• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transfers from Hyatt MCO - luggage?

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
Leaving Saturday on the Fantasy. Have our luggage tags. Hyatt says to leave our bags in the room. Freaks me out a little. Has anyone EVER not gotten their luggage transferred from Hyatt? Yes I will bring medications, etc. BUT, I need my stuff! Should I be worried???

Leaving Saturday on the Fantasy. Have our luggage tags. Hyatt says to leave our bags in the room. Freaks me out a little. Has anyone EVER not gotten their luggage transferred from Hyatt? Yes I will bring medications, etc. BUT, I need my stuff! Should I be worried???
Well, we've only done the Hyatt once, and all went well. We were actually in the room when they came to pick up the bags, so we knew they were on their way.

On our last trip, we ran into a DCL CM that we had cruised with on our previous cruise. I'm not sure her official title, but basically she organizes a lot of the transportation/bus/baggage stuff for DCL transfers. Even though the transfers are run by Mears and Academy, it's DCL employees that have boots on the ground making sure everything runs smoothly at each of the resort, airport, and Hyatt pickups. Last time we ran into her, she was organizing the Hyatt pickups. We had a chance to chat with her and I mentioned some unease about our luggage not being picked up and she said not to worry at all. The told us that there are 3 different checks in place for making sure the luggage is picked up and not to worry.

That said, one thing we do it put AirTags in our bags and then we can see where they are. They do lag behind quite a bit, but at least that way if it were getting to be closer to all aboard, you could track them if you didn't have your bags yet and see where they were.

We’ve used the service three times in the past, with great success. Once, we were there when they picked the bags up. The other two times, they were gone once we got back from breakfast. At this point, the system has been in place for many years and we’ve never seen reports here of missing luggage from using it.

Thanks all! The man I checked in with at the Hyatt didn’t say “Oh, I see you are on the list for the Disney Cruise Line transport.” That would have made me feel better. At least I will be carrying on my bottle of wine . . Appreciate the detailed and comforting replies. Tomorrow is the big day!!

Thanks all! The man I checked in with at the Hyatt didn’t say “Oh, I see you are on the list for the Disney Cruise Line transport.” That would have made me feel better. At least I will be carrying on my bottle of wine . . Appreciate the detailed and comforting replies. Tomorrow is the big day!!
Do make sure you are on the list once you check-in at the hotel. Unless things have changed, they should hand you a personalized enveloppe with instructions. You need to have booked your reservation through DCL or informed DCL in advance that you booked the Hyatt independently.

A few years ago, you could simply request the service at check-in, but they changed it, probably to make sure DCL is aware that you are using the service and so they can double-check that your luggage is picked up.

I asked at the desk about a letter. She said they don’t do that anymore. Also checked to make sure I was on the Hyatts DCL list. She gave me a phone number in case of any questions or issues.

E686FB51-CDA9-49C9-B23C-58FA0E445E24.jpeg

A piece of advice: don't turn your key in before you checked in for your transfer...
I cruised the Fantasy last week and we stayed at Hyatt. Room/check in all was smooth and well (although I was a bit shocked about the amount of noise from the terminal we heard in the room as from 5am (fair enough my jetlag caused light sleep)

Upon check in we were told the desk would open at 8.15am even though the e-mail had said 8.45am. Suitcases had to be ready by 8am and had to be left near the door of the room.

We left the room by 7.55am, headed to the lobby. We were greeted by someone who asked the number of pieces of luggage left in the room and room number. I then made my biggest mistake and gave them also the roomkey...

Went around the corner to find a HUGE line that did not move at all... 55min later we were assigned the fourth bus and told to be in the lobby by 9.45 for a 10am departure. If we would have had the roomkey, we could have gone back to the room to chill, now we did another round of the terminalshops, like we had already done the night before.

When we got back they even hadn't boarded the third bus. I think it was around 10.45 by the time we were finally brought down to the bus ( a plain white bus) and it was after 11 5 I would say 11.10 by the time we left, so no use in having an 11am PAT if you are still at MCO.

The busdriver didn't make any anouncements about the estimated ridetime, did not have the usual Disney movie, did not do the 'at the end of the bridge you can see the ship spiel'.

Then we got at the terminal and where he was supposed to turn to the right for the busstops he was keeping a left. i sat in the front and told him I think you gotta go to the right. he told me 'I come here all the time' so I shut up. he then went in front of the terminal where a CM told him to stop to tell him he went the wrong way and should have.. turned right... He then had to do the whole tour again in ful traffic of ppl leaving the previous cruise.. to then nearly go the wrong way again. Second time the CM that told him earlier to stop, was waiting for us at the split to show the driver where to go. instead of being grateful the driver told him in a rude way 'I come here all the time and never go this way'

Anyways since I'm international I also had to stop at the check in desk so in the end it was close to 1am when we got onto the ship....

Recognize OP has already sailed, but for future reference, you CAN take your luggage down to the lobby yourself and hand it off to the luggage folks. I did this because I didn’t get my luggage tags in the mail before the cruise so had to get it from the DCL reps in the hotel lobby. Also as the pp mentioned you do need to get in line early if you want to be on the first bus. I was told 8:15 but I got there at 7:45am to beat the crowds as I had heard the line gets bad. I was third in line to check in after concierge, and was the last family to get on the first bus (this was the Wish so there were a lot of concierge). By the time I checked in the line was snaking all around the lobby, and when we returned for our bus at 9am, people were still waiting in line to check in. As convenient as the Hyatt is (especially if you have a late night arrival like we did) I will say the Disney World resort check in process for the DCL bus is much easier.

Is there a separate line for concierge check-in at the airport?
I don’t know about the airport but this thread is specifically about the Hyatt, and at the Hyatt, there was a single check in counter but they invited anyone sailing Concierge up to the counter to check in before they started processing the regular guests who had lined up ahead of time.

I don’t know about the airport but this thread is specifically about the Hyatt, and at the Hyatt, there was a single check in counter but they invited anyone sailing Concierge up to the counter to check in before they started processing the regular guests who had lined up ahead of time.
Did you only need to have one person in line to check-in? We have two rooms at the Hyatt and then on the cruise, but with an 8 month old I want to avoid a long wait in a line with him.

Did you only need to have one person in line to check-in? We have two rooms at the Hyatt and then on the cruise, but with an 8 month old I want to avoid a long wait in a line with him.

You can have one person wait, but everyone needs to be there when you check in (at least that was the way last month). The line was pretty long, we came down a little later and we were at the end of the line. We waited 45 minutes in line but the trade off was we only had to wait 5 minutes for our bus. People who were earlier in line had a short wait in the line, but then had to sit in the chairs in the lobby for 40 minutes waiting for the bus so…..

Several families had one adult wait and then the rest of the family came down when they were near the front.

I went alone bright and early and left DH and the kids in the hotel room. I checked in, got our bus tickets, and they told me when to come back for the bus. Then I went back up to the room and we watched tv until it was time to go down to the lobby for the bus. You do need your whole family there for the bus, obviously, but not for the initial check in.

I went alone bright and early and left DH and the kids in the hotel room. I checked in, got our bus tickets, and they told me when to come back for the bus. Then I went back up to the room and we watched tv until it was time to go down to the lobby for the bus. You do need your whole family there for the bus, obviously, but not for the initial check in.
Was this recently? I only ask because for our December Fantasy cruise when we first got to the lobby the person who directed us ask if we had our whole family (did tell us we could wait separately but would need everyone by checkin) and when people got to the front of the line if the whole party wasn’t there, they had them step to the side and let the next family go until the whole party arrived.

Maybe they were trying something new or maybe there was something special happening with our cruise that made them have everyone there?

Was this recently? I only ask because for our December Fantasy cruise when we first got to the lobby the person who directed us ask if we had our whole family (did tell us we could wait separately but would need everyone by checkin) and when people got to the front of the line if the whole party wasn’t there, they had them step to the side and let the next family go until the whole party arrived.

Maybe they were trying something new or maybe there was something special happening with our cruise that made them have everyone there?
This was two months ago, so yes it is recent. They did ask for us to all be in line together when they were getting people lined up to board the buses at 9am but not when the checkin began at at 8am. Since you say you boarded the bus 5 minutes after checking in, sounds like maybe those two steps were consolidated by that point and they were processing the check ins and the bus boarding at the same time.

Thanks - I did mean 'Airport Hyatt', was just trying to delineate checking on the airport side rather than on PC side :-)

This was two months ago, so yes it is recent. They did ask for us to all be in line together when they were getting people lined up to board the buses at 9am but not when the checkin began at at 8am. Since you say you boarded the bus 5 minutes after checking in, sounds like maybe those two steps were consolidated by that point and they were processing the check ins and the bus boarding at the same time.

Gotcha. It was interesting we were on the first bus so with people who had been waiting around for an hour all checked in and they didn’t do any check when they called our character to board and just took groups of us to the elevators. When we got off the elevator and to the bus, then they checked our names and passports again. There was someone in our elevator group who had gotten separated from their group using the bathroom (why they walked off and came with our group on the elevator??) and they couldn’t board the bus until everyone was there but that was in the parking lot.

I wonder if they’re trying to handle the checking of people at the first stage instead of the lining up stage since you get the bus check too?? Or maybe it’s just whatever the whims of the staff are that day haha, they did seem a little um militant in our check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter