Travel bag for stroller

Jenna319

DIS Veteran
I plan to gatecheck our stroller and wondering, do I need to buy a travel bag for the stroller?? I've seen them at Babies R Us for $20, and although a minimal expense, is it needed? First time traveling with a baby! (Our daughter will be 1)

I never have. You just get a tag at the gate counter and leave it right before you get one the plane, just make sure you fold it!

I have gate checked my stroller so many times. No need. One time I had to check it with my bags --- and that made me nervous... but still, no problems.

We bought the JL Childress Gate Check Bag from Amazon for our umbrella stroller, but we didn't use a bag for a full size stroller on planes.

We have only brought our stroller once. It got destroyed by the airlines, so now we rent a stroller! I would either wear you baby in the airport or bring a cheap umbrella and still rent a nice one.

I would buy the bag. Plus never know if it will be raining, snowing, etc. We got ours for $5.00 at Once upon a Child. First stroller to Disney had a broken wheel on the trip back home no bag. Now I wrap the wheels in bubble wrap and check the stroller with luggage to MCO Airport. 4 years ago we watched them unload strollers a JFK. Scary how they are thrown on the ground. We witnessed one wheel snap off as a stroller hit the ground and had more strollers thrown on top.

I like the bag because you can shove other stuff in there with it & like a pp said, if the weather is inclement.

I like the bag because you can shove other stuff in there with it & like a pp said, if the weather is inclement.

Yep! I use the JL Childress gatecheck bag from Amazon too. It's red. And, when we first went to Disney I shoved a pack of extra diapers in that sucker! Not to mention I can actually fit my Joovy Kooper and an umbrella stroller together in one gate check bag. But, the airline is extremely rough with strollers. They literally toss them down the ramps :worried:

I also would support just buying the bag. We've done this on every trip and it has been nice to place extra items in (ie blankets, rain covers, etc) for the stroller and also keeping the stroller clean.

If you care about your stroller and don't want to chance either renting strollers down there or needed to buy a new one, I wouldn't get just a cheap $20 bag but a nice substantial stroller bag like the JL Childress on or you can even get them with wheels to just roll the bag to the gate check area. My $300 stroller was utterly destroyed on the first airplane trip we took. We had a delay each way and each leg of the trip it was destroyed worse and worse, I couldn't believe it. The airline tried to reimburse me for all the damage done in the form of a free ticket, but after the horrible customer service, damage to the stroller, a stewardess actually stole my daughters toys from her stroller (another stewardess caught her) I never wanted to fly Delta again and my strollers are always in a bag now. I usually go through one bag every two trips as the rips and tears it sustains make it unusable, however I'd rather a $30 bag take the beating and not my $300-400 stroller!

If I actually CHECK my stroller at the desk (not at the gate) is it still free? I assume I cant then stick extra stuff in the bag - or wouldn't they charge me as an extra piece of luggage?

If I actually CHECK my stroller at the desk (not at the gate) is it still free? I assume I cant then stick extra stuff in the bag - or wouldn't they charge me as an extra piece of luggage?

Yes, it's still free, stroller & carseat. I check my carseat at the counter the bag is always loaded with diapers, etc & they don't care as long as there IS a stroller or carseat in the bag. Just be mindful that MCO is very large so if flying there, you may want to keep the stroller or bring a carrier.

Good to know. Kids are 5 and 7 so the should be fine at the airport - just want it for the parks. Need to bring a couple boosters too - maybe those will fit in the bag as well

Yeah, my first trip flying with my DS, he was only 3 months and we were headed to Grandma's house for the week. I had so much stuff in with his car seat...even his bathtub!! lol Needless to say it's a great option to have.

Buy the bag. Even if you don't put other things in it, it keeps the stroller from getting dirty. Our umbrella stroller bag has several black streaks on it from who knows what under the plane, but the stroller still looks good.

We bought the bag southwest sells and love it. It got some minor rips/scuffs but whatever my stroller and car seat survived undamaged. We let someone borrow the bag and it still looks like it will be perfect for our upcoming trip.

Depending on the size of your stroller, you could toss it in a duffel bag/hockey bag, if you had one, rather than buying something new. Or you could use a few heavy duty contractor bags just to keep it clean. I actually have a red gate check bag I bought at a salvage store, but we haven't flown with our stroller to use it yet. I would definitely want to cover it to at least keep the stroller clean and to keep the wheels/accessories with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter