• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transferrring points or adding on - questions

itutorfortravel

I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addi
Hi there, we just bought our DVC this spring and took our first trip last week. Now, we are already planning for future trips and think it would be fun for DD to have a friend come along...trouble is, that is now going to require more than just a studio, so more points! I see now how addontitis happens! Ha! ;)

We have a 150 point contract that came with about 170 extra points when we purchased, so after the trip we just took, we have enough to do a week in a 1 bedroom at AKL or BLT next summer if we borrow our 2015 points. We think that will work well because of the 2nd bath. But I hate depleting next year's points so I started thinking about transfers vs. add-ons.

How does it work if you transfer points into your membership? For instance, we are VWL owners with an Aug UY. Let's say we transfer 100 BLT 2015 points into our account and plan to travel in June 2015. If the BLT UY is earlier than our travel date, can we combine them with our VWL points to use towards a 1 bedroom at BLT in June? And do they even have to be BLT points? Can they be any points where the use year works?

The other option is to add on. I'm thinking a 75 - 100 point add on would be enough to do what we want to do most years. If we went this route, we would likely buy at BWV or BCV and then sell our VWL contract when DD is older and use the smaller contract to go on short trips (just DH and me) to WDW during food and wine.

What makes better sense? Biting the bullet and adding on? Or just transferring points into our account yearly while we need them?

Thanks!

Transferred points retain their home resort status and UY.

Transferred points can be banked but banked points can't be transferred.

11/7 month rules apply.

Per DVC rules you can't pay for or receive payment for transferring points.

:earsboy: Bill

If my home resort is SSR but I want the advantage of booking at BLT at the 11 month window, and I found someone willing to transfer me some of their BLT points, do I need to transfer enough BLT points for the entire stay or just for one night and then use the rest of my home resort points to book the rest of the stay at BLT at the 11month window? Thanks!

If my home resort is SSR but I want the advantage of booking at BLT at the 11 month window, and I found someone willing to transfer me some of their BLT points, do I need to transfer enough BLT points for the entire stay or just for one night and then use the rest of my home resort points to book the rest of the stay at BLT at the 11month window? Thanks!

You need enough BLT points for the entire reservation.

if you want to book BLT, you need BLT pts. there is no scenario where you can use non-home-resort pts to book another resort at 11 months out.

Can you permanently transfer points from one DVC site to another?
IE: OKW to BCV.

I don't understand your question, do you mean can you turn OKW points into BCV points instead of buying a BCV contract? If that is what you are asking the answer is no, you need to buy a contract at each resort that you want to own.

If you're talking change the home resort of the points the answer is no, you'd have to sell and rebuy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter