• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Days

hellosunshinee

Earning My Ears
I was wondering what you typically do on your travel days. We are arriving on Aug 26 (a Wednesday) at about 11:45 am. What park would you suggest going into, if any? A lot of people told me to spend that day resting but its only a two hour flight, and we would like to explore! Are the lines at this hour going to be awful? Should we get fastpasses? What do you usually do on your travel days? We depart from Orlando at 6:30 on Sept. 1, and I'd definitely like to take advantage of that last day and do something in the morning!

I am much like you and would like to hit a park especially when you are arriving that early. Our flights always bring us there in the afternoon/evening so we didnt really get out to a park till the next day. I am not an expert on parks and crowds but I think for myself I would go to a park you like the most that way you can have that extra half day for that park plus the day already planned. We loved Animal Kingdom so I am sure we would go to that one, but everyone is different.

I would suggest Epcot for your arrival day.
Specifically, World Showcase. You can explore, wander, watch some great entertainment around the lagoon, have dinner in one of the countries and finally, watch Illuminations.
Have fun! :)

I've heard that Animal Kingdom is busy early in the day and then settles down around lunch or shortly thereafter. With that in mind, I think I'd do Animal Kingdom if I only had a 1/2 day. I read somewhere that you could do all of AK in 6 hours.

I am much like you and would like to hit a park especially when you are arriving that early. Our flights always bring us there in the afternoon/evening so we didnt really get out to a park till the next day. I am not an expert on parks and crowds but I think for myself I would go to a park you like the most that way you can have that extra half day for that park plus the day already planned. We loved Animal Kingdom so I am sure we would go to that one, but everyone is different.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. I am not sure what my favorite park is since I haven't been to WDW since I was five, but I am thinking MK since it has the most to do? That way we can split things up into two days. We were going to spend two full days at MK anyway, do you think it would benefit to use this short day for a park with less to do? Or should we count this as one of the two MK days? :confused:

I would suggest Epcot for your arrival day.
Specifically, World Showcase. You can explore, wander, watch some great entertainment around the lagoon, have dinner in one of the countries and finally, watch Illuminations.
Have fun! :)

I like this idea a lot! Do you think the crowds will be too much of a problem because of Illuminations? Should we plan to spend another full day at Epcot after this?

I like this idea a lot! Do you think the crowds will be too much of a problem because of Illuminations? Should we plan to spend another full day at Epcot after this?

Illuminations is always popular and is definitely a must-see.
There are lots of great places to see the show, all around the World Showcase Lagoon.

I like to watch from the Rose & Crown, the only lagoon-side restaurant that you can reserve a table at. Reservations are hard to get for late dinner, but you can try!

Yes, I think you will need a second day at Epcot. It's very easy to spend 2 whole days there. The second day, you must arrive early, so you can get FP's for Soarin'.

my whole family loves Epcot, including the kids. When we get to Orlando mid-day we always go wander around Epcot. You might not get in Soarin' or on Test Track, but there is so much to do and see in World showcase. Get a schedule and watch the entertainment. ADRs for dinner might be difficult to come by, due to free dining, so you might want to book something now.

In our opinion, AK is much, much better early in the morning, before it gets so hot.

The day we arrivew, we always go to MK...are vacation does not begin until my son sees the castle and walks around Fastanyland and ride the train. Our last day depends what time our flight and which resort we are in...if we have an afternoon flight we stay around the resort and enjoy our morning.

I can't tell if your flight arrives at 11:45 or if that's when you plan to be at a park? Remember to add on travel time, etc. especially if you are taking ME and will have to go to your resort first, then to a park, you will lose a couple hours there. Sometimes on our arrival day we have done a character dinner not in a park. We just did Cinderella's at 1900 Park Fare and it was awesome, we have been there 3 or 4 times and the food was the best it has ever been. Or Chef Mickey's. Then we might ride the monorail or go to Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk to walk around. I personally don't like getting to a park later in the day if it is a busy time and fastpasses for the attractions I want to see there may be gone. I am not sure how busy it is during your week though.

We are not huge DHS fans, but we do like Fantasmic. We are getting into Orlando at about 10:15 in the morning, planning a late lunch at 50's prime time, maybe get a ride or two in and then watch Fantasmic. We have another 1/2 day planned at DHS as well.

As for our departure day, we don't leave until about 6:40, so that gives us until about 3:00 in the afternoon to do some park stuff. We have decided to leave it open and just see what we feel like at the end of our trip. We will almost certainly do a park that day, just not sure which one we will feel like we need to get a little more of before we leave.

We usually go to Epcot on our arrival day. Last trip we entered the park around 5pm, watched some live entertainment (japanese drummers), my DD did the pick a pearl in Japan and we ate dinner in Japan then watched illuminations. We did not feel rushed or crowded, we felt relaxed and like we had done the whole experience at the Japanese pavillion, it was fun.

One year we went in to MK because it was the only night for Spectro on our trip. We ate before going in and did a few of the lesser rides then watched Spectro. We didn't try to ride the mountains.

During a one week trip we typically do one morning rope drop at Epcot staying through about 2pm then we do a bunch of evenings where we eat in a different country and watch different live shows (Beatles band, Off Kilter, Mo'roccin...) The last three trips we have stayed at Epcot resorts and had hoppers so that works for us.

We always hit Epcot.... it helps that we always stay at the YC or BC so it's just a short walk away.... :)

This year, our trip is only 5 nights/6 days, so I'm making sure we get our time and money's worth :rotfl: We arrive @ MCO around 9:15am.... so we'll be @ our hotel around 11 at the latest... we'll hit Epcot for a couple of hours and then go back to the hotel to freshen up when our room's ready. We have an ADR for Chef Mickey's @ 5:30 for my DD's bday (arriving ON her bday... it's a surprise! Shhhh!!!) and then we'll have to go get a glimpse of the castle and see if we can get a ride in on BTMRR before going back to swim for a bit before our first full day :)

I was wondering what you typically do on your travel days. We are arriving on Aug 26 (a Wednesday) at about 11:45 am. What park would you suggest going into, if any? A lot of people told me to spend that day resting but its only a two hour flight, and we would like to explore! Are the lines at this hour going to be awful? Should we get fastpasses? What do you usually do on your travel days? We depart from Orlando at 6:30 on Sept. 1, and I'd definitely like to take advantage of that last day and do something in the morning!

RESTING ???? :confused3

We definately don't go to WDW to rest!! Our flight arrives at MCO at 9:25 am and we will be in Epcot by 1:00 PM for lunch and we won't head back to the room until 8:00 PM at the earliest. We'll be up at the EMH at MK the next day too! ;)

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. I am not sure what my favorite park is since I haven't been to WDW since I was five, but I am thinking MK since it has the most to do? That way we can split things up into two days. We were going to spend two full days at MK anyway, do you think it would benefit to use this short day for a park with less to do? Or should we count this as one of the two MK days? :confused:

I wouldn't count it as one of your days you couldnt probably spend the two days at MK also depending on your kids ages... I would look at doing another park for that extra half a day. As it is posted here I think epcot would be a good choice and sitting down for a dinner in a favorite country sounds ideal!!

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's responses!! I think we've decided to spend time at Epcot on our arrival day. Thanks again!

RESTING ???? :confused3

We definately don't go to WDW to rest!! Our flight arrives at MCO at 9:25 am and we will be in Epcot by 1:00 PM for lunch and we won't head back to the room until 8:00 PM at the earliest. We'll be up at the EMH at MK the next day too! ;)

Man I am tired just listening to you. DH would never put up with that -- rule is at least half of the days of the trip have to have naps in them! Of course we go for long trips -- 10 or 14 days ... this time its 15 days. If we were doing a 5 day shot, I could convince him to go commando.

Our plan is to arrive, go to the GF cafe for lunch, back to the hotel, short nap/rest, and then dinner at Jiko! Last year we did lunch at PT 50's did a couple of rides at DHS and then nap and dinner. But this year, we are tight on park ticket days - so I decided no park on arrival!

I use to think that I had to get to Orlando the first thing in the morning. Catch Magical Express, head over to Pop and most likely I have to wait on my room. I stay for two weeks. I now arrive around at MCO around noon, get to Pop around 1:30, get checked in, relax...then head out to 1900 Park Faire for a nice dinner. I also now stay an extra day at the end of my trip and fly home early in the morning.

We always hit a park on arrival day.... we just can't wait ANOTHER day!

This year, we will drive all day on the 15th (August), sleep over in Jacksonville, and arrive at WDW before noon on the 16th. We plan to check in, unpack if our room is ready.... then head to Epcot! We have dinner ADR's at Teppan Edo! We plan to hang around the WS (maybe do a KP mission or two!) for a little while, then head back to the resort for a swim and/or drink!

In October, when I go with my sister (we are flying down early on the 20th)... we are going to check in, then head to the MK until they kick us out for MNSSHP... then we are off to the GF to have dinner at 1900 Park Fare!!

I believe in jumping RIGHT into the fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter