• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel insurance - warning for future cruisers

aw, thank you all for your love and support...

As far as insurance goes, please only answer if and when you feel comfortable, or maybe someone else can chime in: as far as the pre-existing condition waiver, I was under the impression, and it was explained to me that it would prohibit the insurance company to dig back x amount of time to look for a reason to deny the claim. How/why does the fit to travel note from a doctor come into play?

I totally agree with what LaneJudy said in her response, but I did want to add that even though dad had pre-existing conditions that played a part in his cruise/fatal illness, the insurance company's main concern -- by asking for this document -- seemed simply to verify that when I bought the insurance policy, dad was "fit to travel." They didn't seem to care if his pre-existing conditions were existing already at that point (which they were). They seemed to mostly care that there was no fraud on our behalf... that it wasn't like I knew dad was severely ill but booked the trip so AIG would have to pay for his medical care, or trip costs. I guess some people who are too sick to travel purchase travel insurance, kind of knowing they won't be able to take the trip... This was my interpretation at least...

of course if we didn't otherwise qualify for the pre-existing condition waiver -- like if we didn't buy our policy within 14 days of initial deposit -- then all pre-existing conditions would not have been covered at all no matter what. but I guess if in sept 2015 (when I bought the policy), if dad was in the hospital for one of his PECs or any other issue for that matter that deemed him not "fit to travel," then the travel insurance could have nullified the policy or the PEC waiver...? Not sure... that was our impression anyway.

of course if we didn't otherwise qualify for the pre-existing condition waiver -- like if we didn't buy our policy within 14 days of initial deposit -- then all pre-existing conditions would not have been covered at all no matter what. but I guess if in sept 2015 (when I bought the policy), if dad was in the hospital for one of his PECs or any other issue for that matter that deemed him not "fit to travel," then the travel insurance could have nullified the policy or the PEC waiver...? Not sure... that was our impression anyway.

I think you've got it right.

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts are with you and your family at this time. At least he got to Alaska. No conciliation I know but something to remember

I found this article very helpful in making travel insurance decision when we took my parents on a DCL cruise last summer. http://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide

We were not accustomed to purchasing travel insurance for pre existing conditions--my Dad's. This helped us decide on CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION because CSA is the most liberal on pre existing and time of purchase. www.csatravelprotection.com has multiple plan types too.

I am so sorry for situation.

I am so sorry for your loss. I think it is wonderful that he got to experience Alaska as he had dreamed with his family. Those are the memories that will carry you through!

Hi all,
I am sad to report we had to use our travel insurance when my dad got sick during our Disney cruise earlier this month. I wanted to share some hard lessons learned during the process with the hope that it will help someone else...

1) PRE-EXISTING CONDITION WAIVER... we followed all the rules to qualify for my parents' pre-existing conditions to be covered (getting the insurance within 14 days of our trip deposit, making sure every person traveling met that criteria and that all non-refundable expenses were accounted for in our coverage tallies - flights, hotels, cruise costs, excursions). As far as I knew, that was all that was required. However, as soon as we reached out to Travel Guard/AIG, they asked for one other thing that was VERY hard to procure 1) away from home and 2) on a weekend and 3) in the middle of a crisis: they wanted written confirmation from my dad's doctor that he was "fit to travel" on the date we bought our travel insurance policy (9 months earlier). Seems like a simple request, but because my dad's doctor of 10+ years is a horrible, horrible person, terrified of putting anything in writing, he shockingly refused to do it! I ended up spending countless hours, calling every Kaiser Permanente phone number I could find, and finally - DAYS LATER - someone in medical records sent the insurance company what they needed to validate the coverage. I strongly urge anyone who is traveling with elderly people -- or where the pre-existing condition coverage matters to you -- to get this note as soon as you buy the policy or at least before you travel.

2) FORMS! As soon as we connected with Travel Guard/AIG, they sent several forms they required we fill out and send back. Again, easy enough to handle something like that when you're home dealing with a crisis, but when your dad and husband are being airlifted from a hospital in Juneau to a hospital in Anchorage and you and the rest of your family are still on the ship, it's excruciating.

3) UNDERSTAND YOUR COVERAGE. Though Travel Guard/AIG will cover trip interruption for my husband and dad's cruise, there are a lot of other expenses that are not covered. My husband stayed with my dad the entire time in Anchorage and his hotel and taxi expenses easily total more than $2k. The only way those kind of expenses are reimbursed is if your coverage includes "trip delay for medical reasons" or supplemental coverage for the companion with an injured party. I can't imagine a scenario where any of us would leave our loved one totally alone during a situation like this, so if you're going to the trouble of getting travel insurance, it's probably worth asking your carrier about this coverage.

Overall, I will say that the reps at Travel Guard/AIG were very fair, compassionate and incredibly responsive during all of our dealings. What was already a tragic situation could have been so much worse had they been as heartless and self-serving as nearly everyone we reached out to at Kaiser Permanente.
We are so sorry to hear about your dad and send our deepest condolences to you and your family. :hug:

I wanted to let you know that your thread was picked to be featured on today's DIS Daily Fix. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share not only this information, but your experience, here with our readers in the hopes that it may help another family. Thank you! :goodvibes

I'm so sorry about your dad.

My mom and dad had to leave a cruise in Belize and fly home because my grandma died. They had trip insurance and were thankful they did because it was an expensive trip home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter