• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Agent?

mproca

Earning My Ears
Have any of you had bargains from a travel agent? Is it worth using one? We are going to Disney World w/o kids, staying at a Disney Resort, renting a car and will need air fare. I just wonder if an individual could do a better job as I am very thourough and very good at planning.

Thank you for your information on your experiences!

It definately depends upon the agent.....if you can find a good one who is willing to work for you - then it's great! We live in a small town here with one travel agent. Every time I have called her for airline tickets she spends a couple of minutes typing on her computer and then quotes me some horrific price for flight times that are hours away from what I requested. I'll say -- "That's the cheapest price?" and she'll say something like "That's the absolute cheapest available...and you'd better book it right now because they are almost filled!!!"

So then I get onto Travelocity or Expedia or the airlines own webpages and find what I wanted for much cheaper....
and I can't believe some of the prices that people pay when they book Disney World vacations with her....

If you hang around these boards long enough you will get some great tips on how to save money.

Now that being said -- I booked our Disney Resort myself at an Annual Passholder rate and then transferred the reservation to the Dreams Unlimited Travel service to let them help me make all my priority seating reservations and give me help with my itinerary. I've been very pleased with the work that they have done.

anyway -- here are some good websites to get you started

http://mousesavers.com
http://orbitz.com
http://dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Don't even bother with a Travel Agent in the age of the Internet. If you are organized, surf around and look through old posts of advice here you will be fine.

Just be careful of things that seem too good to be true (free disney tickets, free 3 night hotel stays if you sign up for a seminar, etc., etc.)

If you are booking a Disney hotel room, you know it will be clean and close. Definately check out Mousesavers.com. Also, sign up for all the major airlines e-specials, read your Sunday paper Travel section and surf Expedia, Travelocity and Smarterliving.com

Have fun!

I agree with PJ. Don't forget that travel agents work on commisions most times, so they make at least a percentage of your expenses!

Stay away from those "magic" packages, above all!!! When I realized the cost of those flex options and learned that I could have saved hundreds of dollars instead of giving them away, I was enraged! The cost of using an agent or acency does not come close to booking on your own. Often it is off by enough money to pay your expenses for at least a day! Now you tell me, even if it is off by just $100.00, wouldn't you rather spend that money on yourself and family? Heck, $100.00 buys you a nice meal and souvenirs! The thing is, if is often off by a couple hundred dollars.

Do your searches. You'll spend a few hours but you will have extra money to spend on yourself, rather than giving it away to an agent or travel company.

Wanda

$100 -- bah!

I have some friends who are basically doing the same vacation as we are -- only 1 week later. They have the same number of children as we do -- who fall within the same age categories. We are staying at the Beach Club (standard view) and they are staying at the Yacht Club (standard view). Both of us will be on the disney property for 6 nights and 7 days.

The cost of their "Resort Magic" package that they had to pay to the travel agent is about $3200
They still have to pay for food, air travel, airport transportation, and souvenirs.

My total vacation package is budgeted at $3500
This includes the Beach Club and Park Passes *AND*
$1000 for food
$270 for 2 nights at the airport Hyatt (We are flying in late in the evening the night before our
vacation starts and leaving at 7:00 am the next day -- in effect we have added almost 2 additional days.
$100 for Tiffany Towncar (including tips)
$200 for souvenirs
$132 for 1 air ticket (the rest of us are using frequent flyer miles)

Plus ---
I will have annual pass that is good for the entire year plus some unused options left over
from the rest of the families Park Hopper Plus passes.
Their family will have LOS passes that expire at the end of their vacation.

So -- when is is said and done they are going to end up paying about $1500 MORE than we will for the exact same vacation. In all fairness, they will have some flex options -- a character breakfast each) and some free pins or something. Definately not anything that is worth $1500.

What amazes me is that the husband cannot see the price difference. When I showed him my budget in my Passporter he said something about "not falling for internet scams." I dropped the matter there -- no point in coming to blows over it.....

I agree with you. My point was that they scam at least a couple hundred dollars out of your pocket with those magic packages. But I have also heard some people falsely claim that the cost comes pretty close to that of you booking on your own.

Then what I meant to say was that even if the difference is a mere $100, you'd rather spend it on your vacation instead!

I know a travel agent working for AAA who travels with her family free to Disney, every year. All she needs to do is sell a number of those packages and she gets a free trip! AT OUR EXPENSE!!

My sister and I met in Disney last year, with our kids. It costed her a fortune to travel there, and I thought we got a deal with some flex features in our resort packages. YOU would not believe how angry I was when I realized that each of our groups overpaid close to $500!! That money did not account for anything at all. We chose the character breakfast for the flex feature and it would never have costed us half that much! Oh they also gave us a pin which sells for $6.00 just about anywhere.

Bottomline is, those packages are blunt, crooked rip - offs. Book on your own and save. Stay away from travel agents and agencies, they're after a commission. None can beat the deals you can get by logging on to online sites and buying airfare, car rental, room, etc., on your own!!

Wanda

Hey Don't dish travel agents unless you have been there. Most travel agents work very hard for their commission. When you have a problem who do you call? Who is going to help you when you book on the internet and have a major problem ie schedule changes on airlines. Do your research and see if the travel agent can get you the same price or better. At least in my state the travel agents are bonded and also licensed. What happens when the dot.com goes under. Do your homework. I am going to Disney in Sept and the package we got is very worth the money.

When I have a problem, I contact the direct sources. In fact, I have had more problems booking through travel agents than booking on my own.

I recall my first time in Disney: I went to AAA and got a package through Kingdom Tours. I stayed offsite, but the hotel turned out to be a motel! It did not look anything like the picture they showed me! They advertised free transportation to the parks. It was not until I got there that I learned that the hot, non-air conditioned Laidlaw school buses were on a schedule making runs every 3-4 hours and often over 30 minutes late! I was checked in and ready by 12:00 PM, the bus had just left and I had to wait 4 1/2 hours for the next one! All that before I realized I overpaid more than $500.00 in a package so "magical" that that I could have spent that money on OUR vacation instead.

When an airline changes schedules on you, there's nothing an agent can do but charge you even more to find a suitable alternative. If you had booked on your own, you could just contact the company, return the tickets and get a full refund when you explain to them that the change turned out to be adverse. At NO extra charge!

If you book through a major airline, for instance, you get even better discounts in its website. The ".com s" are not going under anytime soon! And if they did, how would an agent help???

Travel agents (no personal attacks intended) do not want you to learn about all that the Internet has to offer. It is not in their best interest! If they did not sell you packages, they could not travel to Disney with their families for free, at *our* expense. You can do exactly what they can for you, and save a fortune!

Obviously, anyone claiming that packages are well worth the money did not do her research!

Wanda

Originally posted by Toby'sFriend
...What amazes me is that the husband cannot see the price difference. When I showed him my budget in my Passporter he said something about "not falling for internet scams." I dropped the matter there -- no point in coming to blows over it.....

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this comment. It is just too bad that he cannot see that what you have put together is no SCAM, but the result of lots of research on your part.
I am sure that both families will have the same amount of fun on your trips, but YOU will come home having spent less and gotten more! Good for you! :)

Oh boy, do I totally agree with Wanda. I've helped several friends and relatives save thousands on their Disney trips. Example: One friend and her family of 10 were going down last March. They had a package (through a TA) with LOS passes that was $8,000 for the week. This was 3 rooms at a moderate, LOS passes for 10, one character breakfast for 10, and 10 pins. I priced it all out seperately, getting them a great discount on the same moderate hotel and park hopper passes. They saved $2,200!! They also came back with two days left on their hoppers and a few plus options on each one as well. (another $1,000)

After that, several more friends called and asked for my help. I've helped people with Priceline, Hotwire, discount codes, you name it. I'm doing this because it's fun, DH thinks I should start asking for a fee. I think for the most part Travel Agents will be a thing of the past one day soon. There will always be a few who have no interest in saving money or doing the planning themselves but the number of Travel agencies will shrink considerably. If anything, Personal Vacation Planners will take over where Travel agents used to rein. (Like Dreams Unlimited) It's just a matter of time.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

I am very detail oriented and very much into saving money. We are going to WDW in June 2002. I started calculating costs in Feb. I figured out what it would cost me if I planned the whole trip on my own & then I e-mailed or faxed all the travel agents in my area to see if they could get me a better deal. They couldn't. I then submitted my info. to Dreams Unlimited and they were able to get me a better price and offered me a number of services for free (such as making my priority seating arrangements which save me $ on a long distance phone call) along with the better price! They have been absolutely wonderful and have asked so many detailed questions to get an idea of what is most important to me on my vacation. I have been so impressed so far. You may want to at least get a free quote from them. I really thought I could do a better job on my own, but I was wrong.

Happy Disney Planning!

mproca,

All I can say to you is "Thank the Heavens above that you found these boards b-4 you booked with an agent."
Here's my testimonial:

My DH, DD, & DS and I went on our 1st WDW trip in June. In January, my husband committed to taking this trip. Not feeling confident about my own travel planning skills (ironically, I didn't want to mistakingly lose $$$), I decided to call a family friend who was atravel agent. She gave me the "best" package for our budget:

$1000 Airfare $250 ea. from KCI to MCO on American Airlines
$2000 Kingdom Tours package (including 5 nights @ AS Sports, 6 day Park Hoppers, rental car for 6 days & the "Flex features" and trading pins)

So far I've spent $3000 and we haven't eaten or bought souvies yet.
Other costs included @ $800 in food and souvies. Total cost of trip was a little under $4000.
Not a horrific price, but I now know that I can do better on my own.

I had already booked w/ TA (w/ a $300 depostit) when I found DIS boards!
:pinkbounc
Here I found out about hotel discounts (I'm a teacher so I could have stayed @ S&D at an excellent rate)
websites for cheaper flights and tricks for saving on park passes.

Now, I'm determined (actually obsessed) with planning my next trip at a much cheaper price. By 2003 (next trip date)
I'll be a master at catching the best deals.

Hope you get enough feedback from everyone that gives you enough confidence in planning your own trip. :)

**In TA's defense... I don't feel as if I got "rooked"; I knew she would be making money off of my lack of initiative to plan on my own. She also was able to catch that Kingdom Tours went under right b-4 my trip and the agency rebooked w/ Fun Jet at the agencies expense. I'm not sure if they had to do that. Heard that other people had to repay for rental cars, ect. when they arrived in Orlando.**

For my trip at the end of August I had originally booked a package through Dreams Unlimited. The quoted price for an adult and one child in a value hotel was a little over $1,200. They offered to make my dinner ressies and offered $50.00 in Disney money.

Well, US Airways canceled the flight schedule and I was all screwed up. It went from direct flights to stop overs! Now with small children, I avoid that at all cost. So I called the travel agent to request a change and found out I'd have to pay the agency over $100.00 to reschedule!

I canceled the trip, recovered my $200.00 deposit and decided to book on my own. I came to these heavenly boards where I learned about mousesavers.com and those wonderful codes. Using ***, I got a room for less than $55.00/night. I got my confirmation number from Disney Travel and I knew I was on the right track. I bought my passes at the Disney Store, using my Disney Club card and got a 5% discount. While I was there, I bought the $50.00 in Disney money that I planned to give my child anyway. I made my own dinner reservations, sent back the US Airways tickets for a full refund at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE and booked direct flights through Delta. My savings? Almost $500!

That money is for us, OUR vacation. No travel agent will fly to Disney for free courtesy of my pocket, no Disney Travel agency will pocket it for nothing in return. No money wasted on commissions! No $500 to pay for a flex feature and a measly pin! My, when you figure out the cost of those two alone, you realize I'd paid over $450.00 alone in a character breakfast and a common pin. O U C H

So, I KNOW by experience that it pays to book on your own.

Wanda

Hi!

Too bad you don't have my travel agent. She tells me that most packages are rip-offs and says that it is cheaper for you to book your own air. She gets AP rates for people, as well as the hot new codes that are out. The extent of freebies from Disney is one pass at 1/2 price a year, and some discounts on rooms, especially in the month of September. Not all Travel agents are bad..........

Originally posted by DebK.
Hi!

Too bad you don't have my travel agent... Not all Travel agents are bad..........

And a good one is worth their weight in gold - or at least Disney Dollars! :)
Looks like you have found someone who really KNOWS Disney, Deb! Good for you! Wish that there were more like her out there. But since there does not seem to be, thank goodness for resources like this!

Hi!

Disney offers packages to guests because some people like the convenience of having components of a trip included when they plan. When you book a Disney package, you are paying for each component. For instance, with a Resort Magic Package, you are getting Unlimited Magic Passes, a resort stay, flex feature and pin. You ARE in fact paying for these components. But, you aren't being charged more for these components just because you have a package. And, Disney packages aren't raised in price just to cover an agency commission.

The only added cost which Disney has no control over is the airfare. When you book airfare through WDW Travel Company, there are only certain flights offered to them as a package wholesaler. So, if there is a schedule change on a confirmed flight, Disney mayonly have a limited number of flight options to offer a client. However, the only time Disney would increase a fare during a schedule change is if a client chose to travel on another airline or another flight besides the flight that was confirmed. There is no penalty for changing a flight. Price increases only occur if there is a fare increase due to booking another flight or another airline. So, there is no change fee involved. Guests can change/modify/cancel air and other components as many times as they'd like before the 45 day final payment period.

With the introduction of a variety of codes this year, many guests have found that it is more economical to book a room separately and add the components themselves. This is another challenge for many guests holding packages ( all packages are booked through WDW Travel Company) because these "codes" are booked in Disney's Central Reservations computer (a completely separate system with different booking procedures). So, these codes cannot be applied to Disney packages for discounts.

In the "code" scenario, it may be more cost effective to book a room-only reservation rather than a standard Disney package. Travel Agencies can and do book as many of these room-only type discount reservations as they do packages.

Whatever route you go--Happy planning, everyone! :)

The problem with many Travel agents is that they book vacations to Disney, as well as Figi, London, and Africa! Anotherwords, they cannot possibly be "up" on everything Disney....NOW...the travel agent that I am working with deals strictly Disney! She worked at CRO for many years, so she knows the ropes!
she is pretty much anti-package (unless that's what you want!), but she will work out several angles and help you decide which is best for you! I have saved mega-money with her! She does make a commission from Disney, but her philosophy is, that if she books a great deal for me, I will tell someone else....who will tell someone else...and so on....
I love Jean, and will probably never book on my own again!!!

I went with a travel agent and the package deal. The trip to Disney was going to cost me for 4 people, airline tkts, Resort Magic and Mears transfers $5881.00.

I than found these boards and bought my plane tkts cheaper. Than I made my resort ressies with a AP rate. I also bought park hopper plus and not Resort Magic.
I had given the travel agent a deposit of $200.00 but that does not mean that I had to keep it a package. I just kept paying for all of those thing when I could get them cheaper.
So I guess Iam trying to say that even if you have a package booked you can change it to what will be cheaper and what can the travel agent say but ok!

My trip is now $1200.00 cheaper and thats in spite of the travel agent.
Next time I will do it all by myself or use Dream Res.

:pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce:

Disney charges you for each component in a package but won't say how much. That is how you end up spending extra hundreds of dollars in those packages: They won't itemize it for you. The truth is, when you break it down and price each component yourself, you wonder where the hundreds of dollars you give them actually go! It NEVER comes close to buying each on your own.

I booked those packages twice (and almost three times) in the last four years before I realized how much money I wasted. I was mad when I added up the numbers.

Those in the travel bussiness get defensive when they read "exposé" posts on the cost of booking on your own compared to using a travel agent. Consumer minded people will acknowledge the fact that unless travel companies offer some incentives you can't find anywhere else, travel agents are an unnecessary thing of the past. They used to be necessary decades ago when calling an airline was a lengthy nightmare, and before the Internet. But they're not getting support from the airlines and tourism companies because these realize the Internet will give them a better bussiness!

The bottomline is, it is not about a personal attack, but open, honest experience accounts to those interested in saving money when they travel. If you're wondering about using an agent or booking on your own, do your research first. That will show your best options available.

Wanda

It will probably surprise some people here, but I want to speak up for travel agents.

A good travel agent will make every effort to SAVE you money. Unfortunately, there are some not-so-good agents out there who only know how to book packages. (Disney makes it easy and appealing for non-specialist TAs to do this.) However, there are travel agents out there who will do all the homework and figure out the best deal for you.

If you decide to book a Disney trip through a travel agent, be sure to find out whether he or she is a graduate of the College of Disney Knowledge, which allows him or her to use the designation "Disney Specialist." Then you know this person actually has the background to do a good job for you. A non-specialist travel agent who books Europe, cruises, Disney, Hawaii and everything else will probably be likely to offer you a package instead of doing all the research necessary to save you money.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter