Transportation of Vehicles

Jaimenjones

Earning My Ears
Im not really up for driving 19 hours to Orlando, I prefer just to fly (to save money on gas and wear on the car as well as time its only 2 hours to fly). However, I really do want to have my car with me at the College Program. Do anyone know a inexpensive way to transport cars? Im from Detroit

Im not really up for driving 19 hours to Orlando, I prefer just to fly (to save money on gas and wear on the car as well as time its only 2 hours to fly). However, I really do want to have my car with me at the College Program. Do anyone know a inexpensive way to transport cars?

ever look into autotrains?? i suggest now with gas prices, you don't even need your car down there.. the buses do a pretty good job overall... i didn't have a car down, and I did just fine.. who knows, maybe you can make friends with those who have cars, and carpool...just to save money.. it's not like you will be making a ton of money..

I'd second the auto train.

Car haulers are EXPENSIVE and you have to be there when they arrive to sign for your car...which not knowing your schedule is a potential pain.

I'm from Jersey, and my parents were worried about me driving down on my own, so I'm taking an autotrain. I'm doing the Fall Advantage program starting May 28th - so I'll be taking the 4 PM autotrain from VA on May 26th....It's a bit price-y, but not bad considered how much gas you would be paying for on the way down...A friend of mine who is a CP alumni took the autotrain and said it was the best thing ever.

P.S. If you're a AAA member you get a discount!

You don't say where you are coming from but I 4th the autoTrain. I always take it when I'm going down to FL. The idea of driving 13 hours by myself is not appealing. It runs from Lorton, VA (about 30 minutes south of Washington DC) to Sanford, FL (about 30 minutes north of orlando). Look into it is you are anywhere near VA. It's totally worth the price.Auto Train is Awesome!

I did look into the auto train and unfortunately its not available in my area. It takes 13 hours to get to DC. In that case I should just drive to Fl. Any other suggestions?

Take an extra day to get here and just drive it.

I could not imagine being down here for 5-8 months without a car. I had friends that had no car and took the bus everywhere and they hated it.

Having my car down here made my experience increase ten fold I am sure. Being able to go anywhere you want , whenever you want, is a blessing in disguise. There are a million things to do down here other than Disney and I believe if you didnt bring a car, you would be mad at yourself.

Autotrain only goes from VA to FL, so I know thats not an option, but shipping a vehicle isnt really a cost effective solution. I had a vehicle shipped a similar distance and it cost about $1100 plus insurance when I was moving out of Cali.

Take an extra day to get here and just drive it.

I could not imagine being down here for 5-8 months without a car. I had friends that had no car and took the bus everywhere and they hated it.

Having my car down here made my experience increase ten fold I am sure. Being able to go anywhere you want , whenever you want, is a blessing in disguise. There are a million things to do down here other than Disney and I believe if you didnt bring a car, you would be mad at yourself.

Autotrain only goes from VA to FL, so I know thats not an option, but shipping a vehicle isnt really a cost effective solution. I had a vehicle shipped a similar distance and it cost about $1100 plus insurance when I was moving out of Cali.

Yeah, It looks like thats whats I am going to have to do. $1,305 was my quote for shipping my car.

I'm in the same boat as you about the car. I don't have enough time between my graduation and my start date to drive my car down from Seattle, so I was actually thinking about just renting a car down there long term.

I haven't actually looked into the pricing just yet but if you're willing to leave your car in Detroit, renting a car might be an option?

Renting a car will be quite pricey. I will be heading back down for my second CP in Fall and I am driving, no where near as far as some of you but on my first program, I did not have a car and I was fine. In the Fall, I 'refuse to drive to work, I will be taking the bus.

In March, the gas station next to Vista Way was $3.89 per gallon. I think it would be a waste of money to rent a car that you wont drive because gas prices are so high. If you want to take trips to Miami and such, you can usually rent a car for the weekend and split costs between everyone that is going. The bus system works well for getting to work, if you know how to use a mass transit system. That means if you have to be at work at 6pm and one bus arrives at 5-50pm and another gets there at 5-25pm. Take the one that gets there earlier. There is always a chance of traffic etc. If you plan the travel time into your work day, it wont bother you. you can also always find someone to give rides to the supermarket, etc. especially if you offer them a couple bucks for gas.

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned I'm going to FL on a PI and not a CP. I didn't know CPers got transportation, cause we don't. :sad1: I don't know anything about the bus systems there so I can't comment!

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned I'm going to FL on a PI and not a CP. I didn't know CPers got transportation, cause we don't. :sad1: I don't know anything about the bus systems there so I can't comment!

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully the info may still help others.

I'm in the same boat as you about the car. I don't have enough time between my graduation and my start date to drive my car down from Seattle, so I was actually thinking about just renting a car down there long term.

I haven't actually looked into the pricing just yet but if you're willing to leave your car in Detroit, renting a car might be an option?

I'm not sure how old you are... but if you are under 25 it will be VERY VERY pricey!!!

I'm driving from Iowa simply to have my car when my husband comes to visit. Since we are both 24, renting cars for us is outrageous. Since he won't be able to ride the buses as easily with me, we decided that having my car there would be the best. I'm planning on riding the bus whenever possible though!

I'm not sure how old you are... but if you are under 25 it will be VERY VERY pricey!!!

I'm driving from Iowa simply to have my car when my husband comes to visit. Since we are both 24, renting cars for us is outrageous. Since he won't be able to ride the buses as easily with me, we decided that having my car there would be the best. I'm planning on riding the bus whenever possible though!

My husband is 25 so that's not a problem there. :)

Another thing we have here in Seattle is something called Zip Car. I think it used to be FlexCar? You pay a small monthly fee (like $10?) and you can use the car when you need to. No age fees or anything, you just sign up for the car when you need it.

Ok so I am going to be in Celebration FL for a PI with the WDPRO QA internet group. I've heard a lot about the transportation discussions. I also have a similar question: I have a car and I live in Missouri, would it be best to drive my car down there if I can (I have no problem driving long hours) or have it shipped, which is cheaper?

renting an car would be great... only if i was old enough... im 18

Ok so I am going to be in Celebration FL for a PI with the WDPRO QA internet group. I've heard a lot about the transportation discussions. I also have a similar question: I have a car and I live in Missouri, would it be best to drive my car down there if I can (I have no problem driving long hours) or have it shipped, which is cheaper?

Thats about a 18-19 hour drive. With gas prices i think it would be cheaper to take a train down and ship your car. Im in the same boat as you. Detorit to FL is about the same distance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter