• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel with maiden name... HELP!

Guittech

Earning My Ears
Hey Canadian planners, just a quick question today, The wife is in the middle of changing her name on documents, we thought her passport expired next month, but it's not until next year! problem is that she has changed her name on driver's license and credit cards, but not on her passport yet.

So we have her passport with her maiden name, anyone recently travelled in this sort of situation? It would help if we could travel on her old passport, as we could book the trip now.

Any help?

I think if you book her tickets with her maiden name you should be ok because they only look at your passport for travel. My sister was in the same situation when we travelled to Mexico but her tickets were booked in her married name and her passport did not match because it was still in her maiden name. They did eventually let her go but it held us up for a long time. This was a few years back though. Do you have a travel agent you could possibly ask? They may have a better answer for you.

Thanks Tink, We tend to book stuff on our own, she is planning to put a call in to the passport help line tomorrow, but I am sure they will say "get a new passport" whether it's essential or not. since that is the easy answer.

Oh, I book on my own, too. I just thought you could call a TA and ask. I'm sure they'd tell you, with no booking obligations!! :)

You don't need a passport to BOOK travel. Go ahead and book now, then get the new passport while you are waiting to go on your trip...

You don't need a passport to BOOK travel. Go ahead and book now, then get the new passport while you are waiting to go on your trip...
Yes, true. I guess I read it with the understanding that they wouldn't have the new passport in time for their trip. OP if you're simply booking, you'll be fine!!

Need a passport number to book the flight. We would be flying "el cheapo" so any change (Name and/or passport number) would cost a significant amount of money.

Go by whatever the passport says. That's what they're going to check.
Thats the idea, but all her other ID, including driver's license and health info has her maiden name.

Currently we could book with her old passport, we will call a travel agent and/or Passport office to ensure that it won't be an issue, and then book once we can.

I've never needed a passport number to book a flight, just to do online checkin. What airline are you using?

I've never needed a passport number to book a flight, just to do online checkin. What airline are you using?

When you travel internationally, you must provide your passport at check-in at the very latest. You can't get a boarding pass without it. And the name on the ticket and passport must match exactly. When we book an international flight our TA always has our current passport info from the get go. We're flying to New Zealand in Feb, but Air Canada has had our passport info since we booked back in July

OP, your wife should be fine as long as her name is the same on both her ticket and passport. No one is going to ask for other ID while you are flying. If it makes her feel more secure, she could bring along a copy of your marriage certificate.

Yes
When you travel internationally, you must provide your passport at check-in at the very latest. You can't get a boarding pass without it. And the name on the ticket and passport must match exactly. When we book an international flight our TA always has our current passport info from the get go. We're flying to New Zealand in Feb, but Air Canada has had our passport info since we booked back in July

OP, your wife should be fine as long as her name is the same on both her ticket and passport. No one is going to ask for other ID while you are flying. If it makes her feel more secure, she could bring along a copy of your marriage certificate.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. I'd never needed one to book, just at check in.

Any of the online travel sites i've searched want full passenger info before i could book. we've always needed to provide it ahead of time (air Canada mostly)

Weird! I usually fly westjet but I have flown air canada and I've never needed passport info until online check in. That's a pain for sure!

Get a travel agent to book it for you ...they don't require knowing your PP details.

Well, after all is said and done, we have opted out of Orlando. lol

Calling the government office was a bust, they essentially just hung up on me. We called a travel agent who said there shouldn't be a problem, except for booking a car rental as part of a package, as her name is different. So we discussed it, and decided to do a cruise or all inclusive instead. I crunched cruise numbers all day (my preferred trip) But in the end, the weak Canadian dollar just meant it would cost too much. We opted into a Mexican all inclusive. Probably for the best, since Hulk is going to be down at Universal, and I REALLY wanted to ride that one!
:)

Glad it all worked out - but don't you still have the passport issue? The name on the PP and air ticket still have to match.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter