Travel oil diffusers

AndreAggie

DIS Veteran
Anyone had success taking an oil diffuser on a cruise? My husband snores like you wouldn't believe and the rest of us need sleep. We don't have the option to go to a different room. I'm tempted to try essential oils and see if they help with the snoring. If successful, I wonder if we can pack the diffuser and set it up in the stateroom.

Anyone had success taking an oil diffuser on a cruise? My husband snores like you wouldn't believe and the rest of us need sleep. We don't have the option to go to a different room. I'm tempted to try essential oils and see if they help with the snoring. If successful, I wonder if we can pack the diffuser and set it up in the stateroom.
I don't know if that would fall under the "no appliances" prohibition, but I think it might.

Items prohibited on board ship and on Castaway Cay.

• Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
  • Hookah pipes
  • Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, blenders, electric irons, electric blankets, heating pads, bottle sterilizers and warmers
  • Candles and incense

I would strongly recommend your husband look into a sleep study and possible CPAP. It has changed our lives; especially since DH stopped breathing so often during the night he would probably have died without it. And he almost never snores anymore thanks to it.

Not sure about bringing the diffuser, but as an allergic, sensitive person, I BEG of you to not use the oils in a rented room. Think of the next person in your room.

Has your husband tried the Breathe Right strips? My DH sometimes uses those. Mostly, when we are all sharing one space, we're all too tired to be kept awake by his snoring, though.

In any case, do you even know if the essential oils will work? What if they cause him to be further blocked up?

Essential oils can be used directly on the person to get relief from things like snoring. He can put them onto his feet, the big toe is the spot for nasal area relief. The smell will last but a short time and the oils will work on his system for the night. Very safe and worth a try! Breathe by doterra is a good one to try for snoring or any nasal congestion.

Ear plugs only do so much and my son can't really wear them...he's 6. Breathe right strips do nothing. We've had the sleep study/CPAP conversation. Good to know oils can be applied directly. Thanks everyone!

I have taken my small diffuser with me on cruises with another line and there was no problem. Not sure diffusing oils in a room is any worse than colognes, hairsprays, and other toiletries that are used in our lives everyday.
Not sure about bringing the diffuser, but as an allergic, sensitive person, I BEG of you to not use the oils in a rented room. Think of the next person in your room.

We've had the sleep study/CPAP conversation.

Don't just converse about it. He needs to do it. People die from sleep apnea all the time. One famous case is Reggie White, the Green Bay football player who most recognize from his Chunky Soup commercials, who died at 43 years old from apnea complications. I use a CPAP and it literally changed my life. It took me a couple of years after getting it to be consistent in its use, but now that I use it every single night it's made a massive difference in both my and my wife's life.

Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now. :D

That said, Shmoo is right. They may or may not be against the rules.

I have taken my small diffuser with me on cruises with another line and there was no problem. Not sure diffusing oils in a room is any worse than colognes, hairsprays, and other toiletries that are used in our lives everyday.

I think the difference is the diffuser is on all the time and the scent permeates the fabrics (the curtains, etc. that are not changed between guests). The scents from other toiletries is not a permanent presence in the cabin as it moves with you.

That said, those who are sensitive to odors often use fragrance-free products and don't use perfumes and colognes.

If you take a diffuser on board, even if they let it through security, and they determine they have to fumigate the room to get rid of the odor; they can charge you $250 for it.

DH refused to think about the Cpap until his doc suggested the sleep study. He ignored me about it. (I have a lot of knowledge about health but he often won't hear it until someone else says it)

He slept on the couch for 3 years before getting the study done.

His breath-holding would go on so long it would wake me, then the snores would wake me. He was so sensitive to gentle nudges that he thought I was hitting him instead of softly putting my hand on his arm to get him to breathe. (That's actually why he moved to the couch, because he was tired of feeling like he was being hit, and in those years he was so embarrassed about sleeping separately that he wouldn't get a bed and move to the other bedroom)

His sleep study showed that he was waking 100+ times per hour.

Guess how many times that meant I woke up when he was still in the bedroom?

We were both slowly losing our minds from lack of sleep. While he was still in the bed I didn't use earplugs because the snores vibrated the bed and it didn't matter if my ears didn't hear them. I could hear the snoring from the living room and that is when I started wearing earplugs.

The month after he got the cpap he lost 20 lbs (despite having a pituitary tumor that makes weight loss very very hard) because sleeping is so important to weight loss.

I highly recommend that he get the study done.

That said, those who are sensitive to odors often use fragrance-free products and don't use perfumes and colognes.

Yep. And wish others would, too.

I was at my chiro's the other day and was bemoaning the fact that the person on the table before me had apparently drenched their clothing in Tide. Bleah. Do people not know that they are wafting their detergent choice through the world with them?

But I reacted to Charlie's Soap the first month I used it, and there is seriously nothing in it to react to. Sensitive.

And sometimes I feel strong and will put on a touch of perfume. And half the time end up reacting to my own self. Ugh.

The big toe? Really? Is there actual science behind this claim?

Answering your question specifically.

Actual science, no. Actual studies are scarce but there are a few on certain essential oils with proven, though limited applications. Painting broadly, most do little to nothing they say they do, but a few select oils have tremendous benefits (peppermint oil specifically).

The downside is that those which don't have any benefit often delay actual (proven) treatments of real conditions.

For the OP and other posters, I have no knowledge of what you use or use it for and glad you found something that works for the snorer. Often, anecdotal evidence is enough to stay with something that works and it's not anyone's place to judge that.

Essential oils can be used directly on the person to get relief from things like snoring. He can put them onto his feet, the big toe is the spot for nasal area relief. The smell will last but a short time and the oils will work on his system for the night. Very safe and worth a try! Breathe by doterra is a good one to try for snoring or any nasal congestion.
I highly recommend Breathe by Doterra! Also, I use a dab of lavender under my nose (Doc recommended it), it comes in a roll on from Rinse Bath and Body. Purchased it at Epcot.

I highly recommend Breathe by Doterra! Also, I use a dab of lavender under my nose (Doc recommended it), it comes in a roll on from Rinse Bath and Body. Purchased it at Epcot.

Be careful with that Lavendar. In vitro studies have shown it is toxic to human skin cells at remarkably small concentrations https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15144499.

With no oversight of these products by any governing bodies, it is impossible to know what concentration you get from one batch to the next and even a small amount could be fine from one batch and cause severe irritation in the next.

But glad to hear it does something for you and hopefully OP can find a proven solution for "the snorer". Try a phone call or email to DCL, though even a written answer may not be sufficient if it gets taken from your bag once you are already travelling.

Speaking to OP, we have to travel with a pillow that helps my husband. It's an 8" memory foam, it's the only thing that helps him as all hotel pillows are just too wimpy. Also we use a white noise ap on ipad/phone and that has really helped.
Whatever you do, make sure you try it at home first to make sure it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter