Travel insurance - warning for future cruisers

thinkoflaura

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I am sad to report we had to use our travel insurance when my dad got sick during our Disney cruise earlier this month. I wanted to share some hard lessons learned during the process with the hope that it will help someone else...

1) PRE-EXISTING CONDITION WAIVER... we followed all the rules to qualify for my parents' pre-existing conditions to be covered (getting the insurance within 14 days of our trip deposit, making sure every person traveling met that criteria and that all non-refundable expenses were accounted for in our coverage tallies - flights, hotels, cruise costs, excursions). As far as I knew, that was all that was required. However, as soon as we reached out to Travel Guard/AIG, they asked for one other thing that was VERY hard to procure 1) away from home and 2) on a weekend and 3) in the middle of a crisis: they wanted written confirmation from my dad's doctor that he was "fit to travel" on the date we bought our travel insurance policy (9 months earlier). Seems like a simple request, but because my dad's doctor of 10+ years is a horrible, horrible person, terrified of putting anything in writing, he shockingly refused to do it! I ended up spending countless hours, calling every Kaiser Permanente phone number I could find, and finally - DAYS LATER - someone in medical records sent the insurance company what they needed to validate the coverage. I strongly urge anyone who is traveling with elderly people -- or where the pre-existing condition coverage matters to you -- to get this note as soon as you buy the policy or at least before you travel.

2) FORMS! As soon as we connected with Travel Guard/AIG, they sent several forms they required we fill out and send back. Again, easy enough to handle something like that when you're home dealing with a crisis, but when your dad and husband are being airlifted from a hospital in Juneau to a hospital in Anchorage and you and the rest of your family are still on the ship, it's excruciating.

3) UNDERSTAND YOUR COVERAGE. Though Travel Guard/AIG will cover trip interruption for my husband and dad's cruise, there are a lot of other expenses that are not covered. My husband stayed with my dad the entire time in Anchorage and his hotel and taxi expenses easily total more than $2k. The only way those kind of expenses are reimbursed is if your coverage includes "trip delay for medical reasons" or supplemental coverage for the companion with an injured party. I can't imagine a scenario where any of us would leave our loved one totally alone during a situation like this, so if you're going to the trouble of getting travel insurance, it's probably worth asking your carrier about this coverage.

Overall, I will say that the reps at Travel Guard/AIG were very fair, compassionate and incredibly responsive during all of our dealings. What was already a tragic situation could have been so much worse had they been as heartless and self-serving as nearly everyone we reached out to at Kaiser Permanente.

What a hard time for you! I hope things are now better.

I remember when I was a child our travel insurance told my parents that only one of them could stay with my sister who was ill and the other one had to bring me home as they wouldn't cover the additional expenses of 2 people. They have far too many rules like this that people don't even think about and I am glad you highlighted what this does and doesn't cover so well as I don't think anyone really understands travel insurance policies as they are written and only finds out things like this once it happens.

Thank you for the information which most folks wouldn't think about happening. Most appreciated. I hope your dad is now doing well and on the
road to recovery. Best wishes.

Thank you! When researching for last year's cruise, (and next year's PC that I ended up cancelling), it was a bit overwhelming to narrow down then read the finer points of some policies. Also hard to predict what could occur. But the "fit to travel" letter is such a good recommendation.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us the benefit of your hard earned knowledge. Hopefully your FIL is doing much better today!

Horrible when this ever happens, but even worse on a vacation. I hope he's doing better. At least he was in a U.S. hospital where you know what type of care he's going to get.

Thank you for this post. Hopefully your crisis will help someone else who may unfortunately have to deal with this too.
I'm sorry you went through it though, and hope you Dad is recovering well. :goodvibes

A co-worker reported this morning that a an aquantinance of their family went on a cruise and had to fly back to the US in a helicopter due to a medical condition for a family member.

Apparently no trip insurance, out of pocket cost for the helicopter, $18,000.

Luckily they did have passports.

Trip insurance is too cheap to pass up on, purchase it.

Thank you all for your well wishes. Unfortunately my dad passed away at the hospital in Anchorage. He was given great care there with excellent doctors and nurses in the ICU. And again, Travel Guard/AIG was very supportive every step of the way.

Not wanting to bring anyone down on this board. It's still a little surreal. But I feel like if I knew these things before we traveled, he may have at least been able to be treated closer to home versus Anchorage. But because his Kaiser doctor wouldn't provide the letter Travel Guard/AIG needed in a timely fashion, the docs in Anchorage had do the surgery there, and after that, things got complicated (he was diabetic, had a bad heart, etc). By the time Kaiser stepped up with the info Travel Guard needed, transporting him wasn't an option.

On a positive note, he always dreamed of seeing Alaska and we have some nice photos of him on deck while sailing through Endicott Arm... and with the whole family. If it wasn't for the cruise, we wouldn't have those photos or memories.

Pixie Dust to all...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry this had such a tragic ending! I do love your positive note, pictures sometimes are worth so much more than you could ever realize. I am so glad you have those. Again, my heart breaks for your loss. I am wishing you and your family nothing but the best.

I"m really sorry about your dad.

You might want to consider writing to his doctor and letting him know your feelings (your wonderings) about what his delay might have caused. And write to Kaiser, too. I grew up in CA and we had Kaiser, and I've met ONE person who likes them. One. In 46 years. Doesn't sound like this is a different case, really.

IMO doctors deserve feedback. There was no reason for him to worry about the paperwork.

I"m really sorry about your dad.

You might want to consider writing to his doctor and letting him know your feelings (your wonderings) about what his delay might have caused. And write to Kaiser, too. I grew up in CA and we had Kaiser, and I've met ONE person who likes them. One. In 46 years. Doesn't sound like this is a different case, really.

IMO doctors deserve feedback. There was no reason for him to worry about the paperwork.
Well, here's another. I've been with Kaiser for over 30 years, and I can't say I'm disappointed with them. But I agree, letting both the doctor as well as the Kaiser administration know what happened and it's effects is an excellent idea.

I am so very sorry for your loss, though I am glad you have those precious photos and memories to cherish.

Thinking of you and your family at this hard time.

Oh my gosh. I am so so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you at least have photos and insurance.

As far as insurance goes, please only answer if and when you feel comfortable, or maybe someone else can chime in: as far as the pre-existing condition waiver, I was under the impression, and it was explained to me that it would prohibit the insurance company to dig back x amount of time to look for a reason to deny the claim. How/why does the fit to travel note from a doctor come into play?

OP -- I am so so very sorry! You have a wonderful perspective regarding having made those last memories and photos taken with your father. May that continue to guide you and your family at this difficult time. :hug:

As far as insurance goes, please only answer if and when you feel comfortable, or maybe someone else can chime in: as far as the pre-existing condition waiver, I was under the impression, and it was explained to me that it would prohibit the insurance company to dig back x amount of time to look for a reason to deny the claim. How/why does the fit to travel note from a doctor come into play?

The pre-existing condition waiver typically requires that the traveler be "fit to travel" as of the date the insurance is purchased. Check details with your specific policy. It's to prevent abuse and protect the insurance company. A couple of examples:
  • Extreme example but it shows the situation: grandma is in the hospital on life-support, but you are ever-so-optimistic she'll recover and you'd like to take her on a cruise in 6 months; 2 weeks before the cruise you cancel grandma from the reservation because she is not better and not able to cruise; insurance must now pay-out for something that was unlikely from the beginning.
  • Another example: grandpa had a heart attack 2 years ago but recovered and has been living healthy; he's well enough to cruise with the family reunion that is planned for next year; 2 weeks prior to the cruise he has a massive heart attack and will not be out of the hospital in time to cruise; insurance must pay-out but cannot use his medical history against him because he was well enough to travel when plans were first made.
The PEC waiver prohibits them from looking back earlier than the date you purchase insurance. It does allow them to look at the health and wellness at the time the insurance was purchased. Insurance is all about risk, and someone health enough to travel is a relatively low risk (even with a PEC) but someone who is not healthy enough to travel is a very poor risk. Without a PEC waiver, the insurance would look back x months prior to the date insurance was purchased to determine if the traveler had a prior history. That date of purchase is very important to determining whether something is a PEC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter