• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation at Animal Kingdom Lodge

cherice95403

Mouseketeer
Hello....we have a reservation at AKL on June, but I am starting to panic a bit because I keep reading how far it is from all the parks. Is there anyone who has stayed there that can give me realistic bus travel times?

I am considering a move to a 1 bedroom Villa at the Boardwalk Villas. Does anyone have any experience staying there?

Last edited:
We stay here pretty often and have never had a terrible experience. I will admit that the buses get crowded at the stop for Jambo house as I guess more guests depart from there since they have the quick service restaurants and Kidani doesn't. We always get where we're going pretty timely from here. Even to early morning events before park opening, like character breakfasts and such. a good rule of thumb is to plan for an hour of travel time though, I use this rule no matter where I'm departing from on Disney property though if Im relying on Disney transportation.

Its not that far from the parks. Its only a little over 20 min. to MK. Less to Epcot or DHS. Less than 10 min. to AK.

If you were staying at Boardwalk, it would take you about as long to get to MK.

I am also staying at AKL for the first time in Kidani Village. I've been a little worried about the bus system as well and began to consider renting a car instead. But everything I've read basically says just be early to the bus stop and we should be fine. So, what do you think Disney bus or spend the money on the car rental?

I haven't stayed at AK but at POP, which is just about as far from everything as AK. It didn't seem too bad, except for very, very long lines at night when everyone is leaving the parks. But most other resorts, including AK, did not appear to have lines as long as POP. I was considering AK as well because it is my favorite as far as atmosphere; there is just something so relaxing about it there, peaceful! I opted for Poly. because of being on the monorail. I like park hopping and just couldn't see me going back and forth from AK. So if park hopping is a must for you, I'd pick a monorail resort. What is more important....being close or staying at the resort you really love?

That is the primary reason I am considering the Boardwalk Villas. With it being Star Wars weekend I anticipate spending a lot of time at Hollywood Studios, which is walking/boat distance. It's such a hard decision!

The ride from AKL isn't bad at all. It is about the same as any other resort to the parks. I wouldn't worry about it.

AK is our home DVC property and we stay there often. We have always been pleased with the bus transportation, in fact, during Spring Break two years ago, we didn't wait more than 15 minutes for a bus to pick us up at the lodge. There isn't really a big difference in transportation time than from some other resorts. I agree with biim85 as well ... we pretty much allow for an hour of travel time no mater which resort we are staying at.

AKL is my home. I have never, never in over 6 years had a bad experience with the buses there. Especially at Kidani. At Kidani they have monitors which show you the expected arrival time of all the buses coming and going. A ride to MK can take 15 min or so but I've never waited a LOOONG time for a bus there. I have waited a few extra minutes going back to AKL from the parks but I've had that with other resorts too.
As far as crowds go, well that really depends on peak times. I've been on the bus when it's just me an DH and then it's been standing room only. Just depends on when you get on any bus especially leaving the parks to go back to the resort.
They do have an express bus to DTD (I don't think any other resort has this) and it's fairly quick as the route they take is usually behind the main road regular traffic takes.
I've seen many people dressed for STW in June on the buses at AKL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter