Travel time on Disney's bus system

familyoffiveAZ

Mouseketeer
According to the travel info section of this site, if I were to take a bus from the Grand Floridian to Downtown Disney, it would take 60 minutes. That seems like it's got to be a mistake -- especially since GF and DTD are only 7 miles apart.

Someone please reassure me that it doesn't take that long. I'd hate to have to rent a car for this trip just to get around within a reasonable time-frame.

No, obviously is doesn't take 60 minutes to get from GF to DTD - ONCE YOU'RE ON THE BUS. They say allow 60 minutes because if you get to the bus stop just as the bus is pulling away, depending on what time of day, you would have at least a 30 minute wait.

I think one of the reasons so many people tend to get down on the Disney transportation is because they expect instantaneous service.

Think of WDW as a small city, the busses are frequent but they may make stops other than where you are heading. You need to plan ahead and not leave GF at 430 for a 5pm PS at DD. I always give myself tons of time on either end. If I end up at my local a little early there's always plenty to see or I can check into the restarant and let them know I'm there if anything is available. :smooth:

I think the Disney transportation system is great. The longest I've ever waited for a bus was 15 minutes and that was because we had just missed the last bus to our destination.

My philosophy is relax, you're on vacation. :p

It shouldn't take 60 minutes, even if you did just miss the bus. A lot of these online transportation guides that you find are either inaccurate, or outdated. I took a look at the one on this site, and it's about 2 years out of date, and not really very accurate on times. A lot of routes it lists don't exist (Boone, Crockett, and DTD bus from TTC)

Downtown Disney buses are dispatched to the resorts approx every 15 minutes from 8:30am-2:00am... There are times when it can feel like it was a longer wait, but usually, it's pretty close to the 15 minute interval.

From the Grand Floridian, it's about a 10-15 minute ride to the Downtown Disney area.

All that being said... If you need to be at a specific area at a specific time (ie: show time, or dinner reservation) make sure to allow time for Murphy's Law! Murphy likes to vacation here, and there's always that chance of that rare freak occurance happening. So, if you need to be at Cirque du Soliel at 5:30... I'd be at the Grand Floridian bus stop at 4:30. Chances are, you'll get to Cirque early, with a bunch of time to walk around and explore... but, hey, it's better to be early, than running late.

Disney transportation runs well. That said, understand the busses run every 15 to 20 mins in general. Ok the bus is late because the driver had a hard time witth securing a wheel chair or scooter. Gets hung up in traffic or is just packed and on hot days we tend to load more slowly. The rule of thumb I have heard and use that works well is, if you are going from point a to point b by Disney bus leave yourself an hour to get there. The bus drivers there for the most part do a great job and sometimes are even told so. LIke on my last trip, I left 40 degree weather for mid 90's weather. A wait of any kind felt like 3 hours. If you walk up to the bus stop and the bus is there or gets there right after you, you have alot of time to look around somewhere. If you get there right after it leaves aand have to wait for the next one. The next one is slightl late and you pack the bus which takes time to load, you will not have much time to look around. Enfoy your trip and have a magical time.

Oh thank you! I know we'll have to wait some to catch a bus; I just didn't want to spend a full hour ON the bus. Thanks again!

not to worry... if you take Tyler's bus... it only takes about 2mins... :jester: :p :bounce: hahaha... just kiddin....

its very rare for the buses to take a long time.... the whole time i was down there (from jan-may for my college program) I would take the resort buses from place to place during the day. They rarely never took that long to come no matter what time of day, what season it was or where I was in the resort. Every once in awhile it would take awhile for the bus to come, but it was very very rare.

Originally posted by jimmybop
not to worry... if you take Tyler's bus... it only takes about 2mins... :jester: :p :bounce: hahaha... just kiddin....

Part of my speil:

"Folks, just so you know, this bus is equipped with a turbo charger... your driver is equipped with a lead foot... and the road is equipped with lots of crazy tourists... so hold on!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter