• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel agent or not?

bcoleman22

Earning My Ears
Thought this might be a common question, but couldn't anything after a brief search...We've been to WDW twice now and are planning a third trip next year. Both times we booked through a travel agent. Is there any real benefit to using an agent vs booking through Disney?

Thanks
Brian

Using a TA is a benefit for people who don't have the time or don't want to deal with pricing and booking their vacations :). For me, planning is half the fun and I love looking for deals and calling Disney to book my trips, so I prefer doing everything myself rather than use a TA :goodvibes.

OK, full disclosure, I am one, so I am a little biased. I will say that I booked my own trips for the last 5 years, and did a darn good job. I tried an agent for the first time when I was planning a spur of the moment trip and just did not have the time or patience to do all the research to try to get the best deal. It was the best move I could have made.

The big advantage to me is that a good agent will be aware of all the new deals that come out, and will automatically rebook you if something better than what you have comes out. You are always guaranteed to get the best deal without much effort. A good agent will also use resources to help you plan an itinerary and book all your dining reservations, which is a nice perk and saves you time and energy. Finally, if something does go wrong on your trip, it is nice to have someone in your corner to help you get through it. On my last trip I fell in MK and severely sprained my ankle. My agent helped me make arrangements for a scooter, which was a great help in a time of need. I loved my agent so much,I became one. Hope this helps :)

Using a TA is a benefit for people who don't have the time or don't want to deal with pricing and booking their vacations :). For me, planning is half the fun and I love looking for deals and calling Disney to book my trips, so I prefer doing everything myself rather than use a TA :goodvibes.

Is this why we're RCers? I agree wholeheartedly. :laughing: I like to have complete and total control of every aspect. :rolleyes1

I have been a TA for over 15 years, so of course I am biased too ;). That being said, the biggest plus for us is that we have lots of experience dealing with the things that could/do go wrong. Up here, we have a lot of weather issues. My clients have been thrilled that I have been able to work through these for them vs them sitting on multiple phonelines with Disney, airlines, car rental, etc. Also, I find that tour operators tend to be more "forgiving" to TA's with changes/penalties vs individuals. That could be because of the relationships that TA's have with their tour operators.
TA's, for the most part, get very few discounts that a diligent individual couldn't get on their own. We just know where to go to get them. We all have our own favorite places. We do have access to different sites/telephone numbers. This will come in handy when new deals come out. We don't have to wait on the phone and our sites usually work pretty well, so we can sometimes add the deals before anyone else. Additionally, with dining, we have a different site. Hope this helps you make a decision. :goodvibes

TA's are no cost to you, which is why I like them. Just tell them what you want to do and they'll pull it all together-- they also know all the discounts that you may not be aware of.

I managed corporate travel for an international corporation (among other things), so I tend to make my own travel plans for US travel.

If travelling internationally, I would definately use the same travel agent I have used for years. She is very knowledgable and dependable...besides, she gets my need for details.:thumbsup2

Otherwise, a trip to WDW is all me. :cool1:

This is me as well. I like to be in control and like you said planning is half the fun. I know this may be silly but if I run into a vacation planning dry spell, sometimes I will call up just to speak to a CM.:lmao:

I booked direct with Disney, THEN transferred. I did this because I, too, like to be in control, and honestly, it drives me NUTS not having complete control now, even though I haven't needed it. That said, I transferred it to a TA because of what I've heard about them being able to help handle any situations that arrive while on vacation...hopefully we won't need that either, but, just in case. Also, in case we needed to REBOOK under different circumstances, I've heard every once in a while people having issues with DIsney with that, but not with a TA...so....next time though....I will prob keep the ressie myself.

What I am reading here is "I loved my agent so much, I decided to become competition to them." ;)

Ha!! Not quite, just figured with all my Disney geekiness, I would be pretty good at it too, and it would be cool to help people the way she helped me. You make it sound so underhanded!!:goodvibes
;)

Personally, I find all the planning and booking half the fun... I helps bridge the time until your trip. I actually find that part super exciting and I take pride in planning a great trip for my family.

I've never used a TA but I can see it being very useful if you don't have the time or need some help finding discounts (there are always discounts if you're looking/asking).

However you do it, have a great trip and don't forget your ADRs!

I always had full control of our entire WDW trip, I love spending time reading and researching it all myself.
Then I started helping friends plan trips for the fun of it. They often WANTED to pay me for my advice and help.

SO.....I became a travel agent so I can book for other people and DISNEY pays me. My clients want me to do it all for them. They want to be able to pick my brain about Disney. They love that I have been there/done that. AND.....I have had a few clients have problems once they got there and they love letting me be the bad guy and get things resolved for them;)

*cough* Im a TA also. I actually manage a cruise company full time and own a Disney travel agency on the side. I cant imagine NOT using an agent when someone travels. I think most vacationers feel that the agent is going to cost them more money. This is not true. An agent does well based on reputation. Why would they hinder their sales by selling things at a higher rate? It doesnt really make sense to me. Plus, a travel agent is there in case your flight is delayed/cancelled, a hotel declares you dont have a room confirmed when you arrive, its like a personal assistant.

I would NEVER trust my travel to third party vendors like orbitz, priceline, etc. If you someone happens, they cant help you AND is usually costs you penalty fees for something as simple as changing a check in date.

TA are great for Disney as hard as it may seem because there are people who dont have time to plan, are very budget conscious, etc. My company also offers payment plans for Disney to make it easier for people.

So I said all of this to say: Travel Agents rock! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter