• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling to London solo, first time international traveler

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I’m planning a trip to London and Manchester, UK for summer 2022 (wanted to go this summer but don’t think it will happen). This will be my first international trip and I’m going solo. I’m meeting up with friends over there. I’ve been reading London travel tips and guides. I think I’ll be staying in Covent Garden or south by the Tate Modern/Tower of London. I’ll be on a modest budget for accommodations and have a shortlist of attractions I’d like to see. Any advice for a solo first time international traveler is appreciated. Thanks!

Traveling solo is awesome! I do it often. My first international trip was partially solo as well. It's hard to time and plan things with others so I often go alone. You can do exactly what you want to do. I think it's great you are going solo because so many people won't travel solo. I'm not sure what kind of specific solo advice there is, especially since it seems like you won't really be solo while you are there. London is great and very safe and there is tons to do. Make sure you keep copies of your passport and credit cards and maybe upload a picture to the cloud/email it to yourself. If I think of other things I will post them.

Traveling solo is awesome! I do it often. My first international trip was partially solo as well. It's hard to time and plan things with others so I often go alone. You can do exactly what you want to do. I think it's great you are going solo because so many people won't travel solo. I'm not sure what kind of specific solo advice there is, especially since it seems like you won't really be solo while you are there. London is great and very safe and there is tons to do. Make sure you keep copies of your passport and credit cards and maybe upload a picture to the cloud/email it to yourself. If I think of other things I will post them.
I’m a bit nervous making it through the airport and customs as I’ve only travelled by myself domestically. Trying to keep luggage to a minimum but probably bringing a medium suitcase and rolling carryon and have been researching Travelon and Pacsafe crossbody handbags and RFID travel wallets for keeping my documents and cards safe.

Went to London in 2012. It was awesome. I initially was going to go solo. My friend called me and was like I just did my taxes can I come with you. Stayed in Russell Square. We we purchased a London Pass at Heathrow, then got a 7 day Oyster card for Zone 1&2 with enough extra on it for 2 airport trips. The London pass got us into a bunch of different attractions, loved the Thames River boat cruise. Booked tickets to tour Buckingham Palace. Took a train to Edinburgh for a day trip. Also took a train out to Windsor to tour the castle.

Next year is the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. There’s a extra bank holiday in June for it.

Travel tip wise: get a credit card with zero foreign transactions fees if you don’t have one so you don’t get charged extra when you use it. Give a friend back home a copy of your passport, travel itinerary and stuff. Try not to cause international incidents and have fun.

I’m a bit nervous making it through the airport and customs as I’ve only travelled by myself domestically. Trying to keep luggage to a minimum but probably bringing a medium suitcase and rolling carryon and have been researching Travelon and Pacsafe crossbody handbags and RFID travel wallets for keeping my documents and cards safe.

Honestly you can't really do anything wrong with the airport and customs. They will guide you through everything. It's not like you can miss a step. A medium suitcase and rolling carryon sound like a lot to be honest. I often travel for 2 weeks internationally with just a rolling carry on. I don't want to deal with a whole bunch of bags. And honestly I never worry about the cut-resistant bags and money wallets and travel wallets, etc. I've lived in a big city and as long as you are generally aware you will be fine.

I agree with @Skippyboo about getting a travel card with no foreign transaction fees.

Went to London in 2012. It was awesome. I initially was going to go solo. My friend called me and was like I just did my taxes can I come with you. Stayed in Russell Square. We we purchased a London Pass at Heathrow, then got a 7 day Oyster card for Zone 1&2 with enough extra on it for 2 airport trips. The London pass got us into a bunch of different attractions, loved the Thames River boat cruise. Booked tickets to tour Buckingham Palace. Took a train to Edinburgh for a day trip. Also took a train out to Windsor to tour the castle.

Next year is the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. There’s a extra bank holiday in June for it.

Travel tip wise: get a credit card with zero foreign transactions fees if you don’t have one so you don’t get charged extra when you use it. Give a friend back home a copy of your passport, travel itinerary and stuff. Try not to cause international incidents and have fun.
Thanks for the credit card tip. I just looked up my card and it charges 3%.

Honestly you can't really do anything wrong with the airport and customs. They will guide you through everything. It's not like you can miss a step. A medium suitcase and rolling carryon sound like a lot to be honest. I often travel for 2 weeks internationally with just a rolling carry on. I don't want to deal with a whole bunch of bags. And honestly I never worry about the cut-resistant bags and money wallets and travel wallets, etc. I've lived in a big city and as long as you are generally aware you will be fine.

I agree with @Skippyboo about getting a travel card with no foreign transaction fees.
Thanks for the luggage advice. I’m so used to overpacking my family for WDW and having room for souvenirs. 😂 I’m going to try and pack a capsule wardrobe but not sure I can manage just a carryon.

The crossbody bag is a good idea. If you are going to be in London touristy areas, one of those flat passport/credit card things that hangs around your neck and goes under your shirt is useful. Pickpocketing there is an art form.

Ditto on too much luggage. If you take a couple of jeans and a couple pair of black pants, 6-7 solid color tops and a couple of sweaters/jackets you can get it all in one roller bag. Two pair comfortable shoes (one of which you will wear). Pack a day bag (or backpack) for cosmetics, meds, reading material, passport and other travel docs. Leave a copy of your passport and itinerary with friend in states.

For a place to stay, have you considered a hostel? Or perhaps a VRBO staying in a room of someone's house?

As mentioned, get a credit card that doesn't charge fx fees and before you leave make sure you tell them where you are traveling. See what provisions your phone has for international calls. It varies by carrier...you might need to purchase a short-term international plan. Or, it may already allow international at a reasonable rate.

Have fun!

The crossbody bag is a good idea. If you are going to be in London touristy areas, one of those flat passport/credit card things that hangs around your neck and goes under your shirt is useful. Pickpocketing there is an art form.

Ditto on too much luggage. If you take a couple of jeans and a couple pair of black pants, 6-7 solid color tops and a couple of sweaters/jackets you can get it all in one roller bag. Two pair comfortable shoes (one of which you will wear). Pack a day bag (or backpack) for cosmetics, meds, reading material, passport and other travel docs. Leave a copy of your passport and itinerary with friend in states.

For a place to stay, have you considered a hostel? Or perhaps a VRBO staying in a room of someone's house?

As mentioned, get a credit card that doesn't charge fx fees and before you leave make sure you tell them where you are traveling. See what provisions your phone has for international calls. It varies by carrier...you might need to purchase a short-term international plan. Or, it may already allow international at a reasonable rate.

Have fun!

Should I try for one wheeled carryon and personal bag or one checked bag and personal bag but not all 3?
On another thread I posted specifically about hotels, I got recs for budget hotel chains Premier inn and Travelodge. Both have really great rates in my price range but not sure if rates will go up once regular travel resumes.

I purchased a small black Travelon crossbody at TJMaxx for a great price but I kinda like this more stylish one which is a little larger. Will this draw too much attention? BAC14DE5-31F3-4EFE-B159-78200E8D8721.png

Last edited:
Pre-covid I traveled internationally frequently. I love my Pacsafe purse. Wearing it cross body makes it harder to grab and run.

Definitely try to limit luggage. A carryon and personal item can be enough if you pack smart. I have a backpack I use as a personal item, but leave enough space to stuff my purse down in there. I always put a change of clothes in the bottom of it. I had my suitcase inadvertently taken at a shuttle bus stop once and it took 36 hours to get it back to me. (The guy left his purple suitcase there, he felt really badly.) I also pack what I might want on the plane - warm socks, a pashmina which works as a blanket on the plane, a scarf while traveling, even a hood if it's misty out. Medications, my retainer, an empty water bottle I fill once past security. Europe has lots of trains/subways with stairs and no elevators - try to travel light so you're not lugging suitcases thru all that.

My travel wardrobe does not reflect my day to day wardrobe. Several black stretchy pants, in technical fabrics that repel dirt. Check out REI and those sorts of places. Shirts that are easy to wash in a hotel sink and dry quickly if I need to. I spruce all this up with a light weight bright scarf or jewelry. London is a walking city. Bring comfortable shoes. Unless you're going out clubbing, you don't really need fancy shoes.

Don't get Euros from those exchange booths in the airport. They have terrible rates. Find an ATM and choose the Euro conversion rate (it will ask something about wanting choosing the conversation rate to dollars right then or later at the bank - always choose local for a better rate.)

If you travel much domestically, consider getting a Global Entry. It will work as TSA pre-check at home, and will make coming back into the US easy breezy.

Are your friends from London? If so, then you'll be good to go since they'll have it all figured out. If everyone is converging on London, look at getting an Oyster card. Its the contactless card used on the subway, buses, and trains. You can get it at the airport, and refill it as needed at most subway/train stations.

Hi all, I’m planning a trip to London and Manchester, UK for summer 2022 (wanted to go this summer but don’t think it will happen). This will be my first international trip and I’m going solo. I’m meeting up with friends over there. I’ve been reading London travel tips and guides. I think I’ll be staying in Covent Garden or south by the Tate Modern/Tower of London. I’ll be on a modest budget for accommodations and have a shortlist of attractions I’d like to see. Any advice for a solo first time international traveler is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi I lived in London for 4 years and just loved exploring on my own on my days off :) The Covent Garden to Piccadilly area is a very tourist area and is basically right in the centre of everything, the image people think of when they think of London.

Since moving out of London I have returned about once a year to visit friends. I stay at budget friendly places, my budget is usually around £100 per night.

I then choose by chain and location. I only choose hotels which are either across the street from or less than 5 /10 minutes walk from a tube station. I mainly stay at Travelodge and check the rates in various locations. The chains I would recommend would be Travelodge, Best Western and Premier Inn, in order of low price to high price.

I have stayed at
Travelodge Covent Garden - about 10 minutes walk from Covent Garden Tube Station
Travelodge Southwark - across the street from Southwark Tube Station on The Jubilee Line
Travelodge Marylebone - across the street from Marleybone Tube Station on the Bakerloo Line
Best Western Buckingham Palace Road - 5 minutes walk from Victoria Tube and Train Station

As a solo traveller to London, I would advice a medium roller, approx 25 pounds weight for checked in luggage and a backpack for carryon.

When you land at the airport you will need to get yourself into central London and to your hotel. The easiest and fastest way is by public transport, either Tube from Heathrow or train from Gatwick. I have done both journeys hundreds of times. You will need to be able to manage your luggage by yourself up and down elevators and stairs and walk along corridors , both in the airport and at tube stations. Trust me, you will need both hands to manage your roller on the escalators, so a backpack will be a godsend. You will be amazed at how much you will walk with your luggage.

Transatlantic flights have a weight limit of 50 pounds, but for a first timer I would not advice having a 50 pound roller. After years of solo travel to and from London, I am fine with 50 pound roller, but its not easy.

I would have a small cross body bag for your essentials such as travel documents , phone, wallet etc just so you don't have to keep rooting in your backpack for stuff. But you might find that you end up putting the cross body into your backpack as it is annoying you as you manhandle your roller on the escalators. And yes I am saying escalators and stairs. There are elevators but they may be out of service or add extra time to your transfer journeys, so many times I don't even try to find them and just use the escalators.

And stairs. Sometimes the escalators are out of service and some stations only have stairs to transfer around the station. So again, you should be capable of manhandling all your luggage yourself up and down stairs.

Thanks for the luggage advice. I’m so used to overpacking my family for WDW and having room for souvenirs. 😂 I’m going to try and pack a capsule wardrobe but not sure I can manage just a carryon.

No need to try to just have carryon, but defiantly be aware of weight for your luggage. And remember that you will be buying things, not just souvenirs but most likely clothes. Pack less then you think and you will most likely not even use / wear everything you do actually bring.

Should I try for one wheeled carryon and personal bag or one checked bag and personal bag but not all 3?
On another thread I posted specifically about hotels, I got recs for budget hotel chains Premier inn and Travelodge. Both have really great rates in my price range but not sure if rates will go up once regular travel resumes.

One wheeled carryon and one backpack and one small cross body which can be put into the backpack. If you see a good rate, book it if it is just a reservation. The pay in advance rates are usually cheaper but they have cancellation fees. The ones which are just a reservation can usually be cancelled up to 24 hours before arrival.

I purchased a small black Travelon crossbody at TJMaxx for a great price but I kinda like this more stylish one which is a little larger. Will this draw too much attention?

Don't worry about being stylish, or drying attention. London is a very multi cultural, ethically diverse and tourist city city. Don't try to dress fancy, dress how you would at home. One of my favourite hobbies when I lived in London was spot the tourist. It was very easy to spot the tourists, dress in their fancy / smart holiday clothes , whereas locals just dressed regular. The tourists had smart stylish fancy bags which they clutched to their chest, locals had backpacks or gym bags and kept their phones and wallets in zipped pockets.

Pre-covid I traveled internationally frequently. I love my Pacsafe purse. Wearing it cross body makes it harder to grab and run.

Definitely try to limit luggage. A carryon and personal item can be enough if you pack smart. I have a backpack I use as a personal item, but leave enough space to stuff my purse down in there. I always put a change of clothes in the bottom of it. I had my suitcase inadvertently taken at a shuttle bus stop once and it took 36 hours to get it back to me. (The guy left his purple suitcase there, he felt really badly.) I also pack what I might want on the plane - warm socks, a pashmina which works as a blanket on the plane, a scarf while traveling, even a hood if it's misty out. Medications, my retainer, an empty water bottle I fill once past security. Europe has lots of trains/subways with stairs and no elevators - try to travel light so you're not lugging suitcases thru all that.
You can get it at the airport, and refill it as needed at most subway/train stations.

Definatly agree with this. When I travel I always have a set of clothes for one day and anything which is important like medication, electronics and travel documents in my carryon. I also have mini toiletries such as deodorant, sunscreen, toothbrush etc. Defiantly agree with making sure you have a large water bottle for the flight, the FA will give you water, but its always better to have your own. The clothes you wear on the flight matter too, you need to be comfortable but at the same time be aware of the weather at your destination. A hoody is very useful, as when you land your body will need to adjust to the new temperature.

My travel wardrobe does not reflect my day to day wardrobe. Several black stretchy pants, in technical fabrics that repel dirt. Check out REI and those sorts of places. Shirts that are easy to wash in a hotel sink and dry quickly if I need to. I spruce all this up with a light weight bright scarf or jewelry. London is a walking city. Bring comfortable shoes. Unless you're going out clubbing, you don't really need fancy shoes.

Totally agree with this. Think of London like going to a Disney park. You want comfortable clothes and good walking shoes. Don't worry about being smart or fancy, its better to blend in and not look like a tourist :) Match your clothes to your activity. If you are just going around the shops and, museums and tourist attractions, then jeans or leggings and a tshirt and hoody with sneakers will be just fine. If you are going to a fancy hotel for afternoon tea, then you might want something a bit smarter, maybe something you would wear to work.

And if you are going to a West End show, no you don't have to be fancy. I went to a lot of shows when I lived in London, and I never dressed fancy. I wore jeans and a hoody, lol

Don't get Euros from those exchange booths in the airport. They have terrible rates. Find an ATM and choose the Euro conversion rate (it will ask something about wanting choosing the conversation rate to dollars right then or later at the bank - always choose local for a better rate.)

This I need to correct. London is in England and the currency is £ pounds Sterling, not Euros. To use the ATM's is a good tip, but the cards need to be chip and pin for ATM's and other self service machines.

Are your friends from London? If so, then you'll be good to go since they'll have it all figured out. If everyone is converging on London, look at getting an Oyster card. Its the contactless card used on the subway, buses, and trains. You can get it at the airport, and refill it as needed at most subway/train stations.

This is MUST DO for London.

Check out Revolut, the card charges no fees abroad which is super important because more and more places in London don’t take cash. Contactless cards are even better. You can also exchange money ahead of time when you see a good rate.

Have a look at Thomas Exchange in London as you can preorder your currency at a set exchange rate with no commission. But really card over cash most of the time is preferred.

Wear comfy shoes, even just getting out of a tube station is a long way sometimes!

Dowload Citymapper it’s great for planning your route, or Google maps is pretty accurate too. Check a map before you get the tube, sometimes it’s actually faster to walk than go 1 or 2 stops as the stations are close together. In general never get the tube from Covent Garden, it’s a lift access station and takes ages to get in and out especially at peak times. It can get really busy! Walk to Leicester Square station just round the corner.

If you are coming in August it will probably rain. A lot. Bring an umbrella or a good small waterproof.

I used to take the bus if I didn't have a specific time to be at my destination. On a day where my plan would be to explore an area and then go to a museum, I would take the bus. If I had a timed entry for a tourist attraction or show or if I was meeting my friends at a specific location and time I would take the tube. While the tube is a fast method of transport, there can often be a long escalator ride and long walk between the entry turnstile and the actual platform.

Lots of good advice already. Definitely get a travel size umbrella and keep it in your bag and accessible, even in your carry on for the flight.
Bring a reusable bag, there is a charge for bags in shops.
Ensure that you have a CC with no foreign transaction fees and bring a back up card. Notify your CC co in advance about your travel plans but having a backup just in case is a good idea because things happen.
Keep a record of your cc#s and their customer service #s in a separate location, just in case. I tend to bring a small notebook with this info, along with notes and details about what I'd like to do, hours of operation, closest tube stop, etc.
The Citymapper app is great but I also have a small travel map that I keep in my bag. Ditto a paper tube map.
See about a bank that has branches or a partnership in the UK. For example, Bank of America has a partnership with Barclays so you can use Barclays ATMs without fees to draw currency in pounds sterling direct from your bank account. There's a nominal fee but it's still cheaper rates than exchanging currency. Also, if you do this, note in advance where ATMs are located.
Look at where you'll stay and where you want to go. Staying down by the Tower will be amazing but be prepared to add time in for the tube or bus ride. And remember, rush hour is a thing.
When paying by cc if there's an option to pay in $ always select pounds sterling, the exchange rate will be better.
Check with your cel carrier about roaming and international service and charges. Also on what you'll need to do to make sure your phone is ready to go when you land in the UK.
I don't know what your interests are but there are a number of Roman ruins throughout the city, found underneath existing buildings. The Temple of Mithras and the tour of the Roman bath are both free (but the bath tour requires reservations in advance and may only happen 1 day a week). On our last trip we tracked a lot of these down and it was extremely cool.
There are wild parrots/parakeets in Hyde park. Bring an apple. We spent several hours in the park with them one day, feeding them. Yes they are wild but they will perch on you to feed. It was extremely cool and one of the hi-lights of our last trip. Also note this if you don't like birds (there was a woman walking through the midst of it at one point screaming into her phone "I hate birds, this is NOT ideal!")
As far as luggage, bring what you're comfortable hauling. You may have to carry that bag up and down stairs. My preferred method when I travel is a wheeled carry on and a personal item that slips over the handle. Personal item (Lo and Sons OG) has a crossbody strap if I need it. Wheeled carry on is light enough for me to put into the overhead compartment or carry up and down a flight or two of stairs when fully packed. Make sure those wheels are good as the sidewalks may not be. I carry a nylon crossbody in my luggage for use during my trip. I also bring a packable duffle (Eddie Bauer and LeSportSac are what I have) rolled up in my luggage so if I need space in my bag for the trip home I have it (laundry goes into the duffle and the duffle gets checked).
Try not to overpack. If you forget something you can always buy what you need. Think comfortable shoes and easily coordinated clothing pieces.
And have fun! The UK is one of my absolute favorite places and I can't wait to have an excuse to go back.

I’ve traveled London solo as well. Loved it!
Only thing I can add to all of the good advice above is to ask your CC company to give you a “contactless” card. The advantage is that you can use the card just like one of the “oyster” tube cards…just tap your card to get in and tap to get out. Using your contactless credit card gives you a discount on tube rides! Don’t waste time getting the Oyster card if you have a cc that will do it for you. (A contactless card also makes paying for other things easier since they don’t require a signature or pin.)
have fun!

I’ve traveled London solo as well. Loved it!
Only thing I can add to all of the good advice above is to ask your CC company to give you a “contactless” card. The advantage is that you can use the card just like one of the “oyster” tube cards…just tap your card to get in and tap to get out. Using your contactless credit card gives you a discount on tube rides! Don’t waste time getting the Oyster card if you have a cc that will do it for you. (A contactless card also makes paying for other things easier since they don’t require a signature or pin.)
have fun!

great advice, but you need to make sure the contactless bank card does not have foreign transaction fees. One of my Irish friends used her contactless Irish bank card on the transport system in London and every time she taped in on the buses and tubes, each journey was charged a foreign transaction fee. UK people don't realize this as their bank cards are the same currency.

I thought of some other things...some you may already be aware of.
You'll need an adaptor for the electrical outlets. Some things like your phone/computer/tablet may be dual voltage and will be fine but you'll still need an adapter for the wall plugs. Also, some wall plugs have off/on switches on them. So you may be plugged in but not have any power going to your item if the switch is off.
In some hotels you'll find that the floor of the tub is higher than the bathroom floor. This won't be a big deal but you will notice it when you step out of the tub and onto the floor. It can easily catch you by surprise and with wet feet, can be a risk of fall. Just be aware.
Chocolate, cheese and ice cream will all be amazing BTW.

Thank you all for such fantastic information! My head is spinning and I need to process.

My everyday wear is a cross between casual, edgy, and fancy. I mostly wear Lularoe tops, dresses and leggings, skinny, boyfriend, and wideleg pants and jeans, tops, tees, and dresses from The Gap. I'm planning for beginning of August and am mentally prepared for rain. I'll do some practice packing to see what luggage to take. I'm mostly worried about packing all my toiletries. I'm medium maintenance with hair and makeup. I have this old bag from QVC called The Freedom Bag and I usually pack everything (except meds and essentials) in there and put in my checked luggage.

I've looked into TSA Pre-check and Global Entey but have not applied. Will have to look at it more closely again.

I'm not used to just using my CC card or hitting up the atm while on holiday. I'm used to taking my card, cash and/or traveler's checks. I'll have to wrap my head around it but I'll have a friend with me who can help me navigate it when there.

Keep all the good info coming and any experiences!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter