for sure on the rest if no one has those answers.

Oh, I would love to hear answers as you have them. I will have a 27 month old when we travel (Feb. 2012) and also a just turned 4 year old. We are bringing a double BOB with us since we will be doing Disney either before/after. We opted for two inside connecting rooms instead of a verandah room so we would be able to have a spot for the stroller and a bit more space with the kids and their need for naps/early bedtime.

About the car seat, I'm a little worried about that on the bus, too. We were considering not taking one for the plane ride just so we don't have to lug it around (we're also doing WDW pre-cruise), but have since decided that might be a terrible idea! I can just image wrestling with him to stay in the seat/aisle...last thing I want as we start our vacation.

We cruised the wonder with a 23 month old a few years ago. We brought the peg perego pliko (full size stroller that folds umbrella style) and it was fine. We used the Disney transfers one way and it was ok. He was occupied watching the tv and sat ok. It still made me nervous. I can be a bit of a car seat nut so I don't know if the anxiety I felt for the hour was worth it. If I had it to do again I would probably just rent a car or get a town car.

About the car seat, I'm a little worried about that on the bus, too. We were considering not taking one for the plane ride just so we don't have to lug it around (we're also doing WDW pre-cruise), but have since decided that might be a terrible idea! I can just image wrestling with him to stay in the seat/aisle...last thing I want as we start our vacation.

I considered something like this when we I was looking to fly with our girls by themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Aviation-Restraint-System/dp/B001GPKN4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307458942&sr=8-2

We drive more at this point, but I would seriously consider it if we flew to Disney more often!

They are the standard mattress pads. So if yours can sleep on those at home, sh should be fine. If not, they can double blanket and sheet it to make it more cushy. I would not bring anything extra unless it was a "lovie".2)
Do they have real Cheerios on the breakfast buffet?
Yes. They haveee them in those little boxes, so you can even grab a few extras to take with you. They are at the end of the buffet on the seperate island.3)
Would the city mini be a good stroller to bring on board?
Those are nice in that you can tuck them away, but if you are not doing any travel before or after and you are not worried about needing it in the airport, they do have strollers on the ship to use. When you are using th ship ones, the staff will even store those for you. Just another option.4)
Do I need to worry about taking her on the Disney bus without a car seat? I realize I'm not allowed to bring one on.
Now this is always a heated debate her. Just to put it out there; we are VERY strict car seat people as both my DH and I work in professions where car seats are a big part of our jobs. When it comes to the Disney Bus though; we don't worry about it. There is no way to place a car seat and I would not dream of getting a car to go to port instead of the DCL buses just because of a car seat. Yes, an accident can happen with that bus as well; BUT they are so huge and use CS to keep passengers safe. The reality is if there is an accident, the impact to the bus traveling a route taken multiple times a day with trainned/working drivers; the impact would not be huge. To each it's own, the same way people take them on the plane and some don't. To me; it is not worth hauling it around and trying to store it somewhere in the room. I would go without it.....
Thanks.

Hope that helps.

2) Do they have real Cheerios on the breakfast buffet?

3) Would the city mini be a good stroller to bring on board?

4) Do I need to worry about taking her on the Disney bus without a car seat? I realize I'm not allowed to bring one on.

Thanks.

1) If you find the pack and play mattresses uncomfortable, the steward can make up the sofa bed and give you a bedrail.

2) Yes

3) Personally, I think these are too big (just my opinion). We've cruised twice now with our 2 year old and we bought a really cheap umbrella stroller. It was easier just to fit it in elevators, in the cabin, etc. You will likely have to use the stairs at some point if you don't catch an elevator. Umbrella strollers are easier/lighter to carry around the ship. I often saw people with bigger strollers wait for elevator after elevator just because they can't fit.

4) No answer for you (as we always drive), but I would think it is a pain to carry those around.

We are cruising with our then 21 month old. I figured we would just go the sofa bed with a rail route. He is only 9 months now, but I have a feeling he will be climbing out of his crib way before 21 months and get moved into a regular bed at home. He is a mover and into everything!

We also have a City Mini so I am interested in hearing responses. We have also toyed with buying a cheapie umbrella stroller, but I have heard they aren't very comfortable to push for long periods.

Oh, I would love to hear answers as you have them. I will have a 27 month old when we travel (Feb. 2012) and also a just turned 4 year old. We are bringing a double BOB with us since we will be doing Disney either before/after. We opted for two inside connecting rooms instead of a verandah room so we would be able to have a spot for the stroller and a bit more space with the kids and their need for naps/early bedtime.

A double stroller will be difficult to use onboard.

Just back from 2 weeks on the Magic.

We also put another blanket in the crib.

I couldn't find reg Cheerios, only fruit loops which worked for us:confused:

We used a lightweight Chicco stroller, a double stroller on board would be almost immposible to get around...

We had no problem on the bus, just had Quinn sit on our laps and hold on tight, the ride is fairly quick and flat freeway all the way.

Good luck!

A city mini will fit under the beds on the Dream. That's the stroller we had and while I didn't bring it on board (my kids are older now), I know it would have fit. The elevator issue is worth mentioning, but I think that you would be willing to walk to the less crowded forward elevators if you are pushing, rather than carrying, a toddler. I find umbrella strollers terribly uncomfortable to push.

I used to stress about the car seat on the bus thing when going to the park. I got over it and I wouldn't have been willing to spend extra to rent a car in order to use a car seat.

We are cruising with our then 21 month old. I figured we would just go the sofa bed with a rail route. He is only 9 months now, but I have a feeling he will be climbing out of his crib way before 21 months and get moved into a regular bed at home. He is a mover and into everything!

We also have a City Mini so I am interested in hearing responses. We have also toyed with buying a cheapie umbrella stroller, but I have heard they aren't very comfortable to push for long periods.

A few years ago we bought an umbrella stroller from Babies r Us, and it wasn't bad to push. The handle was a good bit taller than most, and it had a small canopy you could attach if you wanted. It was around $35 so not as cheap as some, but a friend borrowed it a couple of weeks ago and used it for 7 days at WDW and loved it!

I considered something like this when we I was looking to fly with our girls by themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Aviation-Restraint-System/dp/B001GPKN4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307458942&sr=8-2

We drive more at this point, but I would seriously consider it if we flew to Disney more often!

We're going on our 1st cruise and can not WAIT!!!! Our safety plan is as follows (because, you know, I only have 4 months until we embark so need to have this in place now:rotfl:) Our boys will be 4 1/2 and a week shy of 3 at time of travel.

Pre-flight: pediatrician visits, packing pedialyte powder singles, first aid kit, candied ginger(for kinda seasick) and kids dramamine non-drowsy (for whoa seasick)

Flight: stay in hotel at home airport night before. (next time, we'll spend those hotel dollars in FL.) Renting CARES harnesses via eBay for the flight - PM me for details, but for about $25 will have 2 CARES including shipping to and fro.

Transfers MCO-PC/PC-MCO: Private car service (A1A Ocean Drive Transportation & Limousine) will pick us up, and they provide free car seats. They charge $260 for r/t drive, tips and tolls.

Onboard: safetytattoo.com These tattoos are ideal for WDW and anywhere where your kids can possibly be disconnected from you. Yes, they're a bit overkill for DCL. Basic info, these body stickers can have your stateroom or cell phone number or whatever you want on them and last for weeks... a nice extra measure for the paranoid parents (ha ha ha)

Hope this helps with your plans and happy cruising!!!

Our first cruise our son was 22 months and he hated the portable crib, even with extra blankets, he ended up in bed with us since his sister was on the converted couch, so I say bring the quilted blanket.

I never remembered seeing cheerios on either of our cruises, the cruise where we used babies travel lite, to ship diapers ahead of time, also had cheerios, so basically we brought out own. I do remember them eating fruit loops on the second cruise.

We brought umbrella strollers on our first cruise and used our sons every night to get him to sleep. The second cruise (kids were 3 and 4) we never touched the strollers.

We used ME for our first cruise and I was nervous about not having car seats, obviously it was a safe ride, but we did use florida tours for transportation the second time. We did this because the ME got us to port at 2:30 after leaving POFQ. We really did not like arriving so late so we used Florida tours, but honestly I also was much happier having car seats.

Best of luck and I am sure what ever you decide will work out perfectly, have a great trip.

Tara

Never needed the car seat for the buses - we weren't worried about it, but I did wish I had it in port as our choices for excursions were limited w/o it (i.e. private taxis, etc.) - I only bring our car seat when we are taking a shuttle van service or renting a car/taking a taxi to/from the port.

We also just used the strollers onboard the Disney Magic when we sailed - they worked great, and we really only needed the stroller in port, never around the ship - just stuck it in our room when we weren't using it. Our DD (three at the time) wanted to walk everywhere and we liked being able to take the stairs rather than wait for the elevator.

I'm planning to let our DS (who will be almost 2 1/2 when we sail) sleep on the fold-out couch. Our DD did great on it when we sailed at that age with her, so I'm hoping he does great too - worried about the P'nP taking up too much room. Hope I'm not regretting our decision in 5 months. :-)

We are cruising on the Dream in 2.5 weeks and I plan on bringing two single umbrella strollers for my two little ones. I think the single strollers are so much lighter and easier to travel with than bringing our double. And it seems like it would be tough fitting the double down the narrow hallways of the cruise ship!

We cruise with our daughter when she was 10 months old on NCL and we brought our Graco single stroller. It was ok, but I wish I had an umbrella stroller, because even the Graco was too big at some points and it also took up a ton of room in our cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter