Traveling to Orlando by Amtrak!

Sav&Seb

Earning My Ears
I am traveling my my two kids from NYC to Orlando by Amtrak in April. We have flown many times but never gone on the train and I'm a bit nervous! We do have a roomette to sleep in at night, so hoping that we are able to get some sleep. Does anyone have any tips for me? My kids are 4 and 8. Also, is it easy catching a taxi from there to my hotel? I am staying at the Radisson Resort in Kissimmee. Thanks in advance.

I am traveling my my two kids from NYC to Orlando by Amtrak in April. We have flown many times but never gone on the train and I'm a bit nervous! We do have a roomette to sleep in at night, so hoping that we are able to get some sleep. Does anyone have any tips for me? My kids are 4 and 8. Also, is it easy catching a taxi from there to my hotel? I am staying at the Radisson Resort in Kissimmee. Thanks in advance.

In the past I have found several posters who are seasoned "Disneyites" and have used Amtrak for their trips and post regularly on the transportation board. Here is a sample. The thread is 33 pages long, starts in 2010 and is current through today's date.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2386340

This is not the only thread about Amtrak travel to WDW but it was the first one I found. I would bet that most of your questions and concerns would be answered in this post or any of the others that are similar.

I have never taken Amtrak to WDW but have used it several times round trip from Atlanta to NYC, both with and without a roomette. All of my experiences have been positive and I would rather use Amtrak than fly any time, any where if I can. We have grandchildren the ages of your kids and would rather travel on the train with them than in a car, plane or bus. Just being able to move around some, look out the window at the countryside, nap in the room, all of these positive factors that come immediately to mind. The roomette is a wise investment.

One thing you may want to consider is ear plugs. The whistle blows at EVERY crossing and depending on where your car is located in the train, it might wake you up. It was only a problem for us once and ear plugs solved it for my light sleeping spouse.

Sorry I cannot help you with your taxi question. You might check to see if your hotel offers a shuttle to the station.

I have done the Amtrak from Philadelphia to Orlando 3 times. The first time it was just me & my daughter (3 at the time). The next trip was with my daughter (7 this time) & hubby, while I was pregnant. The last train trip was just last fall with hubby, daughter (13 now) & son (5) and we actually took the train to the Kissimmee station.

I would recommend packing a small cooler bag with snacks and drinks to save some money. Pack a few goodies to entertain them. There are power outlets at every set of seats now, which is an improvement from the first trip. We did not have a sleep car, but had no problems sleeping.

We used a car service to pick us up. He stopped at a grocery store for us on the way to the hotel so we could stock up. The rate was very reasonable and he was very professional. http://www.orlandotaxiservice.webs.com/

I found that the round trip rate using this service was less than I had paid for roundtrip for those taxi/vans you can catch at the Orlando train station.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!

Hi just wondering if you already went on your trip or are on it? How was your experience? I too am thinking o using Amtrak Auto train.

although i didn't have a trip as long as yours, i did take the train from nc! loved it. it's in my trip report under my signature. you will like it i think, with proper preparation. i'm guessing that you've already gone, so how did it go?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter