Travel insurance - how to figure out cost of the adults fare?

gardengirlco

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to add up all the costs of our trip and figure out what kind of coverage we need and I know in past threads it's been mentioned to quote the cost of the two highest (adult) fares instead of total trip cost when entering amounts upon which to base the insurance coverage. How do I figure out the cost for me and DH. I don't have a breakdown of our fares, just the total fare. TIA for any help!

Bump - anyone have an idea if there's a way to figure it? Should I just call DCL and ask them what the cost is for me and DH?

If you have a TA, I would have him/her quote you. I haven't been on the DCL site for a quote in a while but I think I remember checking a box to have my quote include insurance. There are also third parties that offer Travel Insurance but I felt more comfortable having my TA handle it for me.

I have posted before to base the amount of insurance on the highest per person cost instead of as an average of the total cost. The first 2 people in the cabin pay more than the 3rd and 4th passengers, so that's the cruise amount you should use. To the cruise fare add your airfare and any other prepaid, non-refundable expenses. Then round-up to the next $500 increment.

Example: passengers 1 and 2 pay $1000/pp for the cruise and passengers 3 and 4 pay $500/pp. If airfare is $350/pp - you want a quote based on the $1000/pp cruise cost plus the $350/pp cost of airfare, then round up to the next $500 increment. $1000 + $350 = $1350...round up to $1500/pp in coverage.

If you take the total cost of the cruise ($3000) and add the airfare ($1400) for a total trip cost of $4400 - each person gets $1100 of coverage. That leaves the first two people in the cabin underinsured by $250/pp.

*To figure out how much of the fare is for the adults and how much is for the kids - try booking a cabin for the same cruise on DCL's web site. Price it for just the adults, then add the kids and see what the difference is.

I have posted before to base the amount of insurance on the highest per person cost instead of as an average of the total cost. The first 2 people in the cabin pay more than the 3rd and 4th passengers, so that's the cruise amount you should use. To the cruise fare add your airfare and any other prepaid, non-refundable expenses. Then round-up to the next $500 increment.

Example: passengers 1 and 2 pay $1000/pp for the cruise and passengers 3 and 4 pay $500/pp. If airfare is $350/pp - you want a quote based on the $1000/pp cruise cost plus the $350/pp cost of airfare, then round up to the next $500 increment. $1000 + $350 = $1350...round up to $1500/pp in coverage.

If you take the total cost of the cruise ($3000) and add the airfare ($1400) for a total trip cost of $4400 - each person gets $1100 of coverage. That leaves the first two people in the cabin underinsured by $250/pp.

*To figure out how much of the fare is for the adults and how much is for the kids - try booking a cabin for the same cruise on DCL's web site. Price it for just the adults, then add the kids and see what the difference is.

Thanks for the info on the insurance. I'll give it a shot and add up my figures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter