Travel to Bermuda, is a passport necessary?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
My husband and I are going to Bermuda in June. I am getting my passport, but my husband read that you do not really need one as long as you have your birth certificate with the raised seal.
Has anyone gone to Bermuda and just had your birth certificate did you have any problems?

We cruised to Bermuda last summer. DH and I have passports but other family members with us don't, and they were fine with just a birth certificate, and possibly needed a photo ID, not sure. But as of now, you don't need a Passport for Bermuda. Have fun, it's a beautiful island! :)

OOOPS! I just checked a Bermuda website and it says you DO need a passport!! I will post a link to the site here so you can check it out for yourself!! http://www.bermuda-online.org/abcbda3.htm Scroll down the page to where it explains travel documentation.

I was going to say just a birth certificate with a raised seal and a photo id, until I read SeaSprays post. Do you know how recent that info is? My family went about 6 months ago and didnt need passports. I better look into this since we are going in August and I hadnt planned on getting one. :eek:

Wow! I'm going to Bermuda in June too! My husband won a trip through his company.. and they are encouraging a passport. Apparently makes it much easier vs. birth certificates and forms of I.D. Hope you have a wonderful time.... it's our first trip to Bermuda and I hear its beautiful!

I would also suggest ANYONE who is considering leaving the country, anytime in the near future, to get a passport for everyone travelling (including minors). These rules and regulations are changing constantly, many times without much notice (and passports aren't issued quickly).

I have heard that in some cases, if you are going on a cruise to a destination that will include a stop in a country that requires a passport, you will NOT be permitted to board the ship at all...period. Used to be that you would just be denied getting off the ship (at that port), that has changed in some cases. And, I suspect it will continue to. And of course, you can be denied boarding an airplane leaving the US without proper documentation (of the destination country). Better safe than sorry. I would hate to have a ruined vacation over paperwork.

Do you know how recent that info is? My family went about 6 months ago and didnt need passports. I better look into this since we are going in August and I hadnt planned on getting one.
My travel agent friend says that these regulations are changing daily. It is hard for them to keep up. I wouldn't depend on a travel agent to know, you are better off checking out the us govt website for more accurate and up-to-date travel info.

I think I will make my husband get a passport, I would rather be safe than sorry.
Thank you for your help.

Does anyone know if its different for a cruise? According to my cruise line's website we dont need a passport. :confused: It does say its preferred but 1 form of picture id and 1 proof of citizenship(including a raised seal birth certificate) will do. I just hate to go out and get 4 passports if we dont need them. I just looked quickly and it looks like it would cost us $310.00...money Id much rather spend on the trip. :(

i agree with paw. JMHO, but i would never leave the country without a passport. since 9/11 it's even easier going through canada with a passport, in my experience.

Originally posted by CamColt
Does anyone know if its different for a cruise? According to my cruise line's website we dont need a passport. :confused: It does say its preferred but 1 form of picture id and 1 proof of citizenship(including a raised seal birth certificate) will do. I just hate to go out and get 4 passports if we dont need them. I just looked quickly and it looks like it would cost us $310.00...money Id much rather spend on the trip. :(
I wouldn't trust the cruise line's website, since they might not be updated frequently. This might be a new rule, as Bermuda is a British state, they might have done away with the birth certificate/photo id rule. If you notice it does specifically state even those passengers arriving by cruise ship, but does state most visitors arrive by air. I'd call the cruiseline directly and tell them about what you've read and what their take is on it. Personally, I'd spend the money to ensure being to board the ship them being denied due to having improper documentation.

Edited to add: at the bottom of the page Seaspray has linked, it stated that page was last updated on 3/21/04, so this could be a VERY recent change.

Good point Jel0511! It could be very recently.

We did call Norwegian Cruisline(My mother is getting panicky too now) and they said that you dont need the passport. According to the rep I guess there was something they were trying to get passed that would require a passport, but it didnt go through. :confused: Also, I went to bermuda.com and found this...

A. Visitors from the United States
must present any one of the following items of identification (including photo ID)

Please note: Passports are the preferred travel document for entry to Bermuda.

(1) US Passport (if expired, should be of sufficiently recent vintage so that photograph resembles bearer);
(2) Birth certificate with raised seal issued by a competant municipal authority, or certified copy; either one along with photo ID;
(3) US re-entry permit;
(4) US Naturalization Certificate
(5) US Alien Registration Card

Obviously I will check and recheck with the cruiseline as the time gets closer. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter