• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling the WB Repo 2008 with an ex - FINISHED with PICS

Woohoo! A day at Aruba! This morning was another late start for us. We got up around 8:30 a.m. I cannot believe how late we sleep, must be on vacation! My parents called and asked what our plans were for the day. We had nothing booked so we said we would meet them on shore after we got done with breakfast. Went to Parrot Cay for breakfast for a buffet. Yesterday morning’s scrambled eggs were really runny up on Topsiders but this morning’s eggs were firmer. The kids do really well with breakfast but lunch and dinner are a hit and miss.

We finally disembarked after renting a stroller from guest services. For those who don’t know it, you can borrow a stroller (3 wheeled jogging type) with a $200 deposit. When you return it, they credit your account again for $200. It just so happens we met up with my parents right on the dock inside the gated area. Aruba has a tourist building inside the gates with a few small stores and an information center. Outside, you have to pass through the gates. There were people inside the building making balloon animals, which DD 6 lost hers right away so we had to backtrack because she cried hard. Outside, my dad had bargained with a tour guide couple to give us a 2 ½ hour tour for $15 each. Apparently, some of the tour guides have an agreement where they can park inside the gates and solicit business from the cruisers. This particular tourism business had a mini van and 1 driver and another guide who rode along and told us about the stops.

The 6 of us piled in and were taken on a tour of the island. I think they said Aruba was 19 miles long so it wasn’t very big. The weather was hot and dry in the high 80s. We traveled to some rock formation where we climbed up and were able to view 40% of the island.
Aruba1.jpg

Next we traveled around the country area and they told us about their government, schools, medical practices and the price of living. Then we went to the opposite side of the island which was the desert area. All of Aruba is rocky with scrubby brush and grass growing. There are hardly any domesticated animals raised for food, they rely on a lot of fish and seafood. Their water supply is pumped from the ocean and purified for them. I loved the Aruban version of a fence:
Aruba2.jpg

We did not see any green lawns except in the very rich part of town and the golf course.
Aruba4.jpg

The desert was really pretty and the ocean drive was scenic. We stopped at several places to take pictures and could stay as long as we wanted, we weren’t on a time schedule like other tours.
Aruba3.jpg

After the desert, we went to the “tropical area” and toured a gated community of rich people. We also drove by a new community being built which was only being sold to Americans. We got to see Sylvester Stallone’s former house.

Our final trip was along the oceanfront with their beautiful beaches and fancy hotels, apartments and condos. The beaches were gorgeous, white sand and all.
Aruba5.jpg

They told us there are no solicitors on the beaches (only people who will rent you chairs) and that the crime rate is less than 1%. Then we found out that everything is legal there like Marijuana, Prostitutes, domestic violence, etc. . .

I have to say I really enjoyed our tour and the guides were friendly. I would do it again if I got a chance and I liked the flexibility to be offered choices on what destinations to see.

After they brought us back, we walked around town for a while checking out the markets. I am not into Diamonds or jewelry so we didn’t go in any of those stores but they were plentiful. X, DD 6 and I walked several blocks to a bank to exchange some money. I wanted some for a souvenir. I went inside and there was a police officer standing there. He confronted me and told me to remove my cap. Whoops! I didn’t see the sign that said no hats or sunglasses. I felt really naughty after that.

My daughter bought a flute, and hasn’t stopped playing it. I think it may have to “accidentally” get lost sometime soon. I bought a few secret mickey gifts for the kids that we have to give to.

We got back to the ship around 1:30, had a quick lunch and then off to the pool. It was pretty quiet around the ship, everyone was gone.

Tonight was tropical night and Lumiere’s menu was A Taste of the Caribbean. My meal consisted of a Chutney Flat bread, a soup with seafood bits in it and a spiced roast chicken. They were pretty good. DD 3 fell asleep before dinner so we brought the stroller in and I got to have dessert which was some type of nut cake. It was pretty good also. The servers did a limbo show and Adrian grabbed DD 6. She pretended she didn't like it but I know she did. . .
TropicalNight.jpg

Afterwards, the girls went with my parents to their room and X and I went to the show. Tonight was the comedian/ventriloquist Kevin Johnson. His show was funny, I am really enjoying the entertainment we’ve had so far. Kevin had a child volunteer first and spoke for the kid in a funny voice. Next he drew on some kind of board that came to life with a voice. His 3rd part was various puppets. He had an old man puppet that was hilarious. He alluded to the adult show later this week with this puppet and it sounds like a Not-to-miss event. I’ll have to go to that. We didn’t see many kids in the theater tonight, probably because most younger kids wouldn’t be interested. I think dd 6 would have enjoyed the puppets but most of the jokes would have been lost to her.

I ordered the DOD which was Go West. It was a pretty aqua color but was very strong. I had to wait for the ice to melt some before I could drink it all.

Now on to my surprise. I am swearing all these readers to secrecy and I hope there aren’t any of my cruise-mates reading this. I’ve discovered that later on next week, they are definitely having a cruisers’ talent show. I’ve rounded up some of the Dis-kids to perform a humorous dance skit. We’ve gotten permission to have a few practices somewhere on the ship and I think it is going to be really entertaining. I better not tell you what it is, don’t want to spoil the surprise but I am sure people will enjoy it. I’ve been working on the music today and have to fine-tune it some more.

Up next: Day at Sea – cruise casual – Show night in Animator’s Palate – Scott Record, impressionist for our show.

Random thought: I ran into our stateroom host right before I left to go ashore. I stopped and asked him if he needed anything and that I would be happy to pick something up for him in town. He was very grateful and thanked me and said he was going ashore at 1:00 p.m. I was assuming that most of the crew don’t often get to go ashore for necessaries. When we came back tonight, he had a whole bunch of chocolates and extras on our bed. I think he was really glad for the offer I made but I just wanted to help him out. I appreciate the service he has given us so far.

Am I getting back with my ex? Umm, no. . .

Australian Cattle Rancher? He doesn't look like any of them, more like the model for the Marlboro man, hahahahaha, just kidding.

I apologize, I am an idiot. I don't think what I got was a lithogram after all. It's one of those things where you tilt it one way and then another and the picture changes (halogram???). I don't know, sorry didn't mean to mislead everyone.

Ducky Williams is scheduled to appear later on along with Joey Fatone and a cast member talent show and a movie night (maybe Prince Caspian?). And some other people I don't remember.

We haven't gotten anything from Ducky, yet. We did get something that looks like a placemat and has the route for our trip on it. I think last time they did the canal, a gift was given on the day of the crossing so maybe then?

I'm not sure what time we are scheduled to cross but tomorrow there are 3 talks about the canal that I will try to go to and then update you all.

I've found that the acts that do the family show and then the adult show later are even funnier for the adults version. But I hate that they start so late at night, though I understand why (to make sure the late seating is finished in time)

Thanks again for all the comments, I love reading them!

Awesome report! We really wanted that cruise and had the opportunity since we were onboard when reservations opened BUT DD is graduating H.S. in 3 weeks so there was no way!! We made up for by booking the West Coast that leaves on the 15th :cool1:

Thanks for all the details and the food menu's. It's hard for a fellow compulsive planner to do this trip blind!!!:rotfl2:

Jolene:

If you can do two favors, I'll try and do one in return. When you get your navigator's that show what time you'll be hitting each of the locks in the Panama Canal, if you'll post that, along with what time zone you'll be on, I'll capture some screenshots of the Magic as it passes the webcams in the Canal.

Sounds like you're having a good time so far.

Jolene:

If you can do two favors, I'll try and do one in return. When you get your navigator's that show what time you'll be hitting each of the locks in the Panama Canal, if you'll post that, along with what time zone you'll be on, I'll capture some screenshots of the Magic as it passes the webcams in the Canal.

Sounds like you're having a good time so far.

I will save her some typing:

From Deb Wills Blog

Panama Canal Lock Times
On Friday, May 16th, we journey through the Panama Canal.

Follow our journey......

Here is the Panama Canal Port Authority WebCams.
Follow our journey through the Canal.

Approximate Times for May 16th....

Pilot Arrival 5am

Approaching Gatun Lock 6am
Departing Gatun Lock 8am

Approaching Pedro Miguel Lock 1pm
Departing Pedro Miguel Lock 2pm

Approaching Miraflores Lock 2:30pm
Departng Miraflores Lock 4pm

Passing under the Bridge of the Americas 4:30pm

Depart for Acapulco 5pm

Weather prediction: HOT and HUMID.

BTW, love this trip report, keep up the great work and great detail

When you said you had a surprise....I thougt maybe....you were going to tell us about....a romantic kiss after the show. No??:confused3 Oh well, there's still time.:thumbsup2

How much fun! A Dis entry in the talent show! Take lots of pictures for us who can't be there! :)

Great report! We had to cancel this cruise:sick: and I am hanging on every word! Love living it thru you guys!

Ok- I am only on page 2 but congrats on writing one of the funniest things evaaarrr!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I am ROARING!!!! You are hysterical!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:
Hope you are having fun on board- looking foward to more of your trip...
I received this letter in the mail the other day and had to share it with you:

Dear Jolene,

Thank you for your recent interest in traveling with us again on our Cruise Line. Unfortunately, due to incriminating evidence, we are unable to allow you to sail with us ever again. You were caught by our cast members on the January, 2006 cruise with the following issues:

1) Several complaints were lodged that you hid in the lifeboats and proceeded to jump out and scream at passerbys.
2) At 3:08 p.m. that same day, you invited people into your lifeboat if they brought their own pillows.
3) Later that same day, you ran a marathon around each deck of the ship and had people stationed strategically in spots to hand out tiny cups of water.
4) That evening, you tried to return your kids to the gift shop by repeatedly stating “They don’t work the way they are supposed to!”
5) After the formal night dinner, you spotted a couple holding hands and shouted “Red Rover, Red Rover!” and proceeded to run through them.
6) At the photo shop, you brought several roles of blank film to be developed and then proceeded to cry bitterly complaining “They ruined 15 days of sweat and blood to get those pictures!”
7) At Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay, you proceeded to ask every woman there “Are you my mother?”
8) You returned to the gift shop and took a price tag off an item, put it on yourself and told people you were $100.
9) One day, during a brunch session at Palo, you spent time outside using the windows as a mirror and proceeded to pick your nose and adjust your bathing suit.
10) A large group of Dissers complained that you put condoms in their fish extenders with a note saying “I’ll be back later to test these out with you”.
And finally. . .

You introduced yourself to 5 different people and then had their names paged with the instructions that they are late for their intimate rasuel appointment with you at the Spa.

We will not be issuing you a refund for your payment.

Have a Magical Day!

love the report so far

who are some of the cruise staff members on the cruise? If you would be kind to share

Hope you have agreat day through the Panama Canal and the weather is as kind to you today as it was to us 3 years ago. Don't forget lots of sunscreen.
Love reading your reports - thanks brings back great memories.

I will save her some typing:

From Deb Wills Blog

Panama Canal Lock Times
On Friday, May 16th, we journey through the Panama Canal.

Follow our journey......

Here is the Panama Canal Port Authority WebCams.
Follow our journey through the Canal.

Approximate Times for May 16th....

Pilot Arrival 5am

Approaching Gatun Lock 6am
Departing Gatun Lock 8am

Approaching Pedro Miguel Lock 1pm
Departing Pedro Miguel Lock 2pm

Approaching Miraflores Lock 2:30pm
Departng Miraflores Lock 4pm

Passing under the Bridge of the Americas 4:30pm

Depart for Acapulco 5pm

Weather prediction: HOT and HUMID.

BTW, love this trip report, keep up the great work and great detail
Thank you both for the link and details

Have a great time crossing the Canal
wish I was there

I am enjoying your report. I was also fascinated by the deaf interpreters at the performances. I saw them one night at Sessions and told them so. My DD is majoring in Speech Pathology, and said that performing interpreters are everywhere, and where have I been??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter