• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Budget Advice

Sonny76

Earning My Ears
We were at Disney World last year and are coming back. I found the best rates on Expedia again but purchased my passes directly from the Disney site this year. Last year the hotel sent us all the way to the park for our tickets, riding the tram, standing in line, and being told, "No, you get them at the hotel" because they are part of the Expedia pkg. Walked to the parking lot because it was so early and nobody was leaving-drive 15 miles back to the hotel and they were under the counter the whole time. This year-having them sent directly to us first. Got a 3 Star Hotel, car, airfare for two adults for $900. (Read review sites before selecting a hotel) You can save money by stopping at Walmart and the grocery store. Had no fridge but two sinks so filled one with ice and drinks. Found a Bonanza all you can eat breakfast buffet for about $3.00. It was wonderful. We filled up for breakfast, left for an early dinner. Walmart also had a whole Disney section. We bought the little water fans for $3.00 there last year. T-shirts were very nice, good quality and very very reasonable. It leaves you with extra money to work on your pin collection etc. at the parks! Can't wait to get there again!!!!

Hi Sonny76 and welcome to the DISboards!

Looks like you're well on your way to a nice budget trip. Your suggestions make a lot of sense. I would add that soma passes are less expensive thru reputable online ticket brokers, AAA or in your local Disney Store than they are at the Disney website.

Also, instead of tying up your sinks with ice and sodas, consider buying a styrofaom cooler while you're at Wal-Mart. They aren't that expensive, work better than the sink for keeping things cold and can be left behind.

Keep reading this board and you're bound to find a lot of ways to save $$$. And don't forget to post any more ideas that you have!

Thanks for the ideas. I especially liked the cooler idea and had never thought of that one. A cheap, disposable cooler is an ideal way to keep sodas and even a couple of sandwiches cool if your room does not have a fridge. I see alot of people who stay right on the property but the cost was terrible. I just could not see paying all that money for a room you are hardly in. Last year we were only in it to sleep basically because we were running constantly. (Take good, broke in walking shoes) I think this year we will take time out for a good nap in the afternoon and return later so we are not so tired. Just remember that if you use Expedia, for example, and buy your tickets through them-they are under the hotel desk in an envelope. Do not let some young desk clerk tell you they are at the park. Disney has nothing to do with the tickets you buy from a travel site. The first day was our worse and I will never forget it-having to drive all the way back to the hotel that morning prepared for an argument by the time we got there but the tickets were there after all. Watch those all you can eat signs-most are wonderful, cheap, and offer a great selection. I spent $100 at the tourist shops on I Drive only to find the same stuff at Walmart in their Disney section. Anyone else have ideas, please post more! The ideas I have read are super!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter