• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation... am I missing something?

luxlvr

Mouseketeer
Planning a Land and Sea trip. (Well, Sea then Land because of the time of year and crowds). 5 day/ 4 night Cruise + 5 day/ 4 night at WDW. DH, DS (9):stitch:, DS (7) :darth: , DD (5):tink:.

I've looked into a ton of transportation options and everything seems outrageously expensive. Usually we use Happy Limo Service and have been very pleased with the service. They even provide car seats which one of my children still needs. The trip is usually around $250 - $300 to and from WDW. I like them bc then I don't need to worry about traffic/ directions/ toll/ insurance, etc. I would LOVE to use them again but because of the 3 transfers (MCO to PC, PC to WDW, WDW to MCO) the cost is getting pretty high.

Looked into renting a car, but that seems like it will still be about $300 for the 10 days and then I need to worry about insurance, car seat, parking at PC, etc.

ME does the $35/ pp, MCO to PC but that's $175 each way... mind as well rent the car...

I'm fine with spending the money if it's what we need to do. I just feel like there has got to be something I missing. Maybe there is another transportation company out there that could do the transfers for the same $300 ballpark?? Is it better to just rent the car and stay in a hotel close to the ship to take a transfer / uber over there? Usually, transportation doesn't confuse me this much, but with Land and Sea there seems to be a lot moving pieces!

If you have done something that's worked or I'm just missing an amazing deal on car rentals or something else equally as awesome, would you mind sharing it.

Thanks so much!!
:mickeyjum

Consider using Uber. You will have to do the work to check out their prices. Google them and go from there. Good luck with your trip.

~NM

What we have done in the past..... rented a car at MCO and returned it at Cape Canaveral (Hertz, Avis, etc., are there). Just make certain you fill the tank before dropping it off, or they will charge you. Then you can rent another car when you get off the ship and drive to WDW. You could then either return the car there or keep it and drive it back to MCO when you fly home. I can't recall which companies are at WDW, but if you check the Transportation forum I'm sure you can find the info. If you return it at WDW, you can take ME for free from your WDW resort back to MCO.

Hope that helps.

when we did a land and see, we just di magic express and disney transfers. so much easier and less hassle then having a car.

Consider using Uber. You will have to do the work to check out their prices. Google them and go from there. Good luck with your trip.

~NM

Just looked into this. Looks like Uber is about $180/ way MCO to PC... WOWZA!!!

We've sucked it up and done the Disney transport. Cost ends up being more, but the hassle factor has been way less. With the rental car, you need to drop it off and take the shuttle to the port (and vice versa for the way back). Not to mention dealing with your own luggage. Good luck with whatever you choose!

We used Happy Limo but had some very bad experiences (drivers not showing up, not knowing how to get to WDW, putting phones with GPS directions on their laps and constantly looking down when driving) so we switched to Park Avenue Limo. They are far far more reliable and professional. You may want to give them a call?

I would still look for private transfers. Renting a car may be cheaper, but such a hassle. You really only need the private car to the port and to WDW. As long as you are staying onsite at WDW, your Magical Express transfer from WDW to MCO is free.

Planning a Land and Sea trip. (Well, Sea then Land because of the time of year and crowds). 5 day/ 4 night Cruise + 5 day/ 4 night at WDW. DH, DS (9):stitch:, DS (7) :darth: , DD (5):tink:.

I've looked into a ton of transportation options and everything seems outrageously expensive. Usually we use Happy Limo Service and have been very pleased with the service. They even provide car seats which one of my children still needs. The trip is usually around $250 - $300 to and from WDW. I like them bc then I don't need to worry about traffic/ directions/ toll/ insurance, etc. I would LOVE to use them again but because of the 3 transfers (MCO to PC, PC to WDW, WDW to MCO) the cost is getting pretty high.

Looked into renting a car, but that seems like it will still be about $300 for the 10 days and then I need to worry about insurance, car seat, parking at PC, etc.

ME does the $35/ pp, MCO to PC but that's $175 each way... mind as well rent the car...

I'm fine with spending the money if it's what we need to do. I just feel like there has got to be something I missing. Maybe there is another transportation company out there that could do the transfers for the same $300 ballpark?? Is it better to just rent the car and stay in a hotel close to the ship to take a transfer / uber over there? Usually, transportation doesn't confuse me this much, but with Land and Sea there seems to be a lot moving pieces!

If you have done something that's worked or I'm just missing an amazing deal on car rentals or something else equally as awesome, would you mind sharing it.

Thanks so much!!
:mickeyjum

Unfortunately, private transfers are going to be expensive if you do it for all transfers. When we were considering doing a cruise, we were going to do WDW a few nights before and after and I priced private transfers (we always use Tiffany Town Car for MCO/WDW transfers) every which way and I didn't find any way to lessen the cost. If it were me, I'd do the private transfers for the ease/convenience. With DCL transfers being $35/pp one way, I'd rather put that money toward a private town car or limo (but that's just me). Good luck!

I found a transport company that has a land and sea three way option that would cost around $300 for all three legs. It is Ace Luxury. I don't have any experience with them, but it was a convenient option that they provided for those doing what you are doing. Might be worth looking into.

We've sucked it up and done the Disney transport. Cost ends up being more, but the hassle factor has been way less. With the rental car, you need to drop it off and take the shuttle to the port (and vice versa for the way back). Not to mention dealing with your own luggage. Good luck with whatever you choose!
I didn't even think about the luggage! ugh!!

What do you do if you are coming in the night before?

Unfortunately, private transfers are going to be expensive if you do it for all transfers. When we were considering doing a cruise, we were going to do WDW a few nights before and after and I priced private transfers (we always use Tiffany Town Car for MCO/WDW transfers) every which way and I didn't find any way to lessen the cost. If it were me, I'd do the private transfers for the ease/convenience. With DCL transfers being $35/pp one way, I'd rather put that money toward a private town car or limo (but that's just me). Good luck!

Thanks! I think the private transfers may be the way to go. Renting a car seems to be insane at this point!!!

I found a transport company that has a land and sea three way option that would cost around $300 for all three legs. It is Ace Luxury. I don't have any experience with them, but it was a convenient option that they provided for those doing what you are doing. Might be worth looking into.
WOW!! REALLY?!?
Thanks, I'll look into that!!

I didn't even think about the luggage! ugh!!

What do you do if you are coming in the night before?
We usually stay at the Hyatt at the airport and take the Disney transport out to Port (again, they handle your luggage, just as they would if you were staying at a Disney property). Especially if we're flying in late at night.

We usually stay at the Hyatt at the airport and take the Disney transport out to Port (again, they handle your luggage, just as they would if you were staying at a Disney property). Especially if we're flying in late at night.

OMG... that's brilliant! I LOVE this board!

I know using Disney transfers is expensive, but it is so handy; I'd recommend it. Like a PP, we stayed at the Hyatt the night before our cruise, left our bags in the hotel room and didn't see them again until they arrived outside our stateroom on the ship. The convenience and ease was worth the price to us.

It somewhat depends on your family and whether having a car is necessary for you. We are doing a similar trip (7 nights sea/8 nights land) and are renting cars on both ends of the trip. A one-way (MCO-PC) rental through Costco for a premium SUV (Suburban) is only $135 including all taxes and fees. (As far as car seats go, we only have our youngest in a booster (base) so he just carries it on the plane with him and it goes under the seat in front of him...no renting a seat necessary. I don't know the size of your kids and whether you would be comfortable with that but it's a good option for us.) We like to stop at the grocery on our way to port and pick up a case of water bottles plus my wine. And my husband prefers to drive than be driven. It's a type-A thing... We've never had a problem with the shuttles from the rental car agency to the port.

For our return trip and rental for the week in Orlando (Sat-Sun, PC-MCO), we got a premium car for $350 all in. (We won't have the grandparents with us on the land part of the trip, hence the smaller vehicle rental!) For us it boils down to getting around on property when we want to. We are planning at least one water park and playing mini-golf a couple of times. Busing to these locations is miserable (IMO). Staying at a monorail resort offers us good transportation for MK and possibly Epcot but busing to AK is hubby's least favorite. Again...type-A. Plus the car gives us the option of again making a grocery run for water or breakfast items on our way to Orlando that week.

Finally, we like to control our departure time from our resort to the airport. We are not a "leave 4 hours before your flight" type of family so ME isn't our favorite on departure day.

So it really depends on how much flexibility you want and your personality. Good luck!

So here's what I have for quotes so far:
All quotes are MCO to PC, PC to WDW, WDW to MCO

Tiffany Town Car (no longer has stretch Limo Service) SUV RATE = $498 (gratuity included)

Ace Cars LIMO RATE = $600 (gratuity included) SUV RATE = $408 (gratuity included)

FL Tours LIMO RATE = $415 (gratuity NOT included) so more like $515

I'll report back if I get any more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter