Travel Agent Question

slbgnb

DIS Veteran
I've never used a travel agent, as I think I do a pretty good job researching and planning my own vacations. However, I've been hearing more problems with getting the discounts that do come out. I'm afraid that if a discount does come out, by the time I try to apply it to my package, there will be none available.

I know the travel agent is free for me to use, but in the end does the price of my package go up since Disney is paying a commission to them?

Is it worth using a travel agent to have a better shot at the best discounts? (Assuming they do indeed offer them for September)

Thanks!

I think an agent is useful for keeping track of each new discount that comes out. We used one for our last 2 trips and got a better room at a lower price and a heads up on a heavily discounted dining plan. It does not raise the price of a package.

Disney Travel Professionals can be a key to a great vacation. Over the years, Disney has placed many restrictions on specials. Disney agents try (and often succeed) in saving clients money. There is a science to it all but ask your potential agency/agent how these work.
My suggestion is do your homework on the type of agency you pick. Talk to friends, look for a reputable company, you may even go as far to ask if the agency is Earmarked. Earmarked is a special distinction given by Disney to show professional status. Good luck!

If you are going to use a travel agent, I would definitely work with an Earmarked Agency. TA's who specialize in Disney will know how to jump on the discounts when they are released and are typically on their computers at 6 am on the day they are released. They know the Disney Travel Agent system and so are more efficient than a TA who does not specialize in Disney. It does not cost more to use a TA. The prices are typically the same (sometimes lower). Disney pays a commission on the sale, but that does not affect the consumer price.

If you want to go the TA route, I would do some research, pick a TA and book. I would then give that TA a first, second and third choice of resorts/room categories that you will be ok with if a discount comes out. That way, when the discount is released, the TA can jump on the computer and see where the discount can be applied to your travel dates and resort/room category preferences.

I've never used a travel agent, as I think I do a pretty good job researching and planning my own vacations.

You would still research and plan your own vacation; I never understood why people think they can't. I use our Disney-certified TA for the sole purpose of getting the best discount possible for when I want to go, and booking our reservations. That's it.

If it says they are "an authorized disney vacation planner"...is that the same thing as "being earmarked?"

Is a TA remotely useful if you're using DVC?

Nope. There's nothing for them to book. They wouldn't even be hire-able.

I do everything on my own and just would want a TA if I got something from it. Perhaps a package from costcotravel.com would yield something extra. I once used mouseunlimited.com because I got something extra. And of course there's the board sponsor/owner Dreams Unlimited (who I assume I don't need to link a URL like I did with the others while following the rules for mentioning TAs).

I'm not a person that needs the full service of booking adrs and all that.

But listen, make sure you read everything before giving them money. There's a recent and ongoing post on, I believe, the Resorts board where a person gave a deposit before realizing the T&C of no changes no refunds etc. they are probably going to eat the $300 deposit to just get out of it, because they can find better deals elsewhere.

All TAs are not created alike.

Nope. There's nothing for them to book. They wouldn't even be hire-able.

I do everything on my own and just would want a TA if I got something from it. Perhaps a package from costcotravel.com would yield something extra. I once used mouseunlimited.com because I got something extra. And of course there's the board sponsor/owner Dreams Unlimited (who I assume I don't need to link a URL like I did with the others while following the rules for mentioning TAs).

I'm not a person that needs the full service of booking adrs and all that.

But listen, make sure you read everything before giving them money. There's a recent and ongoing post on, I believe, the Resorts board where a person gave a deposit before realizing the T&C of no changes no refunds etc. they are probably going to eat the $300 deposit to just get out of it, because they can find better deals elsewhere.

All TAs are not created alike.

That's what it seemed like to me, but sometimes there are tips on the Dis. I did not use a TA for my recent trip and don't see a real use for one, but just in case there were discounts that might help I figured I'd confirm. I prefer full control of my stuff and unless there are better discounts than are available through DVC directly, I'll continue to do so. :)

That's what it seemed like to me, but sometimes there are tips on the Dis. I did not use a TA for my recent trip and don't see a real use for one, but just in case there were discounts that might help I figured I'd confirm. I prefer full control of my stuff and unless there are better discounts than are available through DVC directly, I'll continue to do so. :)

I once thought like this too! I'm a big planner and need complete control, but I have to admit I was wrong. Booking through a travel agent and not being able to have control is a complete myth. They offer to do things, but I just say no thanks and diy. We used to rent points through a service and with that you have even less control because you are locked in vs being able to be a part of disney's terms and conditions. I do everything on my own, but the agent books the room for me because there's no way I'd find (for example) $200 per night for a room at the poly on my own. I'm just not that good lol. I also add tickets through them too because of the significant discount (this year we paid $698 for our 2 tickets vs disney's cost of $809). The problem is there are so many travel agents, you have to find a good one where they actually offer something beneficial because I feel like 98% of them don't.

Our TA hasn't done much when it comes to ADR's or Fastpasses (I've had to do all that myself, which wasn't a big deal), but she was able to handle our re-booking when room discounts came out. I'm sure I could have figured out how to do it, but not having to worry about it was incredibly helpful.

If you book through a TA - can you still see all your info on the My Disney Experience? And customize your bands through that and make your ADR's through that?

If you book through a TA - can you still see all your info on the My Disney Experience? And customize your bands through that and make your ADR's through that?
Yes, you can. I am a TA and sometimes I do those things for my clients and sometimes they do. Just depends on what they want. They have complete control of their MDE account and I can only access it if they give me their login/password info.

I once thought like this too! I'm a big planner and need complete control, but I have to admit I was wrong. Booking through a travel agent and not being able to have control is a complete myth. They offer to do things, but I just say no thanks and diy. We used to rent points through a service and with that you have even less control because you are locked in vs being able to be a part of disney's terms and conditions. I do everything on my own, but the agent books the room for me because there's no way I'd find (for example) $200 per night for a room at the poly on my own. I'm just not that good lol. I also add tickets through them too because of the significant discount (this year we paid $698 for our 2 tickets vs disney's cost of $809). The problem is there are so many travel agents, you have to find a good one where they actually offer something beneficial because I feel like 98% of them don't.

So what savings or packages have you been offered when you do not book a room through the TA?

So what savings or packages have you been offered when you do not book a room through the TA?

Just the typical promotions Disney offers, or if you can find the right machination of codes to book through Orbitz, or something like that, or the savings of renting points through a service, but that's my point. There are travel agents in which you can go through where you can still have control over your reservation, but utilize their exclusive savings on room, tickets, etc... a savings you probably won't even come close to getting when attempting to book on your own. I NEVER thought a TA could offer as much savings as they do. I was wrong.

"Package" implies a room and something added. Can be a ticketless package with dining, can be a package with tickets only, but all "packages" have a room component or it's not a package. A TA is able to sell individual park tickets, but most can't offer any discount on a stand alone ticket sale so it's better to use an authorized Disney ticket seller like Undercover Tourist for small ticket discounts. Can't sell a meal plan without a room in the booking either. If you have DVC then dining plans have to be added through DVC by the owner, a TA has no access to that.

What "package" components do you want to add to your DVC room? You won't have a "package" per se, but can add most components right through DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter