• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

travel cheque's

Mickey_UK

Mouseketeer
Having gone to a number of travel agents to-day to get my dollars a couple of them said the travel cheque is being fazed out because some states in the U.S. are not giving change any more.....so if your bill comes to $45 and you give them a $50 cheque they will not give you any cash back as change
I can not believe this but the fact 2 travel agents said it makes me wonder.They did say it was states where less tourist go so no worries about Florida but has anyone else got any info.
:rotfl:

Well, while I am aware that this is the case in "non tourist" destinations, Florida is not one of them. I have used TCs only. I take them in 50s ad 100s, keep a few with me and put the rest in my safe. I go shopping at the Premium Mall and otherwise stay in WDW. Last year I wanted cash for something and used a $100 TC to buy something for a few dollars just to get the change. No problems. :goodvibes I will be taking them again this year, although I did get a FairFX card - not because I didn't want to use TCs but the rate is really good so I thought I would give it a go. If I had to choose only one means of taking my currency, it would be TCs. It really depends where you want to go. As I said, we stay in Disney so no probs there.

Oh, I meant to say, many hotels will cash them at the front desk. Just check with your hotel whether this is an option as I am sure there are some which wont take them.

i always used travellers cheques but last year september, fewer stores/ resturants were taking them, so next visit it seems like cash or credit card.
I liked tcs but looks like they are being fazed out even in Orlando / Florida

Gosh you guys are worrying me now - have booked all my money, including a big chunk as TCs for our holiday in October!!

There wasn't any problem when we went last October though - I used TCs on-site and off-site and wasn't refused anywhere, so I hope its the same this year!

Gosh you guys are worrying me now - have booked all my money, including a big chunk as TCs for our holiday in October!!

There wasn't any problem when we went last October though - I used TCs on-site and off-site and wasn't refused anywhere, so I hope its the same this year!

I am not worried. I am also taking most of mine in TCs as usual. I know for sure that Disney accept them with no problem and are happy to cash them/give change. In the very unlikely event of one being refused I do take credit cards anyway. Just don't want to use them. Don't let a thread give you nightmares! :goodvibes

P.S. I wish I was referred to as a Yummy Mummy ....... :laughing:

You will befine with your travellers cheques. If you start encountering any problems start using them in the parks and pocket the change for other places. I used to always use one first thing in the morning for a stroller rental and then keep the change for other things.

I have heard of this periodically over the years but have never had any trouble. Places I have heard recently not taking them are Golden Corral and Walmart.

I wouldn't hesitate to take them.

We took some T/C over Christmas ~ I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket so I use T/C for some of my table service meals at WDW which then gives me plenty of change for tipping, paying for small items etc and use a fee-free credit card for everything else. I can remember Walmart stopped taking them a few years ago but we only use them at Disney.

Saw quite a few Americans using them at our hotel reception so think they're not as unpopular as we are led to believe.

As I said in my original post I don't think there is a problem in Florida. We were there in November last year and were fine. We are going to Alabama,Tennesse,South Caroliner and Georgia in May and am now thinking of getting a travel card instead of travellers cheques

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter