• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveler's with disABILITIES?

micknpluto

DIS Veteran
I need help with an upcoming trip to WDW with my Grandmother..On our first trip, I made the mistake of not doing my homework, and at the time, I wasnt an official DISer, I didnt know about this lovely website to get the information I needed. We ended up staying off site at a hotel, on the 3rd floor (this wasnt good because my grandmother has a problem walking, and had a wheelchair the whole time). It was hard for her to get up the steps everyday and night. Also, the bathroom wasnt handicap accessable. We did have a great memorable time, but I wanna take my Grandmother back, this time with the knowledge I need to make for a better experience for her. We are thinking about staying at the All Star Movies resort, what are the things I need to ask for? We will be needing 2 rooms (next to each other) to accomodate all of us. (4 adults 1 child)
The room with my Grandmother will need to be accessable for her. Please help, if you have any good hints or tips I would greatly appreciate it. Right now we are booked at the Contemporary, we are planning to change over to AS(getting 2 rooms) to save some money, now that my Mom and Grandmother might be(hopefully) joining us on this vacation.
Thanks,
Chris

DancingMickey.gif
contempresort.gif

November 2001, WDW here we come, Contemporary Resort!

Welcome, glad you found us.
I haven't stayed at AS, but some of our other posters have and hopefully cna help you out.
In some of the hotels, there are 2 levels of accessibility. Click Here. Lisapooh does a good job of explaining the difference in this post. I don't know if AS has all accessible rooms or the different levels of accessibility.
Also, if you ask for 2 rooms next to each other (or adjoining rooms), you will get 2 rooms next to each other, but not connected. What you want to ask for is "connecting" rooms. Those are the ones next to each other with a door in between to go from one to the other.
You might want to call WDW Resort Special Reservations at (407) 939-7807 (voice) or (407) 939-7670 (TTY) for help in making your reservation. They can also arrange shower chairs and things like that.
Good luck and keep asking questions. We've got real helpful posters here who will do their best to answer.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I took 4 elderly and 2 special needs kids about 2 years ago, and we all survived. Let's see... recommendations...

- Rent a wheelchair if you plan to push, or better yet rent an ECV/EMV from one of the companies that does long term rentals. That way you don't have to worry about getting a chair or ECV every day, and you will be able to enjoy whichever resort you stay in. The distances at the resorts can be quite daunting for some people, this helps quite a bit. Here is a link to Walker Mobility which gets fairly good reviews, and I am sure others have other recommendations.

- This suggestion may not work for you, but here goes - don't rent 2 hotel rooms, get a "Home Away From Home" instead. My experience was that the grandparents and great aunt wanted to sit and talk, watch TV, putter around, play cards, read, etc. during times when they had had enough of the parks and activities - which was substantially sooner then me and the kids. Having a comfortable couch and chair made this much nicer for them. Having a comfortable table at which to sit together was also nice. And having a kitchen made our lives much easier when somebody didn't want to go out to eat because they were tired. I'm quite serious - the cost may be a bit more than getting 2 rooms, but it would be worth the upgrade.

- Plan to take cell phones, or rent 2-way radios while you are there. Chances are that your party will have different levels of energy and you will want to split up from time to time. It isn't always easy to find each other at designated times or places, especially if you are in crowds or using WDW Transportation, or somebody gets tired. Being able to stay in touch will make this much easier.

- Read all the wheelchair and handicapped tips on this board... take umbrellas for shade, water sprays if it is hot, get GACs if people are going to need them for medical reasons... and feel free to ask questions.
:)

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

First thing I would do is determine from your grandmother exactly what her needs are. Does she prefer a tub bath and needs a grab bar for stability getting in and out of the tub or does she prefer a shower with a bench that can be put down. Is she mobile enough in a room or does she need to be in a wheelchair the time.
Get a wheelchair or ECV offsite if you need it gettig to and from the parks. It can be a far piece to walk from the buses to the entrance. Also some of the resorts are large and it can be a fairly long distance from your room to the main part of the resort.
I have used Care Medical with good results. Also Randy's Mobility has been used by some.
The 2 levels that some resorts have is level 1 which would have grab rails and if requested a transfer bench and handheld shower or a completely barrier free room.
Also do look into the Home Away from Home acccomodations as Teri suggested.

Pooh Bear

All of the resorts have handicapped accessable rooms. But, from an experience I had, if you were to reserve one, you may want to confirm at check in or before your arrival, that one is actually being held for you.
I work for an agency that serves people with disabilities. A couple of years back, we took 4 of our clients down to WDW, all in wheel chairs, with limited abilities. We specified we needed our rooms to be accessable, and were assure that we would get them. We found though when we got to our rooms, they were not accessable..and by that time, the REAL accessable rooms were taken. We were forced to make do..and were pretty dissappointed.
Otherwise, it was a good trip, though. :eek:

Marie
AOL Instant Messenger:MarieJPap1954

Check your confirmation sheet. It will say what you asked for. I have been told that if you request handicapped, your room request for that is guaranteed. It should list handicapped or wheelchair accesible on your confirmation.P

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Well the plans are just about done! I booked the rooms,one being handicap accessable. 1 king size bed for Mom and Grandmother to share and a shower, no tub, so it will be easier to get in and out. I'll keep you posted! Im sooooo excited and happy I cant wait to show my Grandmother the World again for her 2nd trip! YIPPEE! I know she appreciates my time and patience, I dont mind pushing her around in her wheelchair, and she knows that. I love to see the happiness in her face! From the first time we went, I can remember her exact words, she said.."I've never seen anything like this before in my life"

:)

Thanks again, DISer's! You guys are really helpful!

Chris

DancingMickey.gif

November 2001, WDW here we come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter