• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel insurance

PlutoDisney

Mouseketeer
Just wondering who everyone uses for their travel insurance. I have looked at a few and the prices seem to vary a lot. Any advice would be really helpful :)

I actually just purchased ours today through Travel Insurance Direct. They were one of the cheaper ones I looked at but still had a good level of cover. A colleague of mine recommended them, and I got a little bit of a discount with the code TIDSAVE (yay!).

There are just so many policies out there, and I couldn't believe how much they differ in price for essential the same things - my health insurer wanted to charge almost $800 for the same thing I ended up getting for less than half that. Good luck :)

I'm also using Travel Insurance Direct - good cover, good price (no discount code for me though!).

I have used travel insurance direct for the last few years and have so far claimed three times:scared1: I'm surprised they still take me on!

Once was with the iceland volcano, where I was stranded in Dubai, had absolutely no trouble getting a refund for costs incurred.
2nd my son lost our new waterproof/shockproof/snow proof camera in the snow, again easy claim with money deposited in the bank quickly without question
And lastly I was taken off a flight from Rome to London with an extremely swollen foot, that they thought was a DVT but ended up being compartment syndrome, they were wonderful, immigration took my passport off me at heathrow, I had no luggage as that was still at the airport, I had no ID, no pounds (I was flying from Rome to Sydney so had no British pounds but i did have credit card and debit card, just couldnt get to an atm)all I could do at 4am in the morning was call TID and they arranged a hotel and taxi, the doctor at TID called me twice to check i was ok, they approved for me to fly business class back home so my leg could be elevated etc, they were wonderful, I'm so glad they were at the end of the phone.
We also ski/snowboard OS and they have one of the best covers for skiing as well.
Highly recommended
I know others recommend covermore as well

Just do a search online you can always get a code for $10off or 10% off, usually TIDTHANKS works.

I recommend Ouch through the Qantas (you get FF points)site they guaranteed our hospital bills last year which meant we didn't have to pay anything upfront except the medications they have a great coverage.
This is the problem with comparing insurance companies is unless someone has had a claim you really don't kno what they are like.

Another TID recommendation. They also have a great iPhone app you can put your policy details in and it gives you tips etc on where you're travelling to.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for the advice. TID looked great until I tried to buy it and discovered I need to be a permanent resident of Australia to get it :( Here on a 4 year work visa which doesn't count unfortunately. Back to the drawing board I guess.

If you google travel insurance for non-residents quite a few options come up. STA is one of them and I believe they're pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I was about to suggest Travel Insurance Direct as well, and then I read your comment.

Maybe give them a call to check if there are any other options.

I usually find one I like the sound of and price, take it to the travel agent and get them to price match it using Covermore. I have made a few claims previously; 2 dr visits to the hotel which I paid for but was completely paid back and then a hospital stay last time which they paid the hospital direct. My first trip I bought Covermore using the quote they gave which was a little $$$ but since then I have got it via price matching :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter