Travel to Toronto

savage1

Pirate Princess
What is the best way to travel to Toronto from the US? I've been told that the best way is to fly to Buffalo, rent a car and drive the rest of the way. I was also told that if I would fly direct, it is a hassle to go through customs and rent a car in Toronto. I am wondering if this is true. I don't really want to spend a whole day getting there (I am from PA - Fly from Harrisburg of Philly most likely).
Any tips???:confused:

The reason for flying into Buffalo is the cost - generally much cheaper to fly domestically than to fly transborder (taxes and fees at Canadian airports - especially in Toronto - are crazy).

No problem with clearing customs in Toronto. I've never rented a car there, but I've never heard of anyone having a major problem doing so.

You'll have to weigh the savings against the increased travel time.

ETA - depending on what you are doing in Toronto, you may want to re-think in the rental car (if you fly into Toronto). Parking at the downtown hotels can be very expensive.

You'll want to make sure that you can indeed rent a car and bring it over the border though. I am not sure how it works bringing a rented vehicle into Canada as a US citizen but I know it's a huge hassle for me as a Canadian citizen to rent a car to take to the States and in many cases, not allowed at all.

That being said it will be much cheaper to fly into Buffalo and we always fly out of Buffalo to go to Disney because of YYZ flight prices. We can fly to Disney for at least half of what it would cost us to fly out of YYZ for. I also prefer clearing customs at the border over the airport because it's easier and quicker for us.

I also see you are in PA. The cheapest and easiest option might even be to just drive. I don't know where in the state you are but it might not be that far. Then you could just look for a hotel with included parking or a small fee. Just be aware when searching for a hotel what they are charging for parking.

Traveling to Toronto for Business - so I don't really care about the cost. I cannot drive that far - I have issues driving for long periods of time and I don't want to put that much mileage on my car. I'd really prefer to just fly direct but maybe my company would rather I not do that?
I really want to choose the easiest route that would take the least time. I know that I can rent a car in Buffalo and drive to Toronto since others have done it already.

It's really not a hassle going through customs or renting a car in Canada. I have done it a number of times. By far, the easiest thing would be to fly to Toronto and rent a car there. If this is a business trip I assume your job is covering your expenses, including parking. Your time is worth more than the added bother of flying to Buffalo and driving.

I live in NJ, and have family in the Toronto area. I flew from Newark to Buffalo once, rather than pay to fly into Toronto. It was definitely a savings, and it was super simple to drive over the border. The car rental company had no problem with my doing it, either.

I live in NJ, and have family in the Toronto area. I flew from Newark to Buffalo once, rather than pay to fly into Toronto. It was definitely a savings, and it was super simple to drive over the border. The car rental company had no problem with my doing it, either.

How long was the drive? What can I expect at customs?

How long was the drive? What can I expect at customs?

Can't quite say to the drive, as I only drove to Burlington, which is outside of Toronto, which was about an hour. It's probably almost two hours into Downtown.

At Customs, you will need your passport, and you will have to explain the purpose of your visit to Canada. There might be a wait at Customs, but as long as you have proper documentation, it should be an easy crossing.

I assumed your question was leisure related. If not and for business I think the easiest route for you is Toronto if your company would approve. It also depends on the time of day for both the border and the drive in Toronto. I would say 2 hours drive time plus border (could sail through, might wait depending on the time of day and day of week).
A direct flight would be quickest and renting a car in Toronto will be like any other place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter