Travel Alert for Viva Italia

DisFan09

Earning My Ears
For those of you going on Viva Italia in a few weeks, please be aware that Roma Pride 2009 will be taking place from June 12-14 in Rome.

It looks like the actual Gay Pride Parade will occur on Saturday June 13th somewhere in Rome, but there are events on the other days too.

http://romapride.it/13_giugno/index...ecal&view=simplecal&catid=1&Itemid=41&lang=en

So, as if Rome won't be crowded enough already, get ready for some REALLY big crowds of gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender people too! :eek:

But, when in Rome....

We caught the parade in 2007 before the start of our very first ABD trip (we were there a day early to get over jet lag etc). Very interesting parade--some streets were closed, but we didn't have any trouble walking around. Actually, we didn't know about it until it was underway and we stopped to watch for a short while and enjoyed the festival atmosphere--and found this also to be a good time to see some of the local sites while the crowds were watching the parade.

I don't see how this is a travel alert? The title made me think something happened. If you consider that a travel alert you better never come to NYC between May and December there is a parade or festival, sometimes multiple every weekend.

I don't see how this is a travel alert? The title made me think something happened. If you consider that a travel alert you better never come to NYC between May and December there is a parade or festival, sometimes multiple every weekend.

or what about the same kind of parade in Key West Florida in Late october??
I agree - this is not a travel alert. I too thought something happened.:confused3

I really appreciate the "travel alert". Our tour starts on June 11th, so we'll be right in the midst of it. Should be very interesting. My DS15 loves to film all kinds of interesting things, so this will give him lots to work with!!!

I really appreciate the "travel alert". Our tour starts on June 11th, so we'll be right in the midst of it. Should be very interesting. My DS15 loves to film all kinds of interesting things, so this will give him lots to work with!!!

:lmao: I appreciate the alert too. And yes - I'm sure your son will have LOTS of colorful people/things to film! :lmao:

I can't believe what I'm reading here.
So, what if in your group there will be a gay couple? Are you not going to sit with them at dinner?
Uhm, that's a travel alert!

I didn't read it like that... I read it more as... "there are going to be even more people than normal in town that day... just a heads up"

But... that is how I look at the fact that we attend starwars weekends during gay days every year, too... ah well... lines just a little longer than I planned... oh well...

I guess, though, I look at things through the eyes of one of the "a little left of center" people who walks around Disney World wearing a Figment hat and grinning like an idiot while I get my picture taken with characters... because I'm totally a character and figure it isn't my problem if people think I'm weird... it is theirs.

:dance3::banana::dance3:

Not sure why everything has to be turned into a controversy. The poster gave their version of a travel alert...whether it be crowds, or the make-up of the crowd, it is something out of the ordinary. I don't think we would typically walk around Rome seeing cross-dressers and transvestites. Doesn't mean anyone is prejudiced against them, and sure, I'd have dinner if they asked :goodvibes, but it's still something you don't always see. No big deal, just a heads-up. :thumbsup2

To: SLK1, figmentfan2009, and blhickman....

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to do, which was to merely let people know that Rome will be much more crowded with people during that weekend (sexual orientation not a factor). I have many gay friends and it doesn't bother me in the least that Rome's streets will be filled with Gay Pride festivities. However, I would be remiss if I did not mention that some very conservative people with young children might be shocked by the sights.

If it's anything like the West Hollywood Gay Pride Parade which is held annually, there will be half-naked/almost naked men, some wearing sexy, provocative female attire, doing their thing. This might offend those who are not used to this type of show, and it's certainly very non-Disney. :scared1: Just a word of warning to those families who are bringing young children with them on the AbD in Rome that weekend.

SLK1.....we might run into each other at the Bernini Bristol....bring your party hat!!! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter