Traveling by plane with car seats??

CluelessDisFan

DIS Veteran
How do you all do it? Product recommendations would be great! We are traveling with a 15month old and a 3 YO both in convertible car seats. We're flying non stop from Detroit to San Diego. We'll be renting a minivan for the week. The 15month old will be flying on our lap.Will they charge us to check the car seat at the counter, or do just check it at the gate? The 3 old obviously has a seat. Do you take that car seat on the plane, and deal with installation, or check it too? Normally she would fly without the car seat.

Since we've been flying with children we've only went to WDW, and love ME and busing it around "the World". We've never taken a car seat. We've decided to take the trip to Cali now so DS (8) could enjoy Carsland while he's still young enough to appreciate it.

TIA;)

When we flew with 8 mo old DD, we bought her a seat and installed the infant seat on the plane. Personally, I wouldn't fly any other way - it was very nice to have a spot to put her down, and that was only a 2.5 hr flight. If I were flying cross country, I'd absolutely get her a seat and have it on the plane.

We also checked a convertible car seat for my nephew (who was on a different flight) - the car seat we checked was free (did not count towards our baggage allowance on Southwest). I believe all car seats are free to check on all airlines, but double check with yours to make sure.

I would probably gate check the car seat(s) to make sure that they arrive with you in CA (they don't get lost en route).

Gate check the car seat. Make sure it is bagged, tagged with a local phone number and that there will be a loaner "just in case". They usually make sure car seats get there. But you never know:rolleyes:

Last time we traveled with a car seat, I believe it did not count against luggage allowance(this was on Delta). But like PP said I would double check with airline.

I would do it for both car seats.

We recently flew with car seats and we checked them at the counter. They didn't charge us. We put them in sturdy, clear plastic bags and sealed them with heavy tape.

We considered taking the seat on the plan with us for our 3 yo, but opted not to. The 6 yo had a booster and you can't use those on the plane.

We had no issues with checking our seats. If you are concerned, you can get a padded travel bag for the seats.

If the youngest is a lap child, you will only be able to use her seat on the plane if there happens to be an empty seat available or if you are willing to purchase a seat for her. Keep in mind if you gate check, you have to bring the seat through security. That's why we decided to just check them at the counter- we didn't want to hassle with taking the seat through security, through the airport, etc, etc.

If you can get a seat for the 15 month old, I highly recommend it. It is safer and will make your trip much easier. If you have to check seats, gate check them. Airlines are very rough with seats and you're less likely to have your seat damaged that way. Do understand thy gate checking is no guarantee the seat will get there though. I once gate checked a stroller and it wasn't there when we landed. It arrived 24 hours later.

The one issue with a car seat on the plane is kicking the seat in front of them. The seats are so close together that when you add in a car seat it put my 2 year old's feet right on the seat in front of us. While she really didn't kick, every time she moved her feet she pushed on the seat in front of her. We switched over to the CARES Kids Fly Safe harness for our last couple of flights and have been much happier! It keeps dd buckled into her seat so she doesn't really question whether she can get up.

If you do decide to bring the car seat on the plane I would recommend a rolling cart for it...they are so heavy!!!

Gate checking the car seats would require lugging them through the airport and through security. I'd just check them with your luggage. They won't count towards your luggage allowance. We did this many times and never had a problem.

The one issue with a car seat on the plane is kicking the seat in front of them. The seats are so close together that when you add in a car seat it put my 2 year old's feet right on the seat in front of us. While she really didn't kick, every time she moved her feet she pushed on the seat in front of her. We switched over to the CARES Kids Fly Safe harness for our last couple of flights and have been much happier! It keeps dd buckled into her seat so she doesn't really question whether she can get up.

If you do decide to bring the car seat on the plane I would recommend a rolling cart for it...they are so heavy!!!

When DS still used a carseat, we selected our seats so that one of us was in the seat in front of him. That way, if he kicked the seat, he wasn't bothering a stranger.

How do you all do it? Product recommendations would be great! We are traveling with a 15month old and a 3 YO both in convertible car seats. We're flying non stop from Detroit to San Diego. We'll be renting a minivan for the week. The 15month old will be flying on our lap.Will they charge us to check the car seat at the counter, or do just check it at the gate? The 3 old obviously has a seat. Do you take that car seat on the plane, and deal with installation, or check it too? Normally she would fly without the car seat.

Since we've been flying with children we've only went to WDW, and love ME and busing it around "the World". We've never taken a car seat. We've decided to take the trip to Cali now so DS (8) could enjoy Carsland while he's still young enough to appreciate it.

TIA;)

The first time we flew with 2 kids, they were 15 mos and 3 yrs old. We bought them both seats and used their car seats on the flight. If you aren't going to buy a seat for the baby, I would gate check the car seat and I would use the 3 yr old's car seat on the plane.

Thanks! Definitely had the same thought about the seat getting banged up real good if I checked it at the counter. So I think we're going to suck it up, and check it at the gate. Hopefully it makes the trip along with the stroller. I'm interested in the CARES harness thanks for recommendation.

We are flying Jetblue in October and each ticketed person gets their first bag free. Since there are 4 of us and 4 bags is way more than we need for t-shirts & shorts we are going to use 1 bag for 2 booster seats.

Will see how it goes.

Someone up thread mentioned putting them in a sturdy, clear bag. Where do you get these bags? I need to take three convertible seats with me when we fly.

We always counter check our carseats - always get them and in fine condition. We have special bags for them and they have always been free. We even through in a few extra items (diaper, shoes) to help make room in the suitcases.
When our kids were/are too little to sit still and stay buckled we bring the carseat on board. For our kids that was/is from around 18mo to 3yrs. Not hard to install. But DS kicked the seat in front of him non stop last trip. Thankfully it was empty. Next trip we booked the seat in front of him so someone in our family will have to deal with his kicking.

Someone up thread mentioned putting them in a sturdy, clear bag. Where do you get these bags? I need to take three convertible seats with me when we fly.

We found them at the hardware store, look for the heavy contractor clean up bags or the lawn and leaf bags.

That is a long enough flight. Do you know if your 3 year old will sit in an airplane seat that long (comfortably) or will want to cuddle on you?

We flew when DD was just 3 and I was 20 weeks PG (4 hour flight). We took DD's carseat and it was great. Because she was used to it she knew she had to sit in it, strapped in.

When she was 4 we flew to Disney and didn't take her seat (no need - thank you Magical Express!) and she sat on DH or my dad most of the flight (while I had the 9 month old as a lap baby)

For the 2 minutes it takes to install the seat - I wish we had taken the seat. When we head to Disney in the winter DD2 (2.5) will be in her seat - I don't want her on my lap!!

We counter checked our carseat both times we flew. I would try to get a seat for the 15 months old. It's just safer and more comfortable to fly that way. We have a Britax car seat and bought the Britax bag. It was GREAT because it has wheels and can be worn as a backpack.

Remember carseats that are checked can get hairline cracks that you can't see and may not know there is a problem until the seat is in use in an accident. The safest thing is to use the carseats on the plane if you could get a seat for your little one.

As for products, we use a Go Go Babyz travelmate. It is a slight hassle to put on, but it is worth it! If you use it as intended the child can ride in the car seat as a stroller moving through the airport if you'd like. We have also used it to haul 2 car seats. We put one seat on it the normal way and then bungee cord the other one upside down on top of it. It worked very well and made getting through the airport very doable.

Depending on the age of the child and the type of carseat you have, you can install car seats rear facing on the plane. We are extended rear facers in the car too, but you could install rear facing on the plane even if you don't in the car (as long as your child hasn't outgrown their seat rear facing). The kid can see you or siblings easier, things dropped don't get lost on the floor, and they don't kick the seat in front of them.

We've used a CARES harness for five years with DD. in the beginning, flight attendants told us it was a "new thing." Now they are commonplace.

For our first two trips with a car seat, it was just my daughter and I gate checked the seat no charge and she sat in the seat with the lap belt. She was 4.

Later with my son, he was 10 months old. I had a Cosco Scenera seat. I bought him a seat and used it on the plane. I transported it in a car seat bag. I recommend one with wheels unless someone can carry it on their backs. I thought I’d be able to carry it, but couldn’t and ended up dragging it. The bag was of no use after the trip as it had holes in it from being pulled across the floor. The Cosco is a nice travel seat, really light weight and comfortable and easy to install. It is also unfortunately one of several seats that don’t work with the Go Go Kidz travel mate. That’s how I ended up with the bag I had. Well, that and waiting until the last minute to get the bag. Babies R Us were out of the bags with wheels when I went. I should have known better given we were traveling during a holiday.

On another trip my son was 21 months. This time I had a different seat. It goes into a bag that can be carried as a backpack. It is flatter so ds could use the tray table and his feet did not reach the seat in front of him. It is just the 3 of us, so not enough people to put someone in front of him, but it was much heavier than the Cosco. The bag did however fit through the x-ray machine at my home airport whereas the Cosco in the bag did not. It had to be hand searched. That just happened at my home airport though. No issue in Florida.

He’s 3 now and my son is big enough for a CARES Harness. I’m grateful and so is my back. Ds likes it better too. All 3 of us are happier because while car seats have to be at the window, using the CARES harness he could sit between dd and me, which meant I didn’t have to sit in the middle seat and she could have the window seat.

I had always gate checked seats I didn’t use on the plane and there was never a charge, but once I did check ds’ seat at the counter. Southwest took it with the “Fragile items” separate from the bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter