Travel documents for Resident Aliens

TammyAlphabet

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Life Member - "excl
My husband is a resident Alien and has been a "green" card toting pseudo citizen for 15 years. He is an Iranian citizen and his passport is expired. I want him to either get his citizenship or get his passport renewed so we can go on a cruise. Will he also need to get visas for each of the ports of call? How can I find out?

I called DCL and they did not know and to tell the truth, they were not very helpful. You would think they would know this stuff!

Any advice is helpful. Thanks! Tammy

DH is a citizen of Italy, although he's been here since he was 4. His passport was set to expire next year, so knowing how quickly(ha!) the Italian consulate moves over here, I had it renewed. It didn't take to long to get it back, about 6 weeks, but the filling out the forms and all the requirements took way longer. Seems they always needed just one more paper, signature, etc every time I went down there.

Do you have an Iranian consulate in your area? Try googling if you don't know. That would be where you'd need to start

Is his green card up to date also? Because of various changes, some green cards don't ever expire (law as of now) and some like my MIL's had an expiration date on them. I believe the new expiring cards were issued after 1988 or 1989. You'll see the expire date on the card. If you don't see one, then he has an old one and will be ok. The reason I bring this up, is that they'll want a current green card before the issue the passport renewal

As for the visas for each port, I also tried to find the answer out to that one. From what I could figure, DH didn't need one. But I would check each port of calls main gov't website, and also check with the consulate. Never did get a knowledgable answer out of anyone at the Italian consulate. Maybe you'll have better luck.

There is no Iranian consulate in the U.S. since the days of Jimmy Carter. That is another problem. To renew the passport, it has to be sent to the Swiss consulate to the "Special Interests Section". I am not sure of the process, but my husband had to drive to DC to get it done last time, but it was a rush job, so that may have been why.

As for the green card, he just renewed it last year, so that is good to go. I guess I will try to find the governmental sites for the ports of call. That is a good idea!

I found a website for the "Special Interests section" for Iranian citizens. It was mostly in Farsi (the national language of Iran). I guess my husband will have to do the legwork if he wants to renew his passport.

That is a whole other thread!! :rotfl:

Hello everyone!

I'm reading the passport to DW I got for my upcoming cruise and this is what it saids:

NON-US CITIZENS:

Lawful Permanet Residents must provide one of the following:

:paw: Unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) (also known as a "Green Card" or "Alien Registration Card")

:paw: Expired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) and Form I-797 extemding the validity of the card

:paw: Temporary Residence Stamp (ADIT stamp) in unexpired Passport or on valid I-94 card or Temporary I-551 Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)

:paw: Unexpired Refuge Travel Document (Form I-571)

If your husband has any of this he doesn't need a passport at all to travel. All he needes is his Resident Alien Card. :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

This are required by the Immigrations Department not by DCL to allow you re-entry into the US from international waters. :grouphug:

TammyAlphabet said:
I found a website for the "Special Interests section" for Iranian citizens. It was mostly in Farsi (the national language of Iran). I guess my husband will have to do the legwork if he wants to renew his passport.

That is a whole other thread!! :rotfl:

:rotfl2: I know exactly what you mean!! I'm Polish, only know a smattering of Italian-enough to know when the in-laws are talking about me!- so trying to deal with the consulate was quite a job. Got fed up, finally brought MIL down there with me.

I wish he'd get around to getting his citizen papers. Probably have to do that for him. Geez!!

I am pretty sure that you need your passport AND one of the documents mentionned above.

stampurheartout said:
Hello everyone!

I'm reading the passport to DW I got for my upcoming cruise and this is what it saids:

NON-US CITIZENS:

Lawful Permanet Residents must provide one of the following:

:paw: Unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) (also known as a "Green Card" or "Alien Registration Card")

:paw: Expired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) and Form I-797 extemding the validity of the card

:paw: Temporary Residence Stamp (ADIT stamp) in unexpired Passport or on valid I-94 card or Temporary I-551 Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)

:paw: Unexpired Refuge Travel Document (Form I-571)

If your husband has any of this he doesn't need a passport at all to travel. All he needes is his Resident Alien Card. :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

This are required by the Immigrations Department not by DCL to allow you re-entry into the US from international waters. :grouphug:

He may not need a passport to get back INTO THE US, but the green card alone is not necessarily enough to get you INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY. In some cases, depending on the country, he may need his passport from his country of citizenship, and/or a visa or traveling papers. What the other country requires may vary depending on what country he is originally from, so it can get a bit confusing.

I don't know how this translates to cruising and getting off at different ports, but your husband needs to find out what the destination country requires from a citizen of his country who also holds a US green card. Contact the consulate of the destination country just to be sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter