Traveling to WL w/ toddler & infant

Piixxii

Earning My Ears
We (3 adults -- me, sister, & mom) are traveling to WL - Villas late June with a 3 yr old & 5 mo old. It's our first trip together. We have several questions.
1. We have 1 bedroom villa. Any recommendations about floor/view/location/area for room request?
2. DD (3 yr old) loves animals. I've read mixed reviews for Animal Kingdom for her age. Any feedback on whether she is too young would be great!
3. WDW transportation question. How do buses work with infant and toddler? Do I need carseat for baby? Is it a nightmare to get seats together? We are thinking about other options than buses for Animal Kingdom / Epcot / Water parks, such as renting car or taxi or car service. Any recommendations? If we use taxi or car service do we need own carseat / booster?
4. The 3 yr old rarely uses a stroller. I'm not sure if I will need to bring a stroller for her -- I will be bringing one for the baby, as well as a baby carrier. Any suggestions about needing strollers at WL?
5. Which is better for toddler & infant -- Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon?
6. Any poolside/sun/heat recommendations for keeping infant cool (shady spots, good heat/sun protection tips, etc.)? Are there umbrellas poolside at WL pools and waterparks?
7. Have you used any of the babysitting services? Any feedback?

Are we crazy? Just kidding! Can't wait to be there!

Thanks!

2. DD (3 yr old) loves animals. I've read mixed reviews for Animal Kingdom for her age. Any feedback on whether she is too young would be great!

We took ds to AK when he was 2.5, and he loved it! I don't think she's too young at all for it. The safari ride was a big hit with him as was Rafiki's Planet Watch, Camp Minnie Mickey, and the Triceratops Spin. Plus he just enjoyed looking around. Also, he loved the play area and the dig site!

3. WDW transportation question. How do buses work with infant and toddler? Do I need carseat for baby? Is it a nightmare to get seats together? We are thinking about other options than buses for Animal Kingdom / Epcot / Water parks, such as renting car or taxi or car service. Any recommendations? If we use taxi or car service do we need own carseat / booster?

You won't need a carseat on the busses. I am a carseat fanatic; but I have managed to get over it on our WDW trips. It has never been a problem for us to get seats together. Although, sometimes I sit with the folded stroller and dh sits with ds. If you use a taxi or a car service you would need a carseat, possibly for both of them if 3 yo isn't 40 lbs yet.

4. The 3 yr old rarely uses a stroller. I'm not sure if I will need to bring a stroller for her -- I will be bringing one for the baby, as well as a baby carrier. Any suggestions about needing strollers at WL?

Your 3 yo will definitely need a stroller. WDW is a lot of walking! You can either bring hers or rent one at the parks. Personally, I prefer bringing ours.

Hope this helps you out some!-Dana

:) :D :D :D

I'll chime in too:

1)I don't have any recommendations on location, but just suggest you may want to discuss before hand who is sleeping where. At VWL there is one king in the master bedroom and a pull-out sofa in the living room. So obviously your party will have to do some sharing, so you may want to discuss before leaving.

2)AK is a wonderful parks for little ones. In fact after MK, AK is our 2 1/2 yo's DD's favorite park. Be sure not to miss the "Festival of the Lion King" show! We all love it, even our DD sits mesmorized by all the singing and dancing. Now you may not want to take your 5 month old on the safari, although I don't think they would retrict her, but it is bumpy. However your 3 yo will most likely enjoy it a bunch with being able to spot so many animals. Our DD went on it for the first time at 14 months and actually fell asleep on it!!!

3) As far as bus transportation I'm glad to hear there will be three adults with the two kiddies b/c you need those hands to hold strollers, baby stuff and of course the baby! At crowded times on the buses we have had to split up on the bus. Usually DH would take the stroller and DD would sit with me. Also when it was crowded I would have DD sit on my lap so somebody else could have a seat too. Now we go during low attendance season so you may have more crowded buses besides just opening and closing of parks. You will really enjoy the boat ride over to MK from VWL, very relaxing! And on the bigger boats you can just push the strollers on, however again if it is crowded you may want to fold the stroller down to allow more passengers on.

4) Definetly bring a stroller for your 3yo or plan on renting one!!!! There is sooooooo much walking to do at WDW she will need one!!!!! I've seen kids as old as 12 snoozing in a rented stroller b/c they have just had it! Believe me sometimes you will feel like you want a stroller for yourself!!!! :)

5)I've only been to TL, BB seems to always be having their winter maintenace when we are down there and want to go. I know they are both toddler friendly and fun. However I think BB has a big toddler play area. Don't overlook your resorts two pools. Our DD is just as delighted in our resorts pool as she is at a water park.

6) We always go in the cooler months so don't have to worry too much about significant heat like you will. Just keep slathering on that sunscreen for all of you and keep hydrated especially the little ones. There are umbrella tables around the resorts, parks, and water parks. I would also recommend strollers that have large canopies to cover the little ones. Hats with wide brims for your little ones should also be worn.

7)Sorry we've never used any of the babysitting services or clubs. Although I have read good things about them. Since there are 3 of you if you don't think an unknown babysitter will do maybe you could trade off whose watching the kids while you have some "adult" time.

Best wishes on your trip!!! Take it slow with the little ones, you'll have more fun! Try to soak up the magical atmosphere and see it through the eyes of your little ones especially your 3 yo!

Enjoy!

We used Fairy Godmothers last year and were very pleased with them. They (we got 2 because we had 3 boys from 3 families) showed up about 10-15 minutes early to get to know the kids. They each had a bag of goodies with toys and games to entertain the kids while we were out. They also had all 3 boys in bed and asleep when we returned. We would use them again; but our ds is about to turn 4 and he's looking forward to trying out some of the kids clubs.:)

We are at the AKL now with our 3 year old and 5 month old.

Our 3 year old has spend about 2 hours staring at the animals. I think you 3 year old will have a great time at AK.

We did Typhoon Lagoon last week with girls ages 6,4,and 1. Last year, we did Blizzard Beach with then ages 5 and 3. Both had great kids play areas. We loved both. Blizzard Beach was our favorite. Goofy was even in the water in his swim trunks in the kids area. If you are looking for lots of shade, Typhoon Lagoon would be your best bet. Our baby was 5 weeks last year, so she stayed home with Grandma and shade wasn't an issue. Have fun! Also, Animal Kingdom is great for all ages.

We took my 3 yo grandson in late March to AKL and he LOVED it!!! We were planning on staying there again for our NEW upcoming October trip, but decided he might like the WL so we're going to try that one.

I give 2 thumbs up for AKL and toddlers...lots of activities throughout the day and of course the animal viewing. My grandson enjoyed the story hours that we were able to attend, also.

HTH,

Donna C.

1. The only recommendation I would make would be to try to get a non-ground floor room. It is just a little more scenic. No problem with noise or anything on ground floor.

2. My answer will be more generic than just AK, but in short she will love it! We have taken our two girls to Disney for the last few years. We started with both when they were 18 months old, and will be going back this year with a 3-month old. Many people will tell you wait until they are 5+ to not waste money. I tell you, if we did that we would have missed the greatest times of our lives! Both girls came back after their 18 month old trips and could not stop talking about it for a year! This includes things at MGM and Epcot. I think all the parks can be enjoyed by all ages if you have the right attitude as a parent. Sure they cannot go on Rock N Roller Coaster, but they can still enjoy the Great Movie Ride and things that they can go on. Just walking around the parks offers a world of excitement for a toddler. Don't let some old fuddy duddy take that away from your child by telling tou they are too young!

3. We haev tried transportation and having our own car. Without question having our own car was the best. The transportation is fine, but when the young one is having a meltdown taking the hour+ bus rides back with transfer and bugging all those on teh bus can be tough. With your own car or a taxi you can leave right away and not have to fight this. We went back to the room every afternoon to let the kids have some down time. You waste too much time on the transportation system if you do this every day.

4. BRING A STROLLER. Nothing will make your trip better than those three simple words. Our five year old was a nightmare last year for the three days we went without a stroller for her. After that we rented one. It was like we traded in for a different child. The amount of walking that is done does not seem like much to an adult who is taking in the sights and sounds and conversing with their spouse, but to a small child who just wants to get to the next ride/show/food, it is an eternity. I think I read somewhere that you will walk an average of 5 miles a day at Disney. That's hard enough for an adult, let alone a child. I think children up to 8 or 9 can benefit from a stroller at Disney.

5. Both are great and offer the same type of experience. The tube rivers are fun and they can just sit or lay on your belly, or just wade in at the edge of the pools. Both parks offer good kids areas as well.

6. There are usually umbrellas around, though during busy seasons they are hard to come by.

Hope that helps!

I would suggest asking for a room near the elevator. It can be a long walk if you are at the other end of the hall. Also, in the lobby there is a big screen television that is always playing Disney movies. If you get stir-crazy in the room, you can bring the kids down there for a while. In October, they had bedtime stories by the fireplace in the store one night. You might want to check on that.

At crowded times, you may have trouble getting seats on the bus. (Not everyone is as nice as they could be about giving up a seat for a mom and small child:( ) One option is to wait for the next bus when you will be first in line and able to get the seats you need.

Definitely bring a stroller for DD! If you rent one, you don't have it to get to the buses, and that can be a long hike after a long day.

We love WL. Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter