Transferring info/data from old I-Phone to new I-Phone?

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
So, I think I have decided on a Verizon "plan."

My question is, if I have an existing Verizon I-Phone 5s and now buy an I-Phone SE from Verizon, is it difficult/easy/moderately tough to put all information from old phone onto new phone and get the new phone recognized by Verizon.

Verizon Dealer wants to charge $35 per phone to do that -- he did not call it an activation fee, though.

I want to really know what I am talking about before I go back to face him (at the moment, I feel like the lamb meeting the lion).

It's extremely simple and you have a couple of choices.

1) Backup data to your icloud account on old phone and then restore new phone from the icloud backup and all backed up date is transferred to the new phone
2) Backup phone to your iTunes account on a PC or laptop and then restore backup to the new phone.

I was able to talk my 70 year old mother thru it over the phone so it's very easy.

The below options are very easy to do on your own. If you still have problems I would go to a Verizon store rather than a dealer. I would t think they would charge you for it.

It's extremely simple and you have a couple of choices.

1) Backup data to your icloud account on old phone and then restore new phone from the icloud backup and all backed up date is transferred to the new phone
2) Backup phone to your iTunes account on a PC or laptop and then restore backup to the new phone.

I was able to talk my 70 year old mother thru it over the phone so it's very easy.

Always, always, always go to an actual Verizon store and not an "Authorized Verizon dealer" - they can't do nearly as many things, will charge you for things that the actual Verizon store will do for free, and are far, far less helpful.

So, I think I have decided on a Verizon "plan."

My question is, if I have an existing Verizon I-Phone 5s and now buy an I-Phone SE from Verizon, is it difficult/easy/moderately tough to put all information from old phone onto new phone and get the new phone recognized by Verizon.

Verizon Dealer wants to charge $35 per phone to do that -- he did not call it an activation fee, though.

I want to really know what I am talking about before I go back to face him (at the moment, I feel like the lamb meeting the lion).

How does your current phone back up? Do you plug it into a computer or are you using iCloud? If you aren't sure you could go into settings on your current phone, then scroll down to iCloud and look next to 'backup'. If it says on you can click on it and it will tell you when the last time it backed up was. When you get your new phone one of the first steps will ask if you want to restore or set it up as a new phone. Choose restore and tell it iCloud or Computer depending on which you use.

Ask if you will be charged an activation fee - it may have nothing to do with how much they do to transfer stuff from okd phone to new phone.

I would not trust my phone back up to the store. An Apple Store maybe, but I know too many people who were assured their content was transferred, they get home and they're missing all sorts of stuff.

It's very easy to do through iTunes or iCloud. Just keep in mind that right now your iCloud is probably set up to back up the bare minimum on your phone, contacts, calendars etc. Don't go with your last back up, make a new one and make sure it copying ALL your content, music, photos etc. To be honest I've never had the patience to do a full iCloud back up, it takes forever. I much prefer to use iTunes.

Like iCloud do not trust your last back up. Do a fresh back up to your computer and make sure all the little boxes are checked. Then when you get your new phone plug it in to your iTunes and choose, "restore from back up." Make sure you choose the latest one.

Here's how to do both:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

It's easy to back up your phone in the cloud as others have said. BEFORE you leave the store with your new phone, make sure that all of your current apps appear on your new phone. When I switched iPhones last time, it took two times to successfully transfer everything to the new phone. Otherwise, it worked just fine!

Like others have said, it's super easy to do yourself. I just upgraded my phone a couple of weeks ago - the whole thing took less then 30 minutes to get set up. FYI - I originally went in to the Verizon store (we have a huge one in our mall) and was told that they no longer do the transfer for you in store. If you buy an iPhone there they send you home to set it up yourself. The Apple store WILL do the transfer for you, but this time of year it's probably not worth the trip to the mall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter