Travel Insurance - When to Buy and any Recommendations?

matt1902

is counting the days...
Hi All

My fiance and I (well, wife by then :) ) are off on our first Florida trip together in May 2011.

Anyone have any recommendations on when to purchase travel insurance, what sort of things it is good to include on a policy when it is to Florida (it will just be the two of us), and any recommendations people have for and against particular companies?

Thanks

This year insurance was a big dilemma for me. I have always just gone with the AXA gold policy, but this year it had gone up to £136 per adult :eek: and they were one of those who gave people a hard time with the volcanic ash story. I researched for months on this and finally went with Direct Travel which were half the price for the same cover (I took the Premier Plus which is the most expensive of their three options, but there are 2 cheaper ones). I should add that I have a tendency to over insure so you may find that one of their cheaper ones is more than adequate for your needs. They came out ahead of many rivals in terms of volcanic ash cover and seem to get very good reviews. They responded promptly and personally to all my (many) questions I emailed them before taking the policy. Their call centres are in the UK (big factor in my decision) and they are amongst the recommended insurers on the Moneysaving Expert's site.

Worth a look.

I am assuming that you have no health conditions though - I don't think they have policy extras in place to cover these very well.

ours is included in our house insurance with Direct Line - might be worth looking into that route as well.

Also some banks include it with their current accounts.:thumbsup2

ours is included in our house insurance with Direct Line - might be worth looking into that route as well.

That is a good point. Have a look at your contents insurance policy to see if baggage is covered and any valuables when travelling abroad. You can then look and see if you can skip those clauses on a policy which will cost you much less.

If you have already booked your trip for next year then you really need the Insurance now - or the cancellation cover wont there should you need it in the meantime.

Particularly important if/once you have paid of course.

We have our insurance through Halifax. We pay £12.50 (but really 7.50 as we get £5 cash back) each month - so £90 a year. This covers me, dh, dd and ds for multi trip. Better still we also get breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance , payment protection on large purchases (like you get with credit cards but this is for your debit card) plus loads of other discounts.

For just £7.50 a month it's a bargain and when I was made redundant last month I had piece of mind that I would get my money back if I was unable to get a new job (thankfully I did!)

I generally use the AA for my travel insurance as they provide good cover :thumbsup2 I haven't personally had to claim *touch wood*, however, my parents had to in May this year and well they've used the AA Travel Insurance again since so it can't have been that bad.

I would say this thread over on MSE was a definite eye-opener for me!

I generally use the AA for my travel insurance as they provide good cover :thumbsup2 I haven't personally had to claim *touch wood*, however, my parents had to in May this year and well they've used the AA Travel Insurance again since so it can't have been that bad.

I would say this thread over on MSE was a definite eye-opener for me!

We got stuck out in the US for ten days due to the ash cloud. The first thing I did was call AA Travel Insurance to check our medical cover was extended - it was. The gentleman on the phone also assured me they'd be paying out for my delay. I called again 5 days later and was reassured.

When I got back, I tried to claim, only to be told they had "overturned" the decision to compensate for delays caused by the ash cloud.

The only thing worse than an insurance policy not paying out? An insurance policy assuring you they WILL and then going back on their decision :sad2:

You know I totally forgot about TI!!!!!! My bank account only covers european travel so will need to get some sorted asap.Thanks for posting this thread:thumbsup2

I've used Sainsbury's for the last few years. I got an annual policy for around £60, by far the cheapest, however, this was pre-ash cloud.

I'm going to be switching to a paid for bank account with HSBC at the end of the year which will include my car breakdown and travel insurance (just about makes it worth it)

I find that the best time to get your insurance is at the same time of booking, as then you definitely know if anything goes wrong, your insurance was in place. Of course this point is for my own peace of mind - like when I did our esta's when I booked, even though we weren't going for 4 1/2 months.

I use M&S they have an excellent reputation, (I always worry that if something did go wrong with some of the companies there will be no one at the end of the phone line when you need them :lmao:), and I have a M&S credit card so often get discounts/extra points for booking through them.

I have asthma and once I list it as medical condition premiums usually sky rocket but theres is not too bad!

It seems to be cheaper now to just buy annual insurances rather than a 2 week one even if your only going on one holiday that year :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter