Travel time from MK to GF

TIGGERLUV

Goofy Tigger
I will be at Magic Kingdom and want to see the 3 PM parade and have a ADR at Grand Floridan at 5:20 PM. How much travel time should I plan for from MK to GF and what is the quickest way to get there?

I'd either take the monorail (you'd have to make an almost complete loop because the resort monorail goes to the Contemporary, TTC, and Poly before getting to the GF) or the boat (goes from MK to GF to Poly). For either option, I would allow about 45 minutes to be safe. It probably won't take that long, but that gives you time in case you just miss the monorail/boat and have to wait for the next one.

It's hard to tell, if you get at the boat dock right before the boat pulls out, it can take 10 min. if you get there right when one has left, you will wait for it to make the rounds to GF and Poly and back, then wait for the people to get off, everyone to get on then leave. The same with the monorail, you could be standing there waiting for one or you could get there right when one arrives. It could take longer at any of the stops for EVC people to get on and off or the darn thing could break down or have to wait for whatever reason. PP is correct, allow at least 45 min.

The resort launch takes 5 minutes from leaving the dock at MK to arriving at the GF dock. There are always two resort launches in service and the time in between boats is about 10 minutes. So, the longest travel time is about 15 minutes. I've timed this many, many times over many trips and it's always roughly the same regardless of time of day. Just add about 5 minutes for the boat to load at MK and another 10 to get to your restaurant once you arrive at GF and you'll be fine.

The absolute worst way to go is the monorail which has stops at CR, TTC, and the Poly before GF. It's very much longer.

You also should factor in time just in case you have to wait for more than one boat. I've had that happen just after the parades or evening shows end, in which case, the wait time can be more than 10 minutes if you have to wait for multiple launches. The worse wait I had was for three boats to come and go and this was heading over to the Poly around 4:00 pm for a 5:00 pm ADR at 'Ohana.

The resort launch takes 5 minutes from leaving the dock at MK to arriving at the GF dock. There are always two resort launches in service and the time in between boats is about 10 minutes. So, the longest travel time is about 15 minutes. I've timed this many, many times over many trips and it's always roughly the same regardless of time of day. Just add about 5 minutes for the boat to load at MK and another 10 to get to your restaurant once you arrive at GF and you'll be fine.

The absolute worst way to go is the monorail which has stops at CR, TTC, and the Poly before GF. It's very much longer.

Agree with this response, except I'd leave a bit more time just in case. Also, the walk time once you get to the GF will vary based on your destination restaurant. Narcoossee's is literally a one minute walk from the boat dock, but the GF Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, Citrico's and V&A are all in the main resort building and it can take 10 minutes or so to walk there from the dock.

The boat is faster if you catch one at the dock, for sure. I do know I have waited longer than 10 minutes for a boat, and if there is a crowd, you may have to wait for another boat depending on where you are in the boarding line. The monorail has more capacity, and you may not have to wait in line as long for it. But you would be making almost a full circuit. Also, it does seem to break down a lot these days.

And to throw one more way to get there out, in case the boats aren't running and the resort monorail is jammed, or visa-versa...
Take the TTS boat, or the express monorail to the TTS, and then take the walk way from the TTS to the Poly, and then the walk way from the Poly to the Wedding Pavilion, and then the walk way from the Wedding Pavilion to the GF. The total walk time is about 15-20 minutes.
It's a shame the Boat maintenance yard was located behind the MK and that necessitated a waterway channel (which has no bridge). If not for that, one would be able to walk from the MK to the GF in five minutes.

I would factor in time to get out of the park, depending where you are located. If you located near the entrance then it shouldn't be a problem. Stationed farther back into the park you may face a problem in the max exits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter