• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travelex Travel Basic

croppincolburn

DIS Veteran
I mostly want coverage if weather delays our flights or if we get sick/hurt. Nothing fancy. We are healthy. Anyone have an opinion about the Travelex basic?

Thanks!

I mostly want coverage if weather delays our flights or if we get sick/hurt. Nothing fancy. We are healthy. Anyone have an opinion about the Travelex basic?

Thanks!
Travelex is a really good company, I've dealt with them a few times, and have had a very good experience. Very helpful services, and prompt payment.

It's good, basic coverage. I'm just going to ask a few questions, because, usually, you can get much better coverage, for not that much more, if you buy the Travelex Travel Select policy.

1) Has it been more than 21 days since you made the first deposit/payment on your trip? If it has, the next question won't matter, because you can only get the pre-existing condition waiver with Travelex if it's been less than 21 days.

2) Does anyone in your family have a medical condition? If anyone being covered has been treated for anything within 60 days prior to the effective date of your insurance, then you can't make a claim for that same condition. If someone has a bad back, got treated a month ago, and then threw their back out a week before the trip, you wouldn't be covered, because the back problem is considered a pre-existing condition. I *ALWAYS* try to buy a policy that has a waiver for this (ie, you can still place a claim for a pre-existing condition.) Travelex Basic has does not have the option of a pre-existing condition waiver. Travelex Select does give you a waiver if you buy within the 21-day period.

3) Are you looking for coverage if something happens to you *on* the trip? If so, Travelex Select is better. Travelex Basic only pays $15,000, Select pays $50,000. Depending on the difference in cost, this might or might not be important. ER's can get expensive. But $15,000 is probably going to cover you. (But, for the policy I'm looking at, the difference is only $5 per person...)

And, of couse, the coverage amounts for trip delay are better for the Select plan.

Other than that, both policies are very similar.

If none of the above is a deal-breaker for you, then I would say go with Travelex Basic. Good company, good, basic coverage. Otherwise, I'd vote for Travelex Select, unless the price difference is big.

Does that help?
Sayhello

I am going with travelex as well. i will go with the select..i know it costs like $50 more or so..the main thing is 1) you get higher coverages 2)lets say you are on the boat and you have a family emergency back home...basic will pay to get you back home and the missed portion of your cruise whereas select will pay for you to get back home and the entire cost of the cruise as well. go with select if you can afford the extra $50 or so.

I was just going to post regarding insurance. I saw this company on insuremytrip.com.
If I just paid for my cruise and it is in April. We have no pre-existing conditions. I just want to cover, illness or death for us or extended family (e.g. in-laws are in their 80's). I do not forsee any other things keeping us from taking the cruise.
What do I look for and how much should I expect to pay for 7 night/family of 5?
Thanks inadvance for everyones help.

I was just going to post regarding insurance. I saw this company on insuremytrip.com.
If I just paid for my cruise and it is in April. We have no pre-existing conditions. I just want to cover, illness or death for us or extended family (e.g. in-laws are in their 80's). I do not forsee any other things keeping us from taking the cruise.
What do I look for and how much should I expect to pay for 7 night/family of 5?
Thanks inadvance for everyones help.
Caribbean, I assume? How much did you pay for the cruise, and how old are the 5 people? This affects the cost of the coverage. Do you want to cover airfare, too? Include that in the cost. Traveling a day before or after? Include that in the length.

Sayhello

These are the kind of advise I was hoping for. Thanks!

Sayhello, No, no, yes!
Based on your answers, then, basically, it comes down to if the price difference is significant or not. If the price difference is small, I'd still go with Select. If it's a big difference, Basic is still good, just not *as* good. But it will cover what you're looking for.

Sayhello

Caribbean, I assume? How much did you pay for the cruise, and how old are the 5 people? This affects the cost of the coverage. Do you want to cover airfare, too? Include that in the cost. Traveling a day before or after? Include that in the length.

Sayhello

We got in on the kids cruise free, we are cruising easter week 7 day Western. Paying about $8,000 (including tax) for 5, no aifare. I saw on DIS information that Disney insurance is about $350 for 5. How is DCL insurance would that suffice?

Like, I mentioned previously, no existing conditions. Just want to cover I illness or death for us and immediate family. No work issues.

I look at a couple policy but it is all greek to me. I am thinking to have my hubby look over it. But a ballpark figure on what to expect would be helpful and type of coverage to look for. We have excellent medical coverage. Would that cover us on the cruise?

Sorry for so many ??? Trying to work it all out.
Thanks again.:confused3

Dcl insurance was significantly more $$ plus didn't cover air if you booked it outside Disney. I bought the travelex select also...

disney to me seems expensive and does not cover as well or as much as private companies, but people go with them since it is "disney". I for one want my air, hotel (before we cruise), etc.. covered and since I booked my air and hotel myself, disney insurance will not cover it. Travelex for the same price as I was offered from disney (about $160 for the 3 of us) will cover all my pre-paid costs of about $5000. I am sure disney doesn't insure the trip themselves either, they probably broker it out to an insurance company as well and just make a commission on it, but I am not certain of that.

I have not bought the insurance as of yet, but I will. We have no pre-existing conditions, so not worried about that. I live in miami, near the port, so we get cruises really cheap. One time a while ago we went on a 3 night bahama cruise for $150pp. I was offered the insurance from carnival for like $50 or so. I declined it. We were on the beach. I went in the ocean, a big wave came and flipped me around under the water. I dislocated my shoulder and spent the entire day in the hospital. Had to pre-pay the hospital too $1000 before they would even look at me. No matter what you do, GET INSURANCE!

We got in on the kids cruise free, we are cruising easter week 7 day Western. Paying about $8,000 (including tax) for 5, no aifare. I saw on DIS information that Disney insurance is about $350 for 5. How is DCL insurance would that suffice?

Like, I mentioned previously, no existing conditions. Just want to cover I illness or death for us and immediate family. No work issues.

I look at a couple policy but it is all greek to me. I am thinking to have my hubby look over it. But a ballpark figure on what to expect would be helpful and type of coverage to look for. We have excellent medical coverage. Would that cover us on the cruise?

Sorry for so many ??? Trying to work it all out.
Thanks again.:confused3
It's still hard to tell, because you didn't give me ages. Prices vary a great deal based on the ages of the people traveling. Assuming you're both 35, and your 3 kids are 10, 7 and 5, you could get the Travelex coverage for $128 for Basic and $188 for Select. Access America Classic is $188. Travel Guard ProtectAssist is $197. It *really* depends on the variables I've listed (length of trip, cost, ages & number of people, destination) plus the coverage you really want. Travelex Basic is a good, BASIC coverage; personally I would go for the extra protection of the Select. Go to insuremytrip.com, select the policies where the prices look good, and hit "Compare" to get a list of the coverages, so you can see what covers the things that are important to you.

Any of those plans are way less than DCL's $350 plan, and probably offer very similar coverage. DCL generally charges for everyone; a lot of the plans on insuremytrip.com don't charge for kids.

Also, notice, the policy cost is total for everyone in your party. The coverage listed is per person (make sure you select "For all travelers" when you get the quote, or it will assume the cost is $8000 per person).

Also, for your own "excellent medical coverage", it really depends on your coverage. A lot of medical insurance doesn't cover you "out of plan" or out of the country. You'd need to contact your medical insurance company and check. If they *do* cover you out of plan or out of the country, you're good for your medical expenses. But it won't cover missed flights, rescheduling flights, loss of days of your vacation, or costs to get you back to the US if something happens to you and you can't take the ship back.

Sayhello

disney to me seems expensive and does not cover as well or as much as private companies, but people go with them since it is "disney". I for one want my air, hotel (before we cruise), etc.. covered and since I booked my air and hotel myself, disney insurance will not cover it. Travelex for the same price as I was offered from disney (about $160 for the 3 of us) will cover all my pre-paid costs of about $5000. I am sure disney doesn't insure the trip themselves either, they probably broker it out to an insurance company as well and just make a commission on it, but I am not certain of that.
I am 99.9% sure Disney does not provide it's own insurance, that the insurance comes from a 3rd party vendor, with a fixed coverage.

Sayhello

It's still hard to tell, because you didn't give me ages. Prices vary a great deal based on the ages of the people traveling. Assuming you're both 35, and your 3 kids are 10, 7 and 5, you could get the Travelex coverage for $128 for Basic and $188 for Select. Access America Classic is $188. Travel Guard ProtectAssist is $197. It *really* depends on the variables I've listed (length of trip, cost, ages & number of people, destination) plus the coverage you really want. Travelex Basic is a good, BASIC coverage; personally I would go for the extra protection of the Select. Go to insuremytrip.com, select the policies where the prices look good, and hit "Compare" to get a list of the coverages, so you can see what covers the things that are important to you.

Any of those plans are way less than DCL's $350 plan, and probably offer very similar coverage. DCL generally charges for everyone; a lot of the plans on insuremytrip.com don't charge for kids.

Also, notice, the policy cost is total for everyone in your party. The coverage listed is per person (make sure you select "For all travelers" when you get the quote, or it will assume the cost is $8000 per person).

Also, for your own "excellent medical coverage", it really depends on your coverage. A lot of medical insurance doesn't cover you "out of plan" or out of the country. You'd need to contact your medical insurance company and check. If they *do* cover you out of plan or out of the country, you're good for your medical expenses. But it won't cover missed flights, rescheduling flights, loss of days of your vacation, or costs to get you back to the US if something happens to you and you can't take the ship back.

Sayhello

It is DH and me, late 40's and 3 DS 15, 12 and 10. I am going to take your advice and check out that plan. I am also going to have my DH check with our health insurance. Thank you so much for all your help with this. I really appreciate it. I now have some directions to go in.:thumbsup2

I'm interested in this because I got travel insurance for the first time for our upcoming Florida vacation, which includes 3-day Wonder for DH, me and DD 10 and DS 10. It was $126 from Access America and I had estimated our trip at $4,000 (I do a lot of Priceline/Hotwire no transer, no cancel stuff). I'm mostly worried about weather delays -- flying from Vermont in February (to Orlando via Detroit!) -- and illness like the flu. Has anyone ever filed a claim with Access America? It would be reassuring to know this is not just money down the drain!

I'm interested in this because I got travel insurance for the first time for our upcoming Florida vacation, which includes 3-day Wonder for DH, me and DD 10 and DS 10. It was $126 from Access America and I had estimated our trip at $4,000 (I do a lot of Priceline/Hotwire no transer, no cancel stuff). I'm mostly worried about weather delays -- flying from Vermont in February (to Orlando via Detroit!) -- and illness like the flu. Has anyone ever filed a claim with Access America? It would be reassuring to know this is not just money down the drain!
Access America is a well-known travel insurance company. A lot of Travel Agencies sell their policies. They are rated an A on insuremytrip.com (Travelex is A+, CSA America is an A). It's an independent rating, not insuremytrip.com's. I haven't used Access America, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if the price was good for what I wanted. I wouldn't worry about it being money down the drain.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter