traveling toddler on suitcase

lundve

DIS Veteran
So we got a couple of these harnesses to use for our upcoming trip ( www.travelingtoddler.com ) because we decided we wanted a car this year. And I was not paying $9/day x 2 to rent seats.

Has anyone used this before to go to WDW? Anyone have any advice or success stories?

Thought I'd ask.

What a clever idea. I suggest a test drive with a packed suitecase. :thumbsup2

Will you need the carseats on the plane? If yes than this looks like a great item. However, if you only will need it to transport the kids faster, my DD just "sat" on my rolling duffle, it will skwish in the middle, hugged the extended handle and away we went!

Just as a thought, could this be done with bungee cords and save the expense?

I bought one of those also. When we went we didn't use it because of the amount of time it would take to get it off the suitcase and through security. Then you have to put it all back together on the other side.

We had 3 car seats and what we did was to use a luggage cart. We would bungy a seat to the cart and then they were easier to use. We unfortunately, had also 3 strollers and all of our luggage too. If we only had one car seat then we could have left it on the cart and sent them both through.

I'm not sure I would strap it to my luggage and then place my child in the seat.

Will you need the carseats on the plane? If yes than this looks like a great item. However, if you only will need it to transport the kids faster, my DD just "sat" on my rolling duffle, it will skwish in the middle, hugged the extended handle and away we went!

Just as a thought, could this be done with bungee cords and save the expense?

My sons are 3 and 1. My youngest couldn't do this and my oldest has my coordination so I am not sure I would want him to try. And yes, I would prefer them be buckled on the plane so that they stay put!!

I bought one of those also. When we went we didn't use it because of the amount of time it would take to get it off the suitcase and through security. Then you have to put it all back together on the other side.

We tried it out without really packing the suitcase and it seemed to be pretty easy and quick to attach to the top anchor tether and to the latch straps. I realize it may take longer through security but with children my ages in the small airport we are flying out of it always does anyway! :)

Anyone use it before?

I was looking at one also, but I decided to try using the latch straps and attach the carseat to the luggage that way and it works. I pulled my 2yo around the house to see if it would work and it does. She thought it was so much fun.

Those look neat, I will have to look into them for my trip in January. Thanks for the heads up.

I just throw my carseat on my stroller (with toddler walking beside me), or let the carseat straps out enough that I can wear it like a backpack while my toddler rides in his stroller. I check my wheeled suitcases, so this wouldn't help me get through the airport. Does it work with carry-on sized suitcases?

My older son's booster seat is a bit larger than the suitcase but yes it does work on it. I am just surprised no one had used one. Anyone??

Originally Posted by
These wouldn't work for infants, but the Trunki ride on kids suitcase looks fun.

http://www.target.com/gp/search/601-...t_adv_XSGT0762

These look neat but since I am needing a larger carry-on for myself I am not sure how I would pull my son and a separate wheeled case.

We have the travelling toddler and love it! It makes getting through the airport so much easier. We were always lugging the heavy carseat and it was such a pain. We pack all the stuff we need for the plane ride in the carryon and it works out great as we are hands free going through the airport. The only thing I don't like about the travelling toddler is that tons of people will stop you to ask where you got it! Even flight attendants have remarked that they've never seen this before.

As far as advice for using it goes, what seems to work well for DH is to lay the suitcase flat and then attach the carseat flat to the suitcase that way, as opposed to attaching it with the suitcase upright, if you know what I mean. Also, so you don't lose it, you can just keep the strap attached to your carseat straps while you use the carseat in your car at your destination.

HTH! :)

I was looking at one also, but I decided to try using the latch straps and attach the carseat to the luggage that way and it works. I pulled my 2yo around the house to see if it would work and it does. She thought it was so much fun.

I would think pulling it behind would cause it to be rather tippy, as you would only have one hand on it (two behind the back would be rather awkward?) and I'd be worried that someone wouldn't see behind me and might crash into my child, down so low on the ground. People bump into each other enough in a busy airport, I don't think I'd like my kid down that low, especially behind me. I'd even be a bit nervous to have them in front - rolling suitcases aren't the easiest things to steer when pushing them in front of you.

I would think pulling it behind would cause it to be rather tippy, as you would only have one hand on it (two behind the back would be rather awkward?) and I'd be worried that someone wouldn't see behind me and might crash into my child, down so low on the ground. People bump into each other enough in a busy airport, I don't think I'd like my kid down that low, especially behind me. I'd even be a bit nervous to have them in front - rolling suitcases aren't the easiest things to steer when pushing them in front of you.

It is not tippy at all. I just thought I would attach it this way instead of buying something to attach it and then maybe not even use it. Hopefully we won't have to put dd in it because we will have a stroller with us too. We can use the stroller for dd2 unless dd6 starts whining alot about the walk. She tends to drag behind us slowly.

We are leaving for Disney in a few weeks. We have a 3 year old and she is not big enough to go to Disney and not need a stroller.

I purchased the Evenflo XSport Plus Convenience Stroller - Christina at Target via Amazon.com http://www.target.com/Evenflo-XSport-Plus-Convenience-Stroller/dp/B000YZ61WC/qid=1220198040/ref=br_1_6/602-8939886-0558223?ie=UTF8&node=3579991&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1 and so far she loves it. I like it because a child can use it until they weigh 40 pounds. It rolls great and has a lot of storage. The reviews on AMAZON were great. The price was 39.00 and I received free shipping.

I was not going to Disney and pay their prices to rent a stroller.

We have the travelling toddler and love it! It makes getting through the airport so much easier. We were always lugging the heavy carseat and it was such a pain. We pack all the stuff we need for the plane ride in the carryon and it works out great as we are hands free going through the airport. The only thing I don't like about the travelling toddler is that tons of people will stop you to ask where you got it! Even flight attendants have remarked that they've never seen this before.

As far as advice for using it goes, what seems to work well for DH is to lay the suitcase flat and then attach the carseat flat to the suitcase that way, as opposed to attaching it with the suitcase upright, if you know what I mean. Also, so you don't lose it, you can just keep the strap attached to your carseat straps while you use the carseat in your car at your destination.

HTH! :)

Thank you for the advice. I imagine we will be all set then to answer lots of questions since we will have two children attached to two suitcases.

We are leaving for Disney in a few weeks. We have a 3 year old and she is not big enough to go to Disney and not need a stroller.

We will have strollers too is just that we needed a way to carry the car seats since at least the strollers fold up. As I stated before we are renting a car and do not want to pay rental charges.

It is not tippy at all, remember that you have the weight of your child plus the weight of the carseat and suitcase so it is very stable. And, if I am correct, I believe you are supposed to push it in front of you and not pull it behind you. It is supposed to be kind of like a stroller. I push it in front of me with two hands and it is fine.

We've used it a bunch of times in both domestic and international airports and I've never been concerned about anyone crashing into my child. People can definitely see you pushing a suitcase with a child in a carseat on it in front of you! It never seems that low to me either, I guess because once you tilt the suitcase back and start moving your child's feet will come way up. As far as the ease of steering goes, I guess it depends on what kind of carryon suitcase you are using. The cheaper ones don't steer very well in my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter