travel agency or book directly via Disney?

cstergio

Earning My Ears
Hi all, we've been on 9 cruises but never Disney (now have a 4 year old so DW 2011, 2012 & cruise last minute in 2013)

On our other cruises we used Expedia with some and others the cruise line directly. If there was a problem it was easier to work with the cruise line directly and not have to go through Expedia. We're looking at August 2013 and the diff in price for category 4a is $350 I'm not sure how Disney cruise line is to work with but we stayed at BayLake Tower/Contemporary at DW & their customer service was incredible.

pros? cons? using expedia vs Disney directly?

thanks so much!!

Hi all, we've been on 9 cruises but never Disney (now have a 4 year old so DW 2011, 2012 & cruise last minute in 2013)

On our other cruises we used Expedia with some and others the cruise line directly. If there was a problem it was easier to work with the cruise line directly and not have to go through Expedia. We're looking at August 2013 and the diff in price for category 4a is $350 I'm not sure how Disney cruise line is to work with but we stayed at BayLake Tower/Contemporary at DW & their customer service was incredible.

thanks so much!!

As you've worked with a online TA in the past, you know how it goes.

We always book direct with DCL. I'm a bit of a "I need to be in control" person, so a TA wouldn't work for me.

TAs can't discount the prices that DCL has, so I'm not sure how there's a difference in price for using yours. Typically, the difference between using or not using a TA is that TA may give you some onboard perks if you use their service.

Booking with a travel agent ( not Expedia ) gives you someone in your corner to work for you if you run into an issue or have a question. You can book directly and get the same price but you get a more personal experiance by using a regular agent.

As you've worked with a online TA in the past, you know how it goes.

We always book direct with DCL. I'm a bit of a "I need to be in control" person, so a TA wouldn't work for me.

TAs can't discount the prices that DCL has, so I'm not sure how there's a difference in price for using yours. Typically, the difference between using or not using a TA is that TA may give you some onboard perks if you use their service.

We too book directly through DCL. I guess, "I need to be in control" as well. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

We're using a TA and are very glad we are. She's been able to answer our questions and work out an upgrade for us that we wouldn't have been able to get on our own.:worship: We've never used a TA for anything else, but I think it's worth it, and we did get an OBC.

I also typically need to be in control, but have turned our cruise reservations over to a Dreams Unlimited TA for the on board credit. Once you have paid for the cruise you still get access to the DCL website to book your own excursions and make your own reservations.

On our other cruises we used Expedia with some and others the cruise line directly. [/ QUOTE]

My opinion, if you are booking with Expedia you are not gaining anything. There is no expertise to go to and no one to help you if there are problems. I use a real Travel Agency that has real people I can call 7 days a week. If I have questions they can answer them. If I have problems there is someone to call and ask for help. IF we need something special from Disney they know the Disney Management. On Cruises they often are on the ship and come by and make sure everything is going well. Has Expedia ever done that? Will booking direct with Disney do that ?

Just my opinion.

I've had nothing but frustration when booking through a TA (slow response, impatience, not knowledgable, no direct contact just online) and nothing but success when booking directly through Disney (I've called many times and get a happy voice on the other end of the phone) AND I get to listen to Disney music while I hold. :laughing:

I never understood using a TA when there is SO MUCH information online. I research before, during and after making my reservation. I can tailor the reservation as I learn more tips. And no one is irritated by a new request.

I've booked with WDW on my last 4 packages and it was a breeze. I booked directly with DCL this first cruise and again...a breeze. I'm doing a Sea/Land vacation and booked both components separately by myself with NO issue.

The small on board credit is not worth the peace of mind I have if I want to make a change outside of normal business hours.

I went into our local AAA and asked "what benefit is there to booking through a TA vs. if I did it on my own" and her response "NONE". I was stumped. I sat there for about 15 seconds and then thought "Ya, I'm all set".

Any request I've made (dining, having a pull down bed, location, or special occasion) has been met with great satisfaction by calling Disney directly.

Some would say its a control issue but I also feel its a heck of alot of money to spend and not do your own research and homework. Then again, I do that with all big purchases (cars, vacuums, major appliances etc).

The secret is BE ORGANIZED. If you aren't then definitely go with a TA.

Good luck either way and have a magical vacation.

thanks so much!!

I booked our first cruise on DCL with them online. I had no problems at all doing this by myself. Our second cruise I used a TA and got a GREAT OBC and again had no problems. In fact she kept me informed as to what was going on and got us a Florida resident discount when Disney opened that up. I have booked all of our other cruises with the same TA. Keep getting those GREAT OBC's!!!!

thanks so much!!

We booked a Disney cruise through Expedia and another through Vacations to Go and a third direct from Disney. We had no problems with any but I felt more comfortable booking direct. Moving forward we will book direct with Disney, probably on board.

thanks so much!!

I booked with Dreams Unlimited strictly for the $250 OBC they are giving me for my cruise. I knew what I wanted so I didn't need them to do any of the leg work for me. However, after many emails back and forth with my agent, I would book with her again without the onboard credit. She has been great. :goodvibes

We go through CruiseCompete.com

This website will give you quotes from many different agents. You pick which one you like best.

They are not able to give any discounts, but the cruise we are going on in oct, they gave us a $300 OBC. That will take care of our tips and still have spending money left over.

Cruise Compete is great.

disneybass said:
We booked a Disney cruise through Expedia and another through Vacations to Go and a third direct from Disney. We had no problems with any but I felt more comfortable booking direct. Moving forward we will book direct with Disney, probably on board.

I had an incredible experience with my Disney Cruise Vacation Planner. (CVP) when Chase refused to give me my approved Disney acct info on the phone, she let me book it that day with any card with the idea that when the Disney card came in the mail, we would move it over to that and get out six months interest free trip and on board credit. That was the ONLY way we could get to surprise our parents and join them on their anniversary cruise in three weeks. She linked our dinner reservations, made sure everyone knew it was a surprise, and even tho we all booked under VGTs, linked all three of our staterooms next to each other and two adjoining, so we could open up our balconies and have a big family veranda which was sooo nice! I hear it is rare to have choice rooms together on VGT booking, so I cannot emphasize enuf how much I appreciated her! We saved soo much time on a 3 day not having to go up and down and to different ends of then ships to meet up! I could peek next door and have tea with Mom!

As it turns out, billing DID apply a credit... To the wrong card! After the cruise was done, they had accidentally applied the whole thing on the original non Disney card! I didn't know if they would be able to fix it or not. I emailed her again and she said not to worry, she would take care of it. She did. A few days later, the wrong card was credited and the Disney card was placed on the special financing.

I have kept her info again for our next one. I am unfamiliar with using TAs as I am very researched on my own. I also feel like working straight with Disney is what allowed me to cruise in the first place. When Chase refused to give me my acct info until my card came snail mail, I thought it was over. With less than three weeks, categories were selling out fast and if it had gone up one cent, husband would have said no way, that's it. Instead, my CVP said 'let me go talk to our manager and see what we can do'. She really helped us every step of the way from when we booked at first, to placing three VGTs booked at different times adjoining and next to each other, and fixed a major billing problem after the cruise was totally over. It was the standard wonderful customer service we have been delighted with from Disney all along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter