Traveling as a Solo Female, Help me Calm my Family's Worries

I should add, I agree with what the others have been saying....to ease your families worries, just let them know that disney is surrounded with families and CM and its one of the safest places around. Also let them know you'll check in with them regularly by calling skyping/facetime whatever. Thats pretty much the only thing you can do. :) Good luck!

Great responses here; I totally agree with Disney being one of the safest places for a woman to travel alone.

One thing I would add, regardless of staying onsite or off is to be sure and check the location of your assigned room before settling in. Before I left for my first solo trip, I had read that solo women travelers should be sure that the door to the room is visible from all angles and close to front desk etc. Sure enough, the room I got at POFQ was obscured by a big tree. I called and asked to be reassigned and they were accommodating, giving me a room on the end of the floor, close to the stairs and elevator.

My room assignment at All Star Sports on another solo trip was perfect (got upgraded to a Preferred building) and was close to the pool and food etc.

Hope it all works out!

One thing I would add, regardless of staying onsite or off is to be sure and check the location of your assigned room before settling in. Before I left for my first solo trip, I had read that solo women travelers should be sure that the door to the room is visible from all angles and close to front desk etc. Sure enough, the room I got at POFQ was obscured by a big tree. I called and asked to be reassigned and they were accommodating, giving me a room on the end of the floor, close to the stairs and elevator.

Great suggestion! In my 12+ solo trips, I had 2 rooms I was uncomfortable with and asked to be moved. One of them was after I went to the room and was there about 1/2 hour. This was at POR, and they were so nice about moving me. The second time was at AKL, and I was still at the front desk-just saw my room location on the map. That CM was a little less friendly and understanding (but maybe I was expecting more after my POR experience), but she still moved me.

Great suggestion! In my 12+ solo trips, I had 2 rooms I was uncomfortable with and asked to be moved. One of them was after I went to the room and was there about 1/2 hour. This was at POR, and they were so nice about moving me. The second time was at AKL, and I was still at the front desk-just saw my room location on the map. That CM was a little less friendly and understanding (but maybe I was expecting more after my POR experience), but she still moved me.

Thanks! You sound like a savy solo traveler!

FBI stats show that Disney World is the single safest zip code in the country. If you can't go there solo, then you can't go anywhere.

Hi, I really want to make a trip to Disney World but I would be traveling alone as no one I know would want to go with me. My family is worried because I'm a female and don't want me to go alone because they think something bad will happen as you never know if there are bad people at Disney/Orlando.

What should I say to my family to help calm their fears? Also how may of you solo travelers are girls?

Thank you for the help :D
I'm a married lady who lives in Arizona and I've driven to Oregon and Texas to visit our adult children when my husband could not get off work....I have flown too but many times like to drive so I can bring bigger items to them. I just plan to arrive at hotels in the day time and never leave in the dark. Stay on property. I'm sure going to a place like Disney no one will know you are totally on your own. I believe you will have a wonderful time.

I will echo what PatMae is saying. Staying on-site or in the Disney Springs area gives you a "community" of Disney people and nobody is likely to think that you're solo. It's perfectly normal to see people moving around solo without a second thought. A really cheap/independent/small hotel might invite more scrutiny/risk.

A few things you may want to practice if you find yourself in a questionable spot (really only applies if you're off-site):
  • Be certain to keep your head up and to move with purpose.
  • If you're carrying a large purse, carry the strap across your body, not on one shoulder.
  • If you're carrying a backpack, use both straps, not on one shoulder.
  • Do not nervously adjust your belongings *if* you feel uncomfortable or reach for them. You don't want to give off the impression that you have something worth stealing.
  • Step out of your hotel room with your phone to your ear, or put a headset or bluetooth in ONE ear (not headphones). You don't have to keep this up every moment that you're outside of your room, but it can be a good way to survey what's going on without appearing nervous or vulnerable. You could be "on the phone" with someone waiting for you in the lobby, outside in the parking lot, etc.
  • If someone approaches you and tries to speak to you, purse your lips in a slight frown and shake your head. Take one step to the side and keep moving.
  • You're a single female traveling, you're probably not a doctor or nurse, nobody needs your help. By all means, call 911 if you witness something, but avoid any commotion.
  • Using UBER is an excellent option if you're off property - you can set up a "send status" with it, so that the driver's details and your location/destination/travel time is shared with loved ones before you even get in the car. The drivers are also aware of this function and I've never had ANY reason to feel unsafe. The cars also do not look like taxis, so anyone that would be interested in a single woman would see her getting into a car with someone (get in the front seat, not the back to help with this appearance). This can be cheaper than driving your own car and paying for parking!
Do not take any of these tips as anything but advice - not a warning. Overall it's VERY safe in Orlando around Disney.

I've travelled to a lot of countries solo in Asia, Europe, and South America - WDW was by far the place I felt the safest!!!! There are no worries at all, especially if you're staying on site.

I can't really add anything more than what everyone else has said. I just wanted to chime in as another female solo traveler. I have done it many many times to both Disneyland and WDW, and never felt unsafe. I am very aware of my surroundings, and check in with my family often. They worry, because they're human, but not any more than they do when I go anywhere else. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter