Transportation from Disney to Cape Canaveral

Cheryl-Lynne

Mouseketeer
We are interested in seeing the rocket launch on June 2. What is the best way to get from our resort (Wildnerness Lodge) to Cape Canaveral?

Thank you:)

Rent a car.

Second best way, town car.

Third best way, check Mears.com, see if they offer any type of bus or shuttle transportation.

Alternative: check the KSC site, see if they have a transportation information link.

First best way is to watch it from the Disney hotel or the parks. It is a nightmare getting over there to watch a shuttle launch. Bumper to Bumper traffic from just east of Orlandi International to the coast, 45 miles of stop and go. No places to park because they are all parked up. If the shuttle launch is scrubbed you have to put up with the traffic back to Orlando to try another day.

When you get over there you will be about 10 miles from the launch site so all you do is hear the noise and pick up the shuttle at about 1000 to 3000 feet in lift-off. As soon as that thing disappears you have to put up with all the traffic going back. It really isn't worth the trouble you have to go through to see it. I have traveled to two launches and watched all the others from 45 miles away.

If you are really into it, get a room at the beach the night before the launch. Possibly the Raddison, country Inn Suites or Residence Inn at the port and watch it from there. That would be closer than any other place you can get if you travel over the same day and you might even stay two nights just to avoid the traffic.

First best way is to watch it from the Disney hotel or the parks. It is a nightmare getting over there to watch a shuttle launch. Bumper to Bumper traffic from just east of Orlandi International to the coast, 45 miles of stop and go. No places to park because they are all parked up. If the shuttle launch is scrubbed you have to put up with the traffic back to Orlando to try another day.

When you get over there you will be about 10 miles from the launch site so all you do is hear the noise and pick up the shuttle at about 1000 to 3000 feet in lift-off. As soon as that thing disappears you have to put up with all the traffic going back. It really isn't worth the trouble you have to go through to see it. I have traveled to two launches and watched all the others from 45 miles away.

If you are really into it, get a room at the beach the night before the launch. Possibly the Raddison, country Inn Suites or Residence Inn at the port and watch it from there. That would be closer than any other place you can get if you travel over the same day and you might even stay two nights just to avoid the traffic.

You are way off base since there is no shuttle launch on 6/2 - the original poster was referring to a rocket launch - not the launch of a space shuttle.

While your comments apply to shuttle launches - they hardly do for rocket launches as, comparitively speaking, a much smaller percentage head over to the Cape for rocket launches versus the shuttle.

From the ksc.nasa.gov web site:

Date: June 2 *
Mission: LRO/LCROSS
Launch Vehicle: United Launch Alliance Atlas V
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station - Launch Complex 41
Description: LRO will launch with the objectives to finding safe landing sites, locate potential resources, characterize the radiation environment and test new technology. The Lunar CRater Observing and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, mission is seeking a definitive answer about the presence or absence of water ice in a permanently shadowed crater at either the Moon's North or South Pole.

See the following for tips of viewing rocket launches:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/launchingrockets/viewing.html

The next shuttle launch is targeted for 6/13/09 - ENDEAVOUR to the ISS.

Sorry,

I know there is a shuttle on the pad right now so I figured that was what the OP was referring to because the Shuttle launches are so much more spectacular than a rocket launch. You are right no one goes over to watch a rocket launched from the Air Force station.

Sorry,

I know there is a shuttle on the pad right now so I figured that was what the OP was referring to because the Shuttle launches are so much more spectacular than a rocket launch. You are right no one goes over to watch a rocket launched from the Air Force station.

Next scheduled Shuttle launch is June 13th, which is of course the day before I get there, here's hoping for a 1 day delay. :)

I've already missed 2 or 3 launches by days, with only 9 planned launches left, would like to catch one of them.

It may of course go up earlier if a rescue mission is needed to save the astronauts currently working on Hubble.

Thank you for all of your help. Although it is not a shuttle launch, I think the kids will enjoy seeing a rocket launch too. I'm just not sure if I really want to take a day off from Disney to see it!!

We went to Jetty Park, got there early and enjoyed the beach. It was a wonderful place to watch the launch, very close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter