Transitioning SD17 to College on a tight budget....

devotedchristian

DIS Veteran
SD17 will be entering her 1st choice 4-year University on August 11th. Her schools is almost 4 hours away.

I was hoping advice on this as I went to my local community college and DH never attended so neither of us know what to expect.

We are on a very tight budget this year and still have "back to school" stuff we have to purchase for DS7.

I've looked on the school's website at the "What to Bring" and "What Not to Bring List" but on the first list, I am trying to see if to see what she *really* needs.

The big items are a tv and a laptop. That's all I can think of. I'm thinking of taking her to Sears and start shopping now and then putting those items on layaway because I don't want to wait until the last minute and there are things she needs but we can't get it for her.

In addition to dorm accessories, we are adding a flex account to her "One Card" this card can be used anywhere on campus. DH thinks we should open her own VISA checking account that way she can spend her money OUTSIDE of the campus if need be.

Can anyone please share with me how you successfully transitioned your college child to school?

Can you share with me what you bought him/her? Your budget that you set?

How much spending money you allocated to them per month?

DH and I have advised SD that as soon as she gets settled in she will have to apply for work study or look for a part time job.

Thank you in advance!

Well....I helped in getting my stepchildren off to college and am a high school counselor so my information is bare minimal but....I will contribute what I can. First of all....the laptops now days are a must...no getting around it. The TV, however, is not. Most dorms have numerous lounges with TVs in them. Also, will she stay in the dorms? does she have a roomie already? Will that roomie be bringing a tv? Make certain to find out prior to purchase. If SD and roomie have discussed and the TV is on her list (frig on roomies list) then go for it but just make certain.

Will SD be on a meal plan? If so then your budget can be much smaller. If meal plan is included then you are really looking at how much does she need for toiletries, the occaisional going out $$ and how much does it cost for laundry and supplies? I never had a budget in college...my parents dropped that sort of stuff off to me (and I was close enough for that as were my stepkids when they went to school).

How often do you want her to come home and will that be done by picking up, bus, plane? Make certain that your budget includes that type of transporation (that you set aside yourselves...maybe not in her account). Does she have a car? Is she taking it with her? If so, then a parking plan and gas $$ have to be factored in.

Lots of students learn to make do with not getting hair done as often, nails etc. Or finding a student on campus who can do these things but, if not, you may want to budget a very limited amount for those types of things too.

Does she have a cellphone? Will that be a part of her budget or will it be covered on your plans? that can be another huge expense! My neighbor had to revise their plans because their daugther, last year, ran up the bill with texting friends both on campus and friends from high school that were not around. That was a huge shock to them when they first got that bill and unlimited texting was the way to go for them.

My big thing...with students who are coming from very limited backgrounds is: Laptop, toiletries, laundry supplies and $$, 2 sets of twin XL sheets, blanket, comforter and an idea of how they will get home for at least the holidays. Oh and a meal plan.

Good luck! It is quite a task to undertake! Help her to live within whatever confines work best for the family, though. I see a lot of kids who just run out of money. There are a lot of things that we think are necessities but they really are not.

I'm a non traditional college student with a HD and 2 kids, so I'm not your typical college student but I'll chime in. I agree that a laptop is a must. I would suggest a small netbook or somthing similar since she may be lugging it around with her to class. I have a Dell Mini 10, that I bought refurbished from the Dell outlet. They often have sales on them, just check the Dell website and sign up for their newsletter. Or check out any comparison site for information and reviews. Just don't forget the external disk drive for installing programs etc. Also a really big jump drive/USB drive is a must. That way she can work on projects on her computer, the computer lab, wherever she can find a computer.

To be honest, the biggest expenses about college life outside books, tuition etc are non school related. Having the "right" clothes, going out on Thursday night to dinner, movies, the clubs, parties and the associated food and drink costs. For on campus dining, our campus has a meal plan that's a decent value. I don't really have any great budgeting ideaa except make sure she's aware that the miscellaneous expenses can add up quickly and can make or break her budget.

I assume she is stating in the dorms on campus? If not, locally, many off site apartment complexes offer much more bang for your buck but are still within walking distance to the campus. Most are on the off campus shuttle route so you can take a bus if it's raining or cold. There are 1 or 2 bedroom apartments, no traditional types where you have a seperate bedroom and bath but share common areas with other tenants. I know she may have to stay on campus initially, but when she can move off campus, she can save alot of money.

The words "flex" and "One Card" make me wonder, is she perhaps going to UNC? If so and if you have any school specific questions, feel free to PM me. I am a senior there.

The most important items I had in my dorm were my mini fridge, microwave, and a three drawer storage unit for quick meals, snacks, etc. Also be sure to check with her roommate to figure who is bringing what big ticket items.

I recommend finding a comfortable folding chair if possible and a good lamp. They can be really great for reading in otherwise not so cozy dorm with harsh lighting.

You can also cut down on the typical "back to school" supplies since more than likely, she will be mainly using her laptop for notes. A couple of notebooks, folders, and a pack of pens is usually plenty.

Definitely skip any wall decorations because they usually on stay up for about five minutes.

And definitely don't forget the shower caddy and shower shoes! =)

Why does she need a TV? :confused3

I think it can be dispensed with on a tight budget.

I know that our local college has some sort of card where the kids on campus can charge things to their college account(at subway and cvs and other local stores). In your case I would highly recommend calling the college admissions (and if you get sent to student activities or residence life that might happen). There must be 100's of other mothers with the same questions- they might be able to email you something. Ask question like- if you were sending your child there what would they like to know. Sometimes colleges have a FB site or other central location for communications re transportation for breaks. I know my neice take a school bus from MA to LI...and the drop off is about 1/2 hour from her house. My neices all worked out what room mates brought what. But totally agree Laptop is needed.

I went to away to college a number of years ago (I won't say how many) on a very tight budget. With the exception of a laptop and printer (back then it was an electric typewriter) I can't imagine much as changed.

I would provide, at a minimum:

Two sets of extra long sheets, blanket, comforter and pillow(s)
Bucket or some type of shower caddy, and necessary toiletries.
Laptop and printer
Alarm clock
Some type of lighting (I would get a pole light)
Some type of under the bed storage (dorm rooms are typically small).
Laundry detergent & quarters

We had a tv, stereo system and mini-fridge in our room. I already had the stereo and provided the fridge and my roommate brough the tv. Honestly, we really didn't watch much tv in the room. Between classes, work, and other social activities there wasn't that much time to watch tv.

Obviously she'll need to bring her clothing, shoes, etc. I'd also make sure she has a nice bathrobe. Our bathrooms/showers in our dorm were way down the hall from my room.

We sent my cousin off to college last aug and one thing that helped her parents was she and her roommate were in touch prior to meeting at school. One brought the radio/cd player, the other the tv etc.

It saved some money and packing space.

Lara

Plus your SD has all summer to make money for spending money at college.

This. DD is going to college in the fall, and while I am paying for room, board and books, I refuse to pay for extras and incidentals. She will not starve on a college food plan, but there is no reason I should pay for her going out. That's why she currently has a job and is beating the bushes for babysitting work (pays better than retail and better schedule).

My DH already lined up a semi-permanent babysitting gig for her in the college town with an old high school friend, who is in seventh heaven that he will have a reliable babysitter. Everyone wins.

If she makes enough money, I hope DD will take over buying books so the money I have earmarked for that can go into her sister's college fund.

She can watch TV *on* the laptop. A long-corded surge-suppressor power strip is a must, though, as are several thumb drives. (Check OfficeMax for these; they often have great deals.)

Give her a basic toolkit and a small emergency sewing kit, plus a basic first aid/medicine box. (Tweezers, magnifier, antibiotic ointment, bandaids, cold medicine, ibuprofen, antihistamine cream and tablets, etc.)

She'll also need a large box of laundry detergent, and a box of cheap ziplocs to measure it out for the laundromat. (Otherwise buying small boxes of detergent will get very expensive.)

You've received some very good advice here and I would like add about the cost of books. You can save a bundle by renting them from http://www.chegg.com/ DD is a 3rd year college student and I only wish we had been renting from Chegg earlier! College text books are very expensive.

Please double check with your college about the size of their mattresses - several people have mentioned the XL sheets, but not ALL dorms have extra long mattresses - although they will work with a regular bed, it is a hassle and you might already have regular size sheets.

I agree with the TV - my DD didn't take one and didn't miss it - they watch DVD's on the laptop and most TV shows can viewed online.

A mini fridge is a must for my DD as well as a microwave and coffee pot. Check with the roommate, you don't need to 2 of these items.

Check with your DD on the laptop - while the mini might sound like a good idea to us as parents, my DD wanted nothing to do with the small size and the inconveniences of it not having a CD player. She doesn' take it with her to too many classes - it mainly stays in her dorm.

Most schools require incoming freshman to live on campus and have a meal plan. That should be adequate to feed her - she shouldn't need too much additional money for dining out - if she does than I would suggest she get a part time job to pay for those incidentials.

Good luck - my middle DD will be a Freshman this year - we started shopping for her supplies last summer already and have almost everything purchased - way easier on the budget that way!

Tammy

You've received some very good advice here and I would like add about the cost of books. You can save a bundle by renting them from http://www.chegg.com/ DD is a 3rd year college student and I only wish we had been renting from Chegg earlier! College text books are very expensive.

WONDERFUL suggestion - I am so glad we found Chegg - it has saved us a bundle, but be sure to compare the costs - we have found that some books can be purchased online or at the school store for around the same price as the rental and you have the book to sell back at the end of the semester!!

Tammy

Look for sales on tvs in July and August when college kids are getting ready to go back. She doesn't need to have a tv with all the bells and whistles. A plain, old regular tv will do her just fine and if she doesn't like it, she can get her job and save money for a better one-teaching her how to budget. A laptop isn't something you'll be able to get around-just look for one that is going to fulfill her needs for school at a decent price and shop around. You might be able to get one cheaper if you tell them you're shopping around for the best deal.

Don't forget about medical/health needs. Asprin, pepto, bandaids, neosporin, ect...

Perhaps go from room to room and write a list. Add one or two items to your weekly grocery list and come home and toss them in a college supplies container. And don't forget to shop for bandaids, ect... at the dollar stores. A bandaid is a bandaid, no matter what the name.

Food items-ramen, mac n chez cups, perishables only if she is going to rent a fridge for the year in her room, two sets of plastic washable silverwear-bowl-plate, dish soap(check the camping section for plastic wear that holds up well), and plastic glasses. She may bring in food from the cafeteria and need these items to eat with and they are washable and reusable!

Don't forget: towels, washrags, dish towels for washing dishes, robe, shower shoes, alarm clock, FLASHLIGHT because dorms get real dark when there's a power outage or you have a fire drill in the middle of the night, Clorox anti-bac wipes or cleaners because dorm rooms collect dirt and dust like nothing else.

School supplies(a few things you might not think about); stapler with staples, paper clips, plastic organizer drawers to keep everything contained and organized.

Try buying the stuff at home because in college towns, the items seem to be higher because they are neccessities.

Neither one of my kids has a tv. They watch all of their shows on Hulu on their computer's. No need for one.

Check with her roomate before you buy things. There is no room in most dorm rooms for two of anything. My kids both liked having a refrigerator. I see lots on craigslist, you can try to pick up one there.

I have one kid who wanted matching stuff but you don't need all that stuff. Sheets, a comfortable, and the stuff she probably has at home.

Did she receive work study as part of her financial aid? That is something you have to be awarded and if she did have her find a job right away. At many campuses there are not enough jobs to go around so that should be a priority. My D found that having 6 hour a week job was plenty money to have for spending money. She really does not spend a lot. Most campus activities are free. She had a meal plan and did not go out but once or twice a month. She did spend money on clothes. She was invited to date parties and she wanted something new to wear to those. Other than that, the only other thing she spent money on was the occasional food and toiletries and school supplies.

Oh my gosh, yes, yes, and yes on the medical kit! I was so thankful that my mom had thought to get all of that. Put the items in a little clear plastic container so that they will stay together.

If she is not taking a vehicle with her...call your car insurance company ...they may lower your premiums if she is a certain distance away from home and not using a car(she should still be covered when home for breaks). I know Geico does this..not sure about other companies.

I worked at a bank near Brown and RISD many years ago....too many of the students didn't realize that they could actually run out of money by spending it. A little banking and budgeting 101 before the chaos of move in weekend is better for everyone all around. Stolen debit/ATM cards were also a daily issue...usually the room mate...sometimes the boyfriend/girlfriend go over password safety, keeping track of wallet all of the time, not lending out debit cards. I'm not sure if a small document safe would be helpful since students would run the risk of forgetting their wallet in the safe on a regular basis....but could be helpful for storing passports, ipods, flash drives, password lists, account numbers in case a wallet is stolen and she needs to cancel cards. I also had a few students that thought drunken spending at bars shouldn't count and came in the next day to try to have charges reversed.

I agree about the TV not being necessary when you have a laptop....laptop is a need...the TV is a want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter