• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transferring into ride vehicles

Tiggerific04

DIS Veteran
I'll be going to Disney in August with my husband, best friend (she is a quadriplegic) and her aide. She has no mobility from the chest down and has decided to take her manual wheelchair.

I looked over the list of which rides and attractions are accessible, and I was wondering about the ones that say you have to transfer out of the wheelchair into the ride vehicle. How much time do they give you to do this?

I'm most interested in hearing experiences with Snow White, Haunted Mansion, and Spaceship Earth.

ETA: I'd also love to hear from anyone who has transferred for Soarin.

Thank you!!

I'll be going to Disney in August with my husband, best friend (she is a quadriplegic) and her aide. She has no mobility from the chest down and has decided to take her manual wheelchair.

I looked over the list of which rides and attractions are accessible, and I was wondering about the ones that say you have to transfer out of the wheelchair into the ride vehicle. How much time do they give you to do this?

I'm most interested in hearing experiences with Snow White, Haunted Mansion, and Spaceship Earth.

Thank you!!

My husband also has no use of his legs and he was able to transfer to Soarin and Haunted Mansion. He attempted Spaceship Earth but was not able to transfer.

With Soarin and Haunted Mansion he was able to pull his chair up right next to the seat and scoot across. He was also in an electric chair that raises and lowers, so I'm sure that helped.

I know you didn't ask but he was also able to transfer to Expedition Everest. :thumbsup2

I second what Biscuitsmom said. I can transfer standing or do it sitting depending on the type of ride. Soarin might be a bit of challenge because the seats are pretty high compaired to a manual chair. However, they give you all the time you'll need. The ride wont get started untill she's in her seat and strapped in. Don't feel rushed, the CM's are great overthere.

I can't help you with the other rides you mentioned, didn't do them yet, sorry. Most rides are great for transferring when it comes to the time it takes. They'll wait untill you're done. Now, there are some rides that keep going and don't stop. There she'ld have only a certain amount of time. In that case I'ld recommend her getting the accessible vehicle where possible. (for instance Nemo at the Seapavillion, the Buzz Lightyear ride etc.) She'll just drive the chair in the car, they'll lock the car and that's that. Added bonus; it saves her energy.

POTC can be a hassle. The boats are quite low compaired to the loadingstation. She'll have to go down to get in and up to get out. In isn't the hardest (you can allways just drop yourself :scared1: ), but out s a totally other question. She'll probably need somebody to help her, or push herself up, first sitting with her bum on the platform (start out with bum on top of backrest, makes transfer lighter in my experience) and than transferring into the chair. From boat right into chair is a prettyy big height difference, and I would definately not be able to do that.

I found most rides that required me to transfer to be very transfer-friendly. The CM's are ued to it and will do just about anything to help. I travelled alone and they really went above and beyond, incl. getting me on POTC (I use a powerchair, so had to transfer to a manual and can't get that one through the line myself), giving me front of the row and a boat for just me and that CM. He and the CM at the loadingplatform even helped me getting in and out the boat in a way that makes me pretty darned sure they 'aren't allowed' to.

I hardly run into any problems (except me not reading my map before thing 'OEHhhhhhh Captain Jack, go on POTC' and not realising yet it was a transfer-before-waitline-ride) and I travelled alone. Especially since she's got an extra set of hands, she should be OK with most rides.

Have fun!

Let's wait for Bill Sears to chime in here. He has experienced all.

I know that they cannot stop Peter Pan, but any other attraction can be stopped if necessary to allow a person additional time for entry and/or exit.

Let's wait for Bill Sears to chime in here. He has experienced all.

:lmao: Thanks. :)

I'll just add a few things. Personally I find the last row of POTC easier to get into and out of. The opening to board is wider there and I can bring my chair right up to the boat. Also the left hand line is the one that gets you to the wider opening, I'm not sure if there is a wider opening on the right hand lane.

Picture234.jpg

I've never tried Snow White. :guilty: It's one of those rides I really should try at least once but amazingly enough I've never gotten around to it.

Soarin and the Haunted Mansion are fairly easy transfers. I'd put them at about the same difficulty as transferring in and out of a car.

Spaceship Earth is a real pain in the butt. The problem I have is that the door opening is too narrow to make an easy transfer. You have to twist and turn and almost lift yourself up over the side of the car to get in. It's possible for me to do it but I really have a hard time doing it and often I'll skip the ride instead of wearing myself out.

Expedition Everest is probably the easiest ride to transfer in and out of. In every set of trains the last car has a swing open side and it makes it very easy to transfer over. Disney really got the accessibility for this ride right. :thumbsup2

Picture184.jpg

BTW as a reference I'm a 49 year old paraplegic who has been wheeling around for 30 years. I have full use of my arms but I have no feeling or movement from the bottom of my ribcage down.

Thank you all so much!

I guess I should clarify that she cannot transfer herself. It will be the three of us transferring her, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in how easy/difficult it will be. She's 28 years old, 5'7", and is average weight (she and I are the same size). My husband and I have transferred her in and out of our cars (a Civic and a Corolla) numerous times, so we've got that down. She has a sliding board, but I'm not if that would even help in this situation.

I'm guessing anything that isn't even with her manual chair is out because she is dead weight and we would have to physically lift her either up or down. Her manual chair is pretty high and is actually even height with her power chair if that gives you a better idea of what we're working with.

You should rule out any ride like big thunder mountain because her lack of upper body strength. I find that even log rides like Splash Mountain can send a person hurling forward on the drops and if you are not paying attention or have little upper body strenghth, ouch.

I don't have ride access info to add but I would reconsider bringing her manual chair if she usually uses a power chair.
Disney parks are not flat ground. Hills prevail and her aide is going to be exhausted. Having pushed my grandmother for hours on end (at WDW) I can honestly say that August heat and wheelchair pushing are a combination best avoided.
By the second day we were all sad that we did not have an electric chair, and since she had no experience with one she would not rent (I think she was scared of running over people!)
She will have to transfer sometimes to a manual chair for the ride lines but that should be easier than being pushed every minute of the day.
Since I don't know the set up of her power chair I am not sure if this applies to your situation, but I had to chime in because If we had known we would have rented a practice scooter at home then had grammy rent one at WDW...memories don't fade...this was 15 years ago and I can still feel the pain of that week (and I love her will ALL my heart!)

Have a great trip!

If you haven't looked at it yet, there is a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (in post #3) to eternaldisneyfan's trip report with a power wheelchair (and a ventilator).
Some of the attractions that a manual wheelchair will fit on won't be able to do a power wheelchair because of how much clearance there is at the bottom of the power wheelchair and/or how long it is.
So, she would probably be able to do more with the manual wheelchair. She will give up independence with the manual, but if she's OK with that, it's a good trade off. My DD uses her power wheelchair whenever she's out of the house, but she doesn't use it at WDW. We are concerned about possible damage transporting it by plane and we are also concerned about her ability to concentrate on driving safely in such a busy and stimulating environment.
Knowing some of the possible pluses and minuses will help your friend make her decision.
How much time do they give you to do this?
As other posters mentioned, many of the attractions stop for everyone to board and don't start up until the CM can tell that all guests are safely seated.
The ones with moving walkways can be slowed down or stopped -with the exception of Peter Pan and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.
The CMs will usually slow them for guests with wheelchairs. If your friend needs a full stop, she should tell the CM. There is more information on the disABILITIES FAQs thread, a link to boarding information in post #3.

Also, something I have found helpful - don't be shy about letting the CM know you would like to watch the ride process a little while before you try getting her in. For some attractions, your 'planning process will be pretty straightforward. For others, it may be helpful to watch for a while.
As you watch, also think about getting off. For the moving walkway rides, you will be getting on and off at the usual exit. Many of the ride cars will only hold 2 people, so think about who would be best riding with her. Also, whether it would be better for the 'helpers' to be in the car ahead of her so they will get off before she does. For some attractions, it doesn't matter, but in others, the people in the car behind won't be able to get off until their ride car gets to a certain point, so if they are behind her, they won't be able to help.
I'd also suggest 'pacing' yourself, by planning to alternate attractions where you will need to transfer her and ones where she can stay in the wheelchair. We find that transferring our DD tires us out and her too, so we need to plan our day to accomodate that.
Also, the attractions at MK are very short (some as short as 90 seconds), so it's just too hard for us to transfer our DD in and then out again 90 seconds later. We have not been on Snow White with her in a long time because of that.
She is just over 5 feet tall and weighs less than 90 pounds.
Thank you all so much!

I guess I should clarify that she cannot transfer herself. It will be the three of us transferring her, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in how easy/difficult it will be. She's 28 years old, 5'7", and is average weight (she and I are the same size). My husband and I have transferred her in and out of our cars (a Civic and a Corolla) numerous times, so we've got that down. She has a sliding board, but I'm not if that would even help in this situation.

I'm guessing anything that isn't even with her manual chair is out because she is dead weight and we would have to physically lift her either up or down. Her manual chair is pretty high and is actually even height with her power chair if that gives you a better idea of what we're working with.
A little more information about your friend would be helpful:
- Is she a spastic quad (tight, stiff and difficult to bend) or hypotonic (think of a rag doll?). Some of the things that might not be that hard with someone hypotonic are much more difficult with someone who has spasticity.
- Does she have any arm/shoulder function that can help her to hang on when being lifted, or is she totally dead weight?
- Does she have spasms or any other movements? If so, do they happen unexpectedly or are there things that seem to cause them?
- Is she stable to sit in a seat where the seatback only comes to the middle of her back?
- Is she stable for a seat that is shallow and made of shiny plastic?
- Is a particular time of day better for her - if so, plan rides where she'll need to transfer for the 'better' time.
- And about her wheelchair, does it have swingaway armrests?
- Does she have things that will need to be loosened or removed before she can get out (like my DD has straps that hold her feet down into the footrests)

Thank you!!
For some attractions (like Mission Space, Haunted Mansion, Soarin) the seat of the ride car is not that much different height than a car seat. But, you may not have much space to make the transfer.
Here's a picture of the ride car for Haunted Mansion. The CMs can stop the moving walkway for you and the wheelchair can be parked where ever it would be most helpful to you for making the transfer. After she is in, the CM will move the wheelchair off the moving walkway.
2590PA040149-med.JPG

Some (like Pirates) are very much lower.
For Pirates, I'd suggest you ride Small World first. SW has a special car that
a wheelchair can roll right onto. Pirates doesn't, but the step down (and back up) to get into Pirates is similar to the regular seats on the SW boat. So, riding SW will give you some insight into what you need to do to get on and off of Pirates.
Here's a picture of the SW wheelchair boat:
2590PA040083-med.JPG

The boat ride in Mexico has a similar wheelchair boat and Living with the Land in Epcot also has a wheelchair boat.
Maestrom in Norway has a boat that is similar to Pirates. Personally, I think it is harder to transfer someone off because there is little room.

I don't have any pictures of the ride car for Snow White, but allearsnet.com has one in their ride car gallery:
mk_snow6.jpg

Here's a photo of Spaceship Earth. The pictures that show the ride cars were taken before the recent renovation, but I've been told they used the same cars; just added some video screens to them. I agree with the description that Bill gave. Because the doors don't open very far, it's much harder to get someone in than it might look.
Spaceshiip_Earth_Ride_00a.jpg

Soarin is about the best ride, at least for us. Here's a link to a page about Soarin' with pictures. You can park the wheelchair where ever it's best for transfer, the seat is at about chair height and it's stable for getting in. The ride car leans backward slightly during the ride, so it is quite supportive and secure. There is a small belt that goes between the legs for small children, but it also works for adults and we use it for extra security for DD.

I found most rides that required me to transfer to be very transfer-friendly. The CM's are ued to it and will do just about anything to help. I travelled alone and they really went above and beyond, incl. getting me on POTC (I use a powerchair, so had to transfer to a manual and can't get that one through the line myself), giving me front of the row and a boat for just me and that CM. He and the CM at the loadingplatform even helped me getting in and out the boat in a way that makes me pretty darned sure they 'aren't allowed' to.

Just wanted to point out that this is the first time I've heard that a CM was allowed to assist in a transfer - I thought that wasn't WDW policy? I'm happy they helped, but what if something had gone wrong?

Just wanted to point out that this is the first time I've heard that a CM was allowed to assist in a transfer - I thought that wasn't WDW policy? I'm happy they helped, but what if something had gone wrong?

It isn't policy. Don't ask me how I did it, but somehow I overlooked the transfer pic on the map and didn't remember (did look at the map the night before and was dissapointed about this, but didn't remember??). The CM explained and I was about to drive away, as I can understand why there is such a policy, but than the helping began.

I remember others have posted about this, it looks like they sometimes do it as an extra if time and personel allows it, but of course it is hardly a standard nor policy.

If something had gone wrong? Well, I went along with it so I take it as my responsbility to make sure things are OK for me and take the consequences of that. But I can see your point, not everybody will look at it that way.

We are told very explicitly that the only direct assistance we are permitted to give is holding a wheelchair so it does not move and then removing the wheelchair from the ride vehicle, or bring the wheelchair to a ride vehicle.

If something had gone wrong the CM would more than likely have been fired. And that could also happen even if something did not go wrong.

CMs have posted that it is a policy for them not to help with transfers, other than holding onto the wheelchair, moving wheelchairs/ECVs out of the way and possibly offering a helping/steadying hand on rides where someone needs that.
For example, getting in and out of the free-floating boats on the Jungle Cruise.
I have also seen once or twice, CMs help with 2 hands pulling if a guest can't get out of a low ride like Pirates. That's possibly more than they are actually allowed to do, but it would be an "either the CM does it, or the guest can't get out of the boat" unusual situation.
And, also would be a safety concern at that point - if the CM doesn't help, the guest (who is already trying to get out) will fall.

The WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities is pretty clear about it:
"Certain attractions require Guests to transfer from their wheelchairs to ride a system either by themselves or with the assistance of a member of their party. Walt Disney World® Resort hosts and hostesses are not permitted to physically assist Guests in transferring from their wheelchairs."

EDITED TO ADD: I see that Cheshire Figment and I were typing at the same time. :)

The CM, if they wish, can offer a guiding hand or arm to help a guest into and out of a ride vehicle. It has always been that way. At DLR the CM held my arm to steady me as I got into the Canal boats for example. CMs are allowed to hold onto a chair when a guest gets into or out of a wheelchair. On rides they can steady the vehicle for you also. The prohibition is on the actually lifting or other wise moving the guests.

We thought Snow White was a bit of a pain to get into, especially because the ride is very short. DD (16) was bored and didn't think it was worth it. Also, we have a bad time with POTC as well. Haunted Mansion was fine.

Mary

I don't have ride access info to add but I would reconsider bringing her manual chair if she usually uses a power chair.

I completely agree, but she is stubborn and doesn't want to use her powerchair. Part of it is the fact that she doesn't trust the airline not to damage it, and the other part is that she is extremely self-conscious. She was injured only 3 years ago when she was 24, so she's still adjusting to going out in public in a chair. I'm hoping that between the 3 of us, we can take turns pushing (and lots of breaks!).

A little more information about your friend would be helpful:
- Is she a spastic quad (tight, stiff and difficult to bend) or hypotonic (think of a rag doll?). Some of the things that might not be that hard with someone hypotonic are much more difficult with someone who has spasticity.
- Does she have any arm/shoulder function that can help her to hang on when being lifted, or is she totally dead weight?
- Does she have spasms or any other movements? If so, do they happen unexpectedly or are there things that seem to cause them?
- Is she stable to sit in a seat where the seatback only comes to the middle of her back?
- Is she stable for a seat that is shallow and made of shiny plastic?
- Is a particular time of day better for her - if so, plan rides where she'll need to transfer for the 'better' time.
- And about her wheelchair, does it have swingaway armrests?
- Does she have things that will need to be loosened or removed before she can get out (like my DD has straps that hold her feet down into the footrests)

Thank you for the tips about watching the ride first and formulating a plan. Although we've been there numerous times, I've never paid that much attention to things like this because I didn't have to. I wouldn't have ever thought to ask if we could watch first!

To answer your questions:

1. She is definitely spastic. She has frequent spasms in her legs and her back, especially when her legs are touched or moved. We've done ok dealing with this when doing normal car transfers, or when trasferring from power- to manual chairs, or in an out of bed, but it might be an issue in this case since we'll be working in limited and unfamiliar space.

2. She has very little bicep function and no tricep function at all. She will sometimes fall to the side in her chair and she can sort of swing her arm to hook onto something on the side to pull herself back upright, but that's about as much as she can do. She has no trunk control at all and has lateral supports on her powerchair. For her manual chair, she does not have laterals, but she does have these bookbag-like straps that keep her upright. Her armrests are completely removable on her manual chair. Her footrests are removable also, and they would need to be removed before we could transfer her.

3. She would be stable enough to sit in seats with low backs or seats that are shiny and somewhat slippery if she had support on either side of her.

We thought Snow White was a bit of a pain to get into, especially because the ride is very short. DD (16) was bored and didn't think it was worth it. Also, we have a bad time with POTC as well. Haunted Mansion was fine.

Mary

Thank you, Mary. I see what you mean about the shorter rides not being worth it. I'm thinking that anything that is short or requires a transfer down into a boat is not going to work, unless it's something she absolutely wants to go on. In that case, then we'll see what we can do.

Thank you again to everyone for all of your help and suggestions. This is her first major vacation since her accident and although she is excited, I know she's anxious about it, too. I want to try and make it as stress-free and fun for her as possible. I figure the more information we have in advance, the better we can plan how to handle certain situations.

I'm relieved to hear that Soarin is probably doable. She's never been on it and I know she would love it. I was concerned about stability, but it sounds like the child-strap between her legs would work out well.

Since she regularly uses a power chair, you might want to contact Care or Colonial and ask about renting a PC. You would have to be able to let them know the make and model that she currently uses, and they would need a list of the settings on her chair which would be available from her servicing company.

That way there would be no risk to her chair for airline damage and she would have the freedom she is used to.

I agree with what has been said about these rides. IMHO, Snow White was the worst ride I tried to get on. I used a wheelchair up to the car, but then had to get into the car. I am able to walk some, but my muscles lock up, and they rushed me the whole time and managed to leave part of my party out of the car. :sad2: It wasnt even a busy time of year... :confused3 It wasn't one of my best experiences on the last several trips. I only do it once per trip and because of my 5 year old. The things you do for your kids. :) POTC was the next hardest ride, but it was doable. I love the tip on the back seat!

I learned not to ride dinosaur at animal kingdom because I cant hold myself and I get hurt with all the bouncing it does. So if she can't hold on very well, it might not be the greatest ride. I avoid it now. Has anyone had a better experience with dinosaur?

Soarin wasn't bad either. They allowed me to pull into the room and transfer into a seat right next to me. That was so awesome. It saved alot of effort for my family and I trying to get situated for the ride. :thumbsup2 I love this ride!

I use an offsite rental ecv so my family doesnt have to try to push me in a wheelchair. We did that and it was awful and I felt trapped because I had to wait on them to help me move from place to place. I really hope she rethinks the power chair, it will make it so much easier on her and you. Have you thought about renting a power chair from a medical store to be delivered to your resort? That way hers doesnt get damaged. Ha, I see cheshire answered that one!

I completely agree, but she is stubborn and doesn't want to use her powerchair. Part of it is the fact that she doesn't trust the airline not to damage it, and the other part is that she is extremely self-conscious. She was injured only 3 years ago when she was 24, so she's still adjusting to going out in public in a chair. I'm hoping that between the 3 of us, we can take turns pushing (and lots of breaks!).

I cried the whole ride when I was on buzz lightyear with my child because it was the first time I had to admit in public that my body didnt work right anymore. They had to stop the ride for me to get on and I was mortified. But it got easier and I met several sweet CM's that went out of their way and made me feel better and now it doesnt bother me as much. Using an ecv or wheelchair is the only way I can go with my family, so it's the way I go. I pray that you have a wonderful time and make plenty of memories. :hug: And I hope it's so much fun she wants to go back!

The power wheelchairs for rent from places like Care or Colonial are often the 'plain vanilla' wheelchairs with office chair type seats and a regular stick joystick, not the custom Rehab type wheelchairs that someone who is a quad would have.
When we looked into renting a power wheelchair from Care a few years ago, they would not have been able to accomodate DD's specialized seating system, ankle straps or her 'goalpost' joystick. Some of the problem was that DD's wheelchair is an unusual size - with a seat as narrow as a child's chair, but as long as an adult's chair. Some of it was that the chairs they had available were just not very adaptable. They would have been able to add a seatbelt, but not footstraps, which she also needs. Not all full service medical places do very much custom Rehab wheelchair business.

So, if she does decide to try renting one, keep in mind they may not have what she needs. If she has a totally custom seat and back (totally made just for her), she is probably out of luck. If she has something like a Jay seat and back, she may have to bring her own, but they may be able to mount it on a rental chair for her. Also, if she has a more 'exotic' drive system like a head array, she will probably not be able to rent one, but if she has a special joystick, they may be able to mount it if she brings her own.

Before calling, know the brand name and model of the wheelchair and the seating system, plus the type of drive system she uses.

The power wheelchairs for rent from places like Care or Colonial are often the 'plain vanilla' wheelchairs with office chair type seats and a regular stick joystick, not the custom Rehab type wheelchairs that someone who is a quad would have.
When we looked into renting a power wheelchair from Care a few years ago, they would not have been able to accomodate DD's specialized seating system, ankle straps or her 'goalpost' joystick. Some of the problem was that DD's wheelchair is an unusual size - with a seat as narrow as a child's chair, but as long as an adult's chair. Some of it was that the chairs they had available were just not very adaptable. They would have been able to add a seatbelt, but not footstraps, which she also needs. Not all full service medical places do very much custom Rehab wheelchair business.

So, if she does decide to try renting one, keep in mind they may not have what she needs. If she has a totally custom seat and back (totally made just for her), she is probably out of luck. If she has something like a Jay seat and back, she may have to bring her own, but they may be able to mount it on a rental chair for her. Also, if she has a more 'exotic' drive system like a head array, she will probably not be able to rent one, but if she has a special joystick, they may be able to mount it if she brings her own.

Before calling, know the brand name and model of the wheelchair and the seating system, plus the type of drive system she uses.

I doubt she'll want to, but I'll pass on the info to her anyway just in case. She has a custom built back on her chair, along with power footrests and a head array. She doesn't really use the head array for anything other than tilting and controlling the footrests. She has a T-bar joystick for actually driving the chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter