Traveling to WDW just me and my 3 yr old!

LaurLaur04

Mouseketeer
Hey guys! I am a single mother and I have decided to take my daughter to WDW for her 3rd birthday. She is absolutely Mickey obsessed! We are going Sept 17-25th (her birthday is the 18th). My parents are telling me I am insane for wanting to do this trip alone with her. Her dad is rarely a part of her life and I feel bad for her not having the family she deserves, and I really want to bond with her. In my eyes its a great idea, and we will have so much fun together. My family tells me I will be miserable the whole time with no adults to help me or to talk too. Are my expectations too high? Should I just cancel the whole thing?

I have already planned that if we go we are going to do whatever she wants to do, at her pace, and I don't care if I get to miss my favorite things. This trip would be all about her! Planning to take naps every afternoon and have a day or 2 to just relax!! Also thinking about MNNSHP...not her first trip, we went last year and she LOVED IT! But we went with my ENTIRE family (8!) and it was miserable trying to please everyone. Would like to do whatever WE want this time! What are your opinions guys? Thanks!

Mommy :flower3: Madi princess:

No way! I think this is an awesome idea! If you are fine with going solo with your girl, then go for it! I think that your plan sounds great and your expectations are totally do-able. I think you two are going to have a great mommy and daughter trip!

Good luck!! I'm a single mom also and I'm taking my 5 year old DD in May, just the two of us. A little nervous, but we're going to have a great time. We're going to do a couple princess meals princess: that I know she'll enjoy. If we don't see the whole park, we dont' see the whole park... it'll just make me want to go back next year, lol.

No one has told me it's a bad idea. The only thing that my mom told me to do, was not to tell her at all. Just have her pack her suitcase and tell her we're going on a trip :)

Go, go, go!!! ;) One of the best trips we ever had was just myself and my 2 older kids when they were 3yo and 4 1/2yo. I love my dh, but even then, my kids and I are both the kind to be at the parks from open to close going strong...him, not so much. ;) Anyway, we just had an AWESOME time and never once did I regret not having another adult(s) with me...I think it's nice sometimes.

We were there with our 3 year old DD last December. It was a very rainy day and we had eaten at CRT. We didn't want to get our pictures wet, so DH left us in the park and took them back to the resort. I wound up getting 1 1/2 hours alone at MK with my 3 year old. I love DH, but that was a fantasic 1 1/2 hours. It was great Mom/DD bonding time. We had a blast. I would love to have had more time with just the 2 of us. I think you have a fantastic idea! The only time it might get difficult is when/if there is a melt down, but you are a single Mom so you handle that stuff by yourself all the time anyway. No adults to talk to? Alot of the time I prefer to talk to DD or other kids over adults! ;) Plus, we have never had trouble making friends or finding people to talk to at WDW. Have a great time!

Hey guys! I am a single mother and I have decided to take my daughter to WDW for her 3rd birthday. She is absolutely Mickey obsessed! We are going Sept 17-25th (her birthday is the 18th). So is one of my best friends, so happy (early) birthday to your DD. A great day indeed :) My parents are telling me I am insane for wanting to do this trip alone with her. Her dad is rarely a part of her life and I feel bad for her not having the family she deserves, and I really want to bond with her. In my eyes its a great idea, and we will have so much fun together. My family tells me I will be miserable the whole time with no adults to help me or to talk too. Are my expectations too high? Should I just cancel the whole thing? No way. I went on a mommy/dd trip when DD had just turned 5 and it was FABULOUS (we had been a few months before as a family, but DH is just not as in to WDW as DD and I are).

I have already planned that if we go we are going to do whatever she wants to do, at her pace, and I don't care if I get to miss my favorite things. This trip would be all about her! Planning to take naps every afternoon and have a day or 2 to just relax!! Also thinking about MNNSHP...not her first trip, we went last year and she LOVED IT! But we went with my ENTIRE family (8!) and it was miserable trying to please everyone. Would like to do whatever WE want this time! What are your opinions guys? Thanks!

Mommy :flower3: Madi princess:

I think you guys will have a great time. When it was just myself and DD, it was a short trip, but we flew down on a Friday AM and spent Friday at DTD shopping and having lunch, went back to our resort and swam a little, then has dinner ressie's at 1900 Park Faire. We had an 8 AM breakfast ressie at CP at MK and then spent the whole day at MK going at DD's pace. We did what she wanted to do....some things over and over, like it's a small world and after trip #6 around the world, often times in a boat by ourselves, I told her NO MORE :). Then on Sunday we again, hung out at the resort and took a nap before MNSSHP and then headed to MK for the party. We had THE best time and have some great pics for memories.

I think your plan sounds great. Just going at a slower pace to me is fun. And in September that should be soooo easy.

Have fun.

You both are going to have a great time!!! She will love spending the time with you and I think your strategy of going at her pace is perfect! Enjoy!

I took my twin boys (age 6) and it was just the BEST TIME!! We had such a great time that we extended our trip by 3 days! I will NEVER regret having taken this trip, and I had plenty of naysayers too. At one point, while there, my son said "Mom, you have so many friends at Disney World!":rotfl: Part of going without another adults is striking up very interesting conversations with strangers!

Do it! And disregard those who are advising you against it. Maybe they are just jealous...:rotfl:

Actually, I'm leaving in a week and its just me and my Godchild (my best friend's son) who's 5 y/o. I am a bit nervous but mostly excited and prepared for the best trip ever being my first trirp with a child!:thumbsup2
Go for it!!!!!

I agree with everyone else. Do it!!

I took my DS on a mother-son trip this past December for an early birthday present for him...and I can tell you, without a doubt, it will be one of my best memories of his childhood...just the two of us, at Disney, at christmas. It was truly magical and I wouldn't trade those few days for the Hope Diamond.:cloud9: You will never regret time spent bonding with your child. Have a wonderful time!! :goodvibes

I also agree. I think it is a fabulous idea. Go and enjoy yourselves.

I am also a single mom & I'm taking my DS5 for a surprise trip to WDW in July. I can't wait! I've taken my older DS to WDW & other trips just the 2 of us & we always have a blast! It's great to have that one-on-one time with each of my boys when we go places because there is such an age difference between them. It's nice to share things with each them that they individually enjoy without the other one nagging that they're bored.

Have a great time!

Do it! I was a single mom for many years, took many trips to WDW with just my daughter. They're still some of our best moments and best memories. It's very doable, and the one-on-one time is just great!

I took my 3.5 yr old DD on a Mommy/DD Princess trip in 2006. DD was obsessed with the princesses at that age. It was a wonderful trip and one of my favorite trips. We did as you mentioned, going at her pace and doing the stuff she wanted. It was her first trip to WDW. We started the trip with a visit to the BBB and dinner at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella. We used the Magical Express service so I didn't have to worry about carting luggage around and a 3 yr old. The trip went very smoothly and we had a great time. She still remembers things and it will be one of the most cherished trips I will ever take!

Single mommy here too. Ds8 had his first trip @ 20 months with me and the Grands. Since then we've gone with and without company. By far my favorite times have been just us. I think our first trip alone was somewhere in the 3's. here's the deal-you do what you want, when you want. You're not on anyone's else schedule. you can sleep in or make rope drop every day if you want. Its our magical place!

Just remember to be flexible. And don't let guilt open your purse strings:rolleyes1

i've had to cancel a few meals as I saw Ds melting down (and he's really not a melter-even @ the world) -but such is life.

have a great time.

Single mom here too. I took my son who is 4 1/2 now to Disneyland at 2 1/2 and then to Disneyworld for his 3rd birthday which is Sept 17.:) Both trips were completely awesome - he loved having mommy all to himself and it was such a relaxing trip.

The thing that I love about Disney as a single mom is that at Disney we get some down time because our children are so enthralled by all the sights and activities that we can just enjoy being with them rather than the sole focus of their attention.

You are going to have such a wonderful trip and be able to just enjoy hanging out together and not have to worry about anyone else. :yay:

I never would have deliberately chosen to be a single mom but I have to say I absolutely love it. We have such a great life together - I feel so lucky to have my son.:banana: He is so much fun and he loves Disney so much.

We are heading there April 24-May 2 with another single mom and her daughter. My friend is doing the whole Princess thing with her daughter - makeover and lunch at CRT - I am so excited for them. I think it is so important as single moms to make fun memories with our children - they grow up so fast.

Another single mom here... I've taken two trips with my DS one at 5yo(first visit) and one at 7yo. You will not regret it and you will discover a whole world of possibilities after you return. I think Disney is the perfect vacation partner for single parents. We stay on site, Disney does the driving, cooking, cleaning and entertaining for a whole week. CAN IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT!!!! Don't hesitate to ask CMs or other guest to take your picture. That was the one thing I worried about the most. We have tons of pictures of the two of us. Go and have the time of your lives.

Go head and have a great time! Im a single mom and im going with family this time around just to experience the big thrill rides so when i go alone with the kiddos in the future i wont feel like im missing out on much because ive did it already so ill be there just to enjoy the atmosphere and watch my kiddos have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter