• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel insurance when cruising on DVC points?

fatfish

DIS Veteran
Has anyone gotten travel insurance when cruising on dvc points?

I called Insure My Trip today, and they told me they would not cover the points, only any cash I had paid out. Cruises take a boatload of points. Has anyone gotten coverage for their points as well as all the other costs? Where did you get the travel insurance? Am I just asking the wrong questions?

TIA!

dorothy

We have booked a Disney Cruise with points twice before and got travel insurance for both cruises. I know it was with a certain company that based it on the number of points used. I think the company was Travel Guard. I am sure if you call DVC Memeber Services, they can give you the name and number of the company. I know this company provides trip insurance for all DVC vacations (but we have only gotten travel insurance for our cruises...not our land vacations...) I do also recall that we had to purchase the insurance at least a month or more in advance.

Has anyone gotten travel insurance when cruising on dvc points?

I called Insure My Trip today, and they told me they would not cover the points, only any cash I had paid out. Cruises take a boatload of points. Has anyone gotten coverage for their points as well as all the other costs? Where did you get the travel insurance? Am I just asking the wrong questions?

TIA!

dorothy

You should have received a Travel Guard pamphlet with your booking confirmation letter from DVC Member Services. They will insure cruises on points but only value at $5 per point. I believe you have to purchase prior to the first penalty period which I believe is 75 days prior to departure. Call Member Services for more details or I think they have info on the Member Website too.

The only way you can get coverage for points is with the info you'll get from member services, and then it only covers you at $5 per point. This is another reason to consider renting out your points and using the cash to sail. I didn't buy my DVC membership in order to rent it out, but with the current prices, sailing on points is just not a good value.

has anyone heard of anyone getting an upgrade using their dvc pts?

Do you mean using DVC points to upgrade a cash reservation? No, this is not possible. A reservation has to be all points or all cash per person. You can pay for one person in cash and another person in points but can't combine points and cash for one person.

has anyone heard of anyone getting an upgrade using their dvc pts?

If you mean a pixie dust upgrade, yes...but it was many years ago in my case.

You can also try to purchase an upgrade at the port with cash--after you check in, it doesn't matter how you paid for your cruise.

Do you mean using DVC points to upgrade a cash reservation? No, this is not possible. A reservation has to be all points or all cash per person. You can pay for one person in cash and another person in points but can't combine points and cash for one person.

Not exactly true. You can upgrade with cash at port. We did that this past week. We had paid for 2 adults in all points for a cat. 6 months prior. Then at the port we upgraded to a cat. 3 for $875.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter