Transplanting question

buckylarue

Can't decide who's Statler and who's Waldorf...
Well, it's finally starting to look/feel like spring here in Minnesota. Our yard has lilies and tulips well on the way to blooming and ferns just about ready to unfurl new fiddleheads. The problem is, they have all proliferated so much that they are taking up valuable real estate where we want to plant other flowers and veggies! I hate to just dig them up and kill them, so I was wondering; how soon can I transplant them to another part of the yard (or give some of them away)?

From my experience the lilies can be transplanted anytime, but if you do it before the bloom cycle is complete don't expect any flowers this year. The tulips really need to wait until the bloom cycle has completed...and the greenery has started to yellow. I am sorry but I have no experience with the ferns...I hope to learn about them this year.

Here at elevation 5000 in the Idaho mountians we have just started to get enough snow melt under the big pines for the daffy's to start poking up their heads. Out of desparation for flowers I went down to the valley and got primroses and pansies, and put them in pots outside the kitchen window...LOL.

Good luck on your gardening.
Stephanie in Idaho
Only 20 days till sunny Florida...and WDW
DH... :tigger: can't wait to see Tigger again!
ME... :eeyore: just happy to be going back again!

I've transplanted my ferns throughout the growing season and they all seem to take real well.

Great; that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Now I can start planning where everything is going!

Gosh , I live in Minnesota and the only thing peeping up out of the ground are the
Stella De'oro's Lilies and by peeping I mean , they are only about 2 inches high.
Everything else is smart enought to stay snug in the ground just alittle bit longer ,,
The trees do have buds showing though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter