Travel advice

theoddcouple

Earning My Ears
I was just wondering if any one had any experiance driving down to Florida from Toronto. I will be going over the boarder at the peace bridge in Niagara into buffalo, Then down the I-90 in NewYork, to the I-79 from Pennsylvania-West Virginia, to the I-77 from Virgina - South Carolina, Finally the I-95 from Georgia to Florida and the 4 over to Disney. does any one have any tips or suggestions on places to stay looking to get close to Georgia as I can before finding a hotel. Is there any really good picture places along the route or great littel dinners. I will do this travel alone in beginning of September. Thank you.

Obviously, I don't join your route till you hit 77in Virginia, but a couple of thoughts. One, if the weather has the potential to be foggy/rainy, take it easy coming down Fancy Gap (near the VA, NC border). It is a beautiful descent, but can be dangerous in foggy/nasty weather (the type of place that has 100 car pile-ups like it did last July).

As for a place to stop. We normally stop in Orangeburg, SC. It is about 30 minutes south of Columbia and has a fair number of hotels and resteraunts. I can normally get a decent rate using Priceline (just make sure to request 2 1/2 stars or higher and don't let it place you in Sanatee--that will require some backtracking). I like Orangeburg, because we can normally make it to Disney in 6 hours or so from there.

If you haven't done the drive before, I recommend getting off I-4 around Sanford and onto the Greeneway (417--think its exit 101). It's a few more miles and there are about $7-$8 in tolls, but it is faster and a much easier drive. Take it all the way around to the Disney exits 45-50 miles vs 35-40 miles on I-4. I make this drive 2-4 times a year; trust me when I say this is the way to go.

Good luck and safe driving. :thumbsup2

Thanks I have made the drive as an adult once but it was with family and we just went none stop and split the driving between 3 people. It was my car so I started at crossed the boarder and didn't have to drive again after we stopped for breakfest just before the mountains in WV. Just a bit nervous being alone and driving there's nothing really to keep my mind busy on the long stretches. I will keep orangeburg in mind. Is it still on the route I don't want to devate off the interstate to much.

Yep, Orangeburg is right off the interstate. The only other thing I was going to mention, is try and avoid hitting Charlotte, NC anytime btwn. 4-7pm. You will loose an hour in traffic if you do (I have learned this the hard way).

I live in Toronto I live in traffic. at 3am on a sunday morning the highway is busy near me haha. I will be leaving my house around 3/4am get as much driving as I can take a pit stop nap somewhere then continue till about 8/9pm get a hotel and start again the next day around 5am

I was just wondering if any one had any experiance driving down to Florida from Toronto. I will be going over the boarder at the peace bridge in Niagara into buffalo, Then down the I-90 in NewYork, to the I-79 from Pennsylvania-West Virginia, to the I-77 from Virgina - South Carolina, Finally the I-95 from Georgia to Florida and the 4 over to Disney. does any one have any tips or suggestions on places to stay looking to get close to Georgia as I can before finding a hotel. Is there any really good picture places along the route or great littel dinners. I will do this travel alone in beginning of September. Thank you.

Many times. And absolutely love it. West Virginia just feeds my soul in its people and loveliness. And the descent from VA to NC is breathtaking on a clear day.

If you do the US 19 to Beckley, VA, to bypass tolls/shorten route from the 79 to the 77, just watch your speed. It's always fun to play which Ontario car will get pulled over next. :rotfl2:

Lake Norman, NC just north of Charlotte is an absolutely lovely stop for the night.

Also, there is a rest stop near there that sits right on the water. US rest stops make me happy! :lmao: :thumbsup2

Savannah Ga (Pooler is where the interstate hotels are situated) is also a lovely area to take in. Go down to the water - the historic area is lovely - ghost tours etc.

I've stayed in Columbia, SC as well. But not as interesting.

Enjoy.

My kids and I drive from London pretty much every trip. We do so because we all enjoy the drive. We have flown a few times and we just rather be driving. We are heading down I75 for an early Sept trip our first Sept and I am not looking forward to the heat and humidity.

My kids and I drive from London pretty much every trip. We do so because we all enjoy the drive. We have flown a few times and we just rather be driving. We are heading down I75 for an early Sept trip our first Sept and I am not looking forward to the heat and humidity.

Yea I remember it being a really pretty drive. I love driving and road trips but I've never gone this far alone before. So just trying to make sure I have everything set up. Also this winter we have had I'm really itching to get out of it like i'm sure we all are

Yea I remember it being a really pretty drive. I love driving and road trips but I've never gone this far alone before. So just trying to make sure I have everything set up. Also this winter we have had I'm really itching to get out of it like i'm sure we all are

This is my 3rd solo drive to Disney with the kids since my divorce I quite enjoy it.

This is my 3rd solo drive to Disney with the kids since my divorce I quite enjoy it.

i have driven 9 times -- then i figured i was saving myself a lot of aggravation flying :)

Mind you -- i would love to drive there, and fly back home -- the drive home always killed me ;)

i have driven 9 times -- then i figured i was saving myself a lot of aggravation flying :) Mind you -- i would love to drive there, and fly back home -- the drive home always killed me ;)

Ah yes the drive home. Never really thought of that haha. I'm sure the drive home is much more depressing then the drive there. Do you know i slightly remember there being a big outlook in the mountains in West Virginia. Am I imagining things or is that actually something.

i have driven 9 times -- then i figured i was saving myself a lot of aggravation flying :)

Mind you -- i would love to drive there, and fly back home -- the drive home always killed me ;)

We have been driving down since 78. This will be my 14th drive down mixed in with 4 flights down. The kids have been on 3 of those flights and always prefer the drive as do I.

...If you do the US 19 to Beckley, VA, to bypass tolls/shorten route from the 79 to the 77, just watch your speed. It's always fun to play which Ontario car will get pulled over next. :rotfl2:...
Agreed!! We always drive this section at the speed limit. Once we had a car with Ontario plates pass us doing no more than 1-2 miles above the limit. They got pulled over! They really are strict on speeders.

The route you are proposing is our favourite. We have done both this route and the I75 and really prefer the I77/79. It is a far nice drive and shorter by around 100km from the Toronto area. Usually we leave early in the morning and put in a 14 hour drive the first day, stop for the night and let the kids swim in the hotel pool to blow off some steam. Usually this puts us around Columbia SC. Then up by 6am and on the road by 7am. This puts us in WDW by early afternoon. We do stop briefly but only for gas and food.

Don't let anyone talk you out of crossing the border at the Peace Bridge. It is by far the quickest way across the border. You by-pass Buffalo and all the shoppers crossing at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge.

I believe the scenic spot in WV may be the bridge on US19, google "bridge day" I think this is the highest bridge in the country. looks like little toy trains run under it.

I believe the scenic spot in WV may be the bridge on US19, google "bridge day" I think this is the highest bridge in the country. looks like little toy trains run under it.
That is the New River Gorge Bridge, at one time it used to be the longest arch bridge in the world. It is still something like the fourth. Still pretty impressive IMHO. Check out the wiki page on it! We found it by accident on one of our first drives down, our oldest really had to take a break so we stopped at the National Park sign. We spent quite some time there and really enjoyed our visit.

That is the New River Gorge Bridge, at one time it used to be the longest arch bridge in the world. It is still something like the fourth. Still pretty impressive IMHO. Check out the wiki page on it! We found it by accident on one of our first drives down, our oldest really had to take a break so we stopped at the National Park sign. We spent quite some time there and really enjoyed our visit.

Awesome thank you so much, stopped here when I was really little like 6 years old and this and the tunnels through the mountains are some of my biggest memories. Forgot the name of the look out point for the bridge and was looking for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter