• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling to WDW with a 9 month old and a 6 yr old

deedee2177

Disney Darling
My husband and I will be traveling to WDW the week after Thanksgiving. My son will be 9 months at the time and my step-daughter will be 6 yrs old. I'm not so worried about my step-daughter, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on traveling with the 9 month old.

We are staying at the AoA resort which I thought would be helpful in the even little guy gets too tired and I have to take him back to the room...my husband and step-daughter could stay at the park and just catch the bus back to the room.

Any other advice would be really appreciated!!

Bring a good stroller from home or rent a citi mini from an offsite company. You want a good recline and a large sunshade. If you are used to using a carrier, that's good to bring too. They have baby care centers in all the parks. Good place for nursing, feeding, etc. Make sure you bring a change of clothes and plenty of diapers and wipes with you in your bag. If you run out you can buy it but it is $$$$ in the parks. You can also bring a soft sided ice chest (nothing on rollers) with you if you need to keep stuff cold. If you can think of anything specific just ask. We travelled with my niece when she was that age and it was easy, much easier than the toddler years.

The first time we went my daughter was 7 and my son was 10 months old. It was Thanksgiving week. November was great, not too hot and not cold. It's cool enough that your son can nap in the stroller (if he is a stroller napper) and you can keep going if you like. My son was taking two short naps during the day at that age instead of one long one like he does now, so he slept in the Ergo or stroller while we did various things.

The previous poster is right about wearing too if you do that. And if you like carriers, I love my Ergo carrier especially at Disney. You can even keep it on during some rides.

The Baby Jogger City Mini stroller was great for him too. I rented it on our first trip because we flew and I couldn't bring a stroller and his car seat. We loved it so much now we have our own. And if the little girl gets tired it is big enough for her to take a turn for a little while.

The carrier comes in really handy on the bus as well, especially if you come back to the room on your own. I had my hands free.

Bring plenty of extra clothes and like the previous poster said, know where the baby care center is in each park. They are a wonderful place to stop, feed or nurse and allow both children to get a break.

Have a great time. My children loved going then and seeing all of the holiday decorations. I really want to go back during that time again.

We took a big family trip when my nephew was about 11 months. He seemed to do just great. Our party was split into multiple resorts, my parents at the Grand Floridian and 5 of us in the wilderness cabins. My sister did a really great job of taking care of "baby" things like diapers and feedings while my brother in law or the rest of the party were on a ride. There was a lot of sharing responsibilties, so I think everyone was able to have a great time despite taking care of a toddler. They brought their own stroller which saved time in and out of the parks each day.

We first took DD (now 4) when she was 9 months old, and let me just say it was a LOT easier!! :lmao:

We brought her stroller from home and just used a PNP from the resort. Make sure to pack a favorite blanket and toys so things aren't so strange.

The only issue we encountered was that it was really hot and she developed a heat/diaper rash about half way through the trip. But when you are going the heat probably won't be a problem.

Oh, I guess another "issue" we had was that she was still using a pacifer at the time and she had this great habit of taking them out of her mouth and throwing it out of the stoller without us knowing it! I brought 4 from home, left one back in the PNP at the hotel and she ended up losing the other 3 in the parks! We had to go to baby care center in one of the parks and buy new pacifiers! DH was not very happy about spending twice as much on them!!! So with the new ones I ripped off the strap from the spray fan, put the pacifer through it and attached it to the stoller!! Wish I had thought to do it BEFORE losing all the others! :rotfl2:

Have fun!

We had a family trip when granddaughter was 5 months and grandson was 5 yrs. We did have 4 adults for 2 kids, and had a great time.

Thank you all so much for your replies!! These are great tips. This is my first trip to Disney as a Mommy. So I really appreciate the advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter