traveling butter

Ricky P

Mouseketeer
Hello,
Has anyone ever put the single serving butters that you get in restaurants
in your check in luggage. How did that work out?

Thanks, Rick

i haven't but would think if you put it in a plastic container or baggie, it should be ok.

Um, you do realize that even in those serving packs butter needs refrigeration...that's not going to happen in a suitcase.

Why in heavens name would anyone want to tote BUTTER in their luggage??:confused3

OP, I just have to ask you "Why"?

It's fine if it melts in the suitcase - helps my socks and undies slide on so much easier!

Why in heavens name would anyone want to tote BUTTER in their luggage??:confused3

OP, I just have to ask you "Why"?

Me too. Why on earth do you need to pack butter?

As for refrigeration, there are a number of items that we routinely refrigerate in this country mainly because the FDA says so (and lawyers probably have something to do with it too). Eggs are another good example. They are not refrigerated in much of the developed world but there are here.

But I've still got to wonder why anyone is packing butter.

I would guess you don't live in the florida heat.

Denise in MI

I live in the Florida heat and my butter isn't in the fridge. (The whole pound is but the stick that's being used is not) Yes, I do know the difference between butter and margerine. ;)

I live in the Florida heat and my butter isn't in the fridge. (The whole pound is but the stick that's being used is not) Yes, I do know the difference between butter and margerine. ;)

I've lived in Florida, New England, and even Canada and have never refrigerated my butter (like the poster above, I keep the pound cold but not the stick we are using). Room temperature is room temperature, right? :confused3

On a separate but related note, if you aren't making pie crust, what are the uses for cold butter?

I've lived in Florida, New England, and even Canada and have never refrigerated my butter (like the poster above, I keep the pound cold but not the stick we are using). Room temperature is room temperature, right? :confused3

On a separate but related note, if you aren't making pie crust, what are the uses for cold butter?

Cold butter can be used to make wonderful tea biscuits/scones. Yum!

Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated, but refrigeration gives it a MUCH longer lifespan. I personally keep my butter in a little crock that holds it upside down with water underneath. It stays perfectly good, and it is easier to spread if it's room temperature.

I only keep one stick out at a time. My other sticks stay in the refrigerator.

And, incidentally, I'm talking about butter. I never buy margarine or vegetable spread.

If I were going to transport individual-use butters, I'd try to get the ones that're in little plastic tubs rather than the ones that're foil-wrapped rectangles. But, honestly, I don't think I'd take them.

Very few restaurants actually give out real butter anymore. 99% of the time it's margarine. Even McD's stopped carrying the whipped butter. Most of those packets are not tightly sealed. Like the McD's butter tubs, the film comes right off once it melts. Although KFC serves it in little packets like the ketchup comes in, that's the only place I know that does that. Again I don't think it's real butter.

I'd be more worried about it melting (not just being soft at room temperature), to me it never tastes the same once it's cooled again. In the belly of the plane, any temperature is possible, and really wouldn't trust it.

You could try like a quart size ziploc inside a gallon ziploc. Freeze the butter in the quart, then fill the gallon with ice around the quart bag. Or fill it with water and freeze it around the quart bag. That might keep the butter at it's best.

Of course anything happens, and there's going to be a great big mess.

Yes but luggage at the airport is not probably not kept at the same temp as your living room. I do also keep butter on the counter, but would never consider leaving it out in the outside heat for a few hours then using.

Denise in MI

I can understand why the OP would want butter or margarine. I'm staying in a Townplace Suites for three weeks. I expected their breakfast to have bread for toast and butter. Not so. I went to the store to buy a loaf of bread, but didn't really want to buy a big container of butter just for me. Sure wish I had some of those singles left over from Cracker Barrel carry out that are hanging out in my refrigerator at home.

Sheila

Actually they've started selling smaller packages of butter at the store, and even smaller squares of cream cheese. It's not the cheapest per oz, but it is there.

I've heard of travel irons, travel alarm clocks, traveling shoes..... but this is the first time I've ever heard of traveling butter!:lmao:

I have never done it but would pack it in a small gladware container so it doesn't get smooshed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter