Transportation Confusion

LuckyMama0507

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

I am trying to do as much research as I can online about all the different transportation options, and in the end i just end up confused.

I would appreciate advice from people who are familiar with the transporation in Paris.

I will be arriving into CDG on Monday April 25th, going straight to DLP into Hotel New York. Will be staying there 3 nights.

Then would like to go from DLP to Paris, near the Gare De Lyon station. we will be staying in paris until Sunday May 1st.

While in paris with my husband and 2 children (5 and 3), we will be doing alot of siteseeing, mostly by walking around and also taking some of the public transportation ( i am not sure if my kids would be able to go through all thouse days of walking straight through).

Any advice you can give me on transportation routes (and ticket options) i would be very thankful !! from what i read i think the Carte Orange may be a good idea??

Also, i am thinking about renting a double stroller in DLP, does anyone know how much they cost? and also, in case my kids are really too tired to walk all over Paris, do you know if strollers can be rented in the city also?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully post me some ideas.

I'm sorry, I won't be able to help with the strollers, but wanted to say have you read the page Bexx wrote on Travelling to DLP by Train that's linked in The Very Useful Info sticky?

How are you planning on arriving from CDG? IMO the easiest option will be a private (or shared) shuttle - if you decide to take this option there's links to book these through in the Info sticky.

thanks for the reply, Ware Bears.

I will definately look into the link you shared with me :)

trying to find a not too expensive way to get from CDG to Disney...

wish me luck!!

The VEA bus will be the cheapest but with 4 of you, it may not be that much more for a shuttle.

I would just add that when you are actually in Paris, a nice way to get around is the open top tourist bus (particularly if the weather is nice).
It can be quite a trek walking from one attraction to the next, but the open top bus stops at all the main sites whilst also letting you see the rest of Paris as you go by - this is the advantage over the Metro, in my opinion. We usually get a 2 or 3 day hopper that lets you get on and off the buses as much as you like, and the routes are very clear.

Hi,

We have travelled from CDG to Disney a couple of times... You can check prices on this website.... http://www.raileurope.co.uk/default.aspx?tabid=39

The Departure is: Paris CDG Airport

And Arrival is: Marne La Vallee Ches (it's actually Chessy, but only Ches shows on the screen - this is the station at Disney)

Bonus is that it only takes about 7 minutes, it's the first stop from the airport. Tickets show as 45 pound for the 4 of you.

Enjoy!!

thank you for the responses.

lola, do you have a website that i can look into the open top buses? i like the idea of being able to hop on and off when ever we like.

gcmcmsa, thank you for the info...that was where all my research was leading me to...i love the idea of being there in less than 10 minutes :)

another question (sorry) when leaving Disney i would like to go to the Gare de Lyon station. Does anyone know the best (and not too expensive ) way to get there?

I am looking at all this transportation information for Paris and have to admit i am utterly confused. Hope i will be able to make my way and see some beautiful sites.

Also, have to ask again; does anyone know of stroller rental places in Paris (for just in case)?

Sorry another question about the TGV.

it is important to purchase tickets ahead of time, online? or can they be bought at the airport? (do i run the risk of it being sold out?)

I see that the tickets are sold with times, and i am not sure what time we will have collected our checked baggage and how long it will take to get to the correct terminal etc.

we arrive at 12:00 noon into terminal 2D at CDG. Can anyone tell me how much time to expect to take to collect our bags and make to the TGV terminal?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopfully give me some much appreciated advice.

Sorry another question about the TGV.

it is important to purchase tickets ahead of time, online? or can they be bought at the airport? (do i run the risk of it being sold out?)

I see that the tickets are sold with times, and i am not sure what time we will have collected our checked baggage and how long it will take to get to the correct terminal etc.

we arrive at 12:00 noon into terminal 2D at CDG. Can anyone tell me how much time to expect to take to collect our bags and make to the TGV terminal?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopfully give me some much appreciated advice.

you can do either - buy in advance or wait until you get there (there are ticket machines and you can also buy at a manned ticket booth). The TGV between CDG and DLP is a long-distance train, thats why you must have a ticket for a specific train.

I have always done the walk between terminal 2B (ie from the plane disembarking) to the TGV platform in less than 30 minutes, but thats with hand luggage only. I'd add another 30 minutes to be safe if you have hold luggage to collect.

another question (sorry) when leaving Disney i would like to go to the Gare de Lyon station. Does anyone know the best (and not too expensive ) way to get there?

You can go direct on the RER from Marne La Vallée - Chessy to Gare de Lyon. All the RER from Disney stop at all the Paris inner stations (Etoile/Auber/Les Halles/Gare de Lyon/Nation)

If the train stops at all the station it's like 13 stops and would cost 6.70€ one way full adult fare.

If you are looking to buy a weekly pass once in Paris you have now the Carte Navigo which runs from Monday to Sunday. This replaced le Carte Hebdomadaire and the monthly Carte Orange.

You can get the pass made up for free (they take your photo) in certain major stations.

It would cost you 18.35€ for 1 adult for unlimited use in zones 1-2 which covers all Paris metros, buses, trams and the Rer within Paris

Hth :)

Zinderella, Thank you for the stroller rental website...nice to know i have an option in case i need to rent one...

DLPdaft, thank you for the information. Do you know if it would be the same price to purchase at the airport versus over the internet for the TGV?

Ware Bears, thank you!! L'open tours looks great. I was reading up on some reviews at TripAdvisor and many people were saying it takes a long time to board the new passengers (who are purchasing their tickets for the first time) and that it generally takes a long time to get from stop to stop. Did you experience this? If so, would you still say it was worth it? Also, do you know if the weather at the end of April would be good for an open top bus (or are there usally many rain showers to have to deal with)?

Carrie Cat, Thank you!! though now you have torn me between the L'open tours and this Carte Navigo. I am not sure which would work out better for us. Our hotel is near the Gare De Lyon, so maybe the Carte Navigo would work out better to take us directly to the main points we would like to see, though i know when i see those open top buses going by i will kick myself for now having chose that option!!

so many decisions!! :)

thanks to all for all the great advice and tips :)

to get the cheapest prices on the TGV, you need to book tickets at least 10 days in advance.

Ware Bears, thank you!! L'open tours looks great. I was reading up on some reviews at TripAdvisor and many people were saying it takes a long time to board the new passengers (who are purchasing their tickets for the first time) and that it generally takes a long time to get from stop to stop. Did you experience this? If so, would you still say it was worth it? Also, do you know if the weather at the end of April would be good for an open top bus (or are there usally many rain showers to have to deal with)?

I didn't notice it taking an exceptionally long time for people to board and buy tickets but it's not necessarily a bad thing because when the bus is stationary is the best time to take photos. We only had one day in Paris and did two bus tours and went to the top of the Eiffel Tower so the routes are quite time-consuming but it let us see lots of major sites (albeit from the top of a bus) in just one day. As you've got more than one day you may not consider it worthwhile and prefer just to travel round by metro. It alternated between rain and drizzle all day and this was in August but hey we were tourists (!) so we sat in the open as long as we could (at one stage we had the whole top of the bus to ourselves) and when it got unbearable we sat downstairs as you still get a fair view from down there. The weather in April could be glorious sunshine or pouring down with rain.

Thanks for the replies. I still have a couple of questions though :(

DLPdaft, i went to the RailEurope website and priced out my tickets. If we were to go tomorrow it would be $61, but on my actual day of departure(at the saem times), on April 25th, it is coming up at $95. If i wait longer to purchase my tickets do you think the price will drop? Also, is there any difference between the different 'rail service' options? for example some are listed as 'TGV Duplex' and some are 'TGV Interconnection'. Sorry for all the questions.

Ware Bears, thank you for your insight. I am still torn between the tour or just going around on Metro. I think i may do a little of both, do the L'open tour and buy a couple books of tickets, instead of the weekly passes.

Does anyone know if those single tickets on the metro will take me from Gare De Lyon to CDG airport?

Thanks for all the help!!

with the TGV for that 10 minute journey, it doesn't matter whether its TGV duplex or anything else :). Duplex just means its a double-decked train.

I wonder if the price difference is because when you are going is Easter Monday? ie a different price band because its peak travel?

Ware Bears, thank you for your insight. I am still torn between the tour or just going around on Metro. I think i may do a little of both, do the L'open tour and buy a couple books of tickets, instead of the weekly passes.

!

Sorry it was me who initially recommended the buses then I never checked back!
Planning for a little of both might be the best idea, especially with the likely changeable weather in April. If its lovely and sunny the Metro is the last place you want to be, and the bus would be a delight. Vice versa if its pouring with rain!
I also don't think the buses took particularly long, I should stress that all the buildings and streets in Paris are beautiful and there is plenty to photograph, so its never boring travelling anywhere on these buses!
Sounds like you are very organised :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter