Transfer placeholder back to Disney after 30 days?

2ndtimecruiser

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to see if anyone else has been successful in getting a travel agent to return a placeholder reservation back to Disney (one that in my opinion, was only mistakenly sent to them in the first place). I had no interaction with the agency that holds my placeholder reservation. In fact, until I called Disney this evening to take advantage of the placeholder I had no idea that it was even tagged to a travel agency. The problem is I'm WELL past 30-days of booking (did it on disembarkation day at a cruise last November) so I don't know if it can transfer back. Does anyone have experience with this? Or perhaps know what the agent's commission/cut might be in case I can buy them out? I really don't want to deal with them and would willing to lose any on board credit and even cut my discount rate just to have them go away and let me book with DCL direct.

Background: Last year, my employer asked me to cover a client's request for a speaker/facilitator during their retreat onboard a 3-day Disney cruise. The client was covering the cost of my room, but offered to let me bring my husband and son (so I could see them in the evening) if I paid the surcharge. It was about $1.5k, and I wrote a check directly to the client, not the corporate cruise travel agency that handled reservations. So I've had no interaction with them at all, and never knew they existed until I tried to book ground transportation and now again when I'm trying to use the placeholder credit.

On the morning of disembarkation, my husband went to the onboard travel agency to submit a placeholder deposit. He didn't get a receipt or copy of what he filled out; I think he just dropped a form in a box? Anyway, I called Disney this evening and they were able to track down the reservation number but then told me it was flagged to a travel agent I've never interacted with. (I had to ask who it was because I had no idea.) I don't know how it was tagged to them, and I received no notification or contact at all that they had it. (Is that normal?)

I just emailed them and left a voicemail asking to transfer it back to DCL, but I am trying to book a late January cruise so am worried about how long this will take, and if they'll do it at all. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm trying to see if anyone else has been successful in getting a travel agent to return a placeholder reservation back to Disney (one that in my opinion, was only mistakenly sent to them in the first place). I had no interaction with the agency that holds my placeholder reservation. In fact, until I called Disney this evening to take advantage of the placeholder I had no idea that it was even tagged to a travel agency. The problem is I'm WELL past 30-days of booking (did it on disembarkation day at a cruise last November) so I don't know if it can transfer back. Does anyone have experience with this? Or perhaps know what the agent's commission/cut might be in case I can buy them out? I really don't want to deal with them and would willing to lose any on board credit and even cut my discount rate just to have them go away and let me book with DCL direct.

Background: Last year, my employer asked me to cover a client's request for a speaker/facilitator during their retreat onboard a 3-day Disney cruise. The client was covering the cost of my room, but offered to let me bring my husband and son (so I could see them in the evening) if I paid the surcharge. It was about $1.5k, and I wrote a check directly to the client, not the corporate cruise travel agency that handled reservations. So I've had no interaction with them at all, and never knew they existed until I tried to book ground transportation and now again when I'm trying to use the placeholder credit.

On the morning of disembarkation, my husband went to the onboard travel agency to submit a placeholder deposit. He didn't get a receipt or copy of what he filled out; I think he just dropped a form in a box? Anyway, I called Disney this evening and they were able to track down the reservation number but then told me it was flagged to a travel agent I've never interacted with. (I had to ask who it was because I had no idea.) I don't know how it was tagged to them, and I received no notification or contact at all that they had it. (Is that normal?)

I just emailed them and left a voicemail asking to transfer it back to DCL, but I am trying to book a late January cruise so am worried about how long this will take, and if they'll do it at all. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance for any advice.
When you do an onboard booking (actual reservation or placeholder) there's a place on the reservation form to indicate a travel agent. If the current cruise you're on while making the onboard booking was booked via a TA, that TA will be indicated on the new booking form. Unless you tell them you don't want a TA on there.

To remove a TA from a reservation, the TA must release the reservation. Be aware that some TAs will charge a fee for this.

Since you were aware a TA was "handling" the past reservation (as you noted you were aware of it when you booked ground transportation), I'm not sure you can get by with "I didn't know.....". But you can call DCL, ask to speak to a supervisor and see what your options are (if any).

I really don't want to deal with them and would willing to lose any on board credit and even cut my discount rate just to have them go away and let me book with DCL direct.

If you are outside of your PIF, or haven't used your placeholder yet to book an actual cruise, and you don't care if you pay more and lose your on board credit, you can always cancel that reservation and book another direct with Disney. You will however pay the prevailing rate for the cruise, which could be significantly more, but it is an option!

Aby

What's the problem with keeping the TA? All they need to do is book it for you and you can do everything else.

What's the problem with keeping the TA? All they need to do is book it for you and you can do everything else.

I agree here. What is the issue with just letting the agent hold and book for you? I always use an agent. Not only do they update all my travel information to DCL, party contact and ID information, plus I always get additional OBC - 4 - 850 dollars each cruise so far.

Once the cruise is booked, only think you'll have to deal with the agent about is making the payments (unless you need to change the sailing or cabin choice). Probably easier to do this than the hastle of taking the agent off the place holder.

Last edited:
Once the cruise is booked, only think you'll have to deal with the agent about is making the payments (unless you need to change the sailing or cabin choice). Probably easier to do this than the hastle of taking the agent off the place holder.
I'll just add, it's not always a hassle to ask a TA to release a booking. OP, it couldn't hurt to give the TA (who you've never had dealings with) a call and ask what the process would be to take them off the reservation. I think, if you ask/explain why you don't (didn't) want a TA on the reservation and ask nicely, they may just say "OK".

Last edited:

Your placeholder can be released from the agency at any time before it is paid in full. You are not limited to the same 30 day limitation for transferring a reservation. The agency must initiate the release, so you will need to speak with them.

I’ve gotten a cruise back from Costco. Like others have said they send you a form you fill it out and email it to Disney.

I’ve gotten a cruise back from Costco. Like others have said they send you a form you fill it out and email it to Disney.
That would be to transfer a reservation that you've made directly to Costco.

OP is asking about removing a TA that's already on the reservation.

That would be to transfer a reservation that you've made directly to Costco.

OP is asking about removing a TA that's already on the reservation.
I didn’t say I made the reservation through Costco did I? I answered OPs question correctly. I know exactly what Op is asking.

Hi - just wanted to thank you all for the advice. I called and emailed the TA (which is a corporate/business travel agent, not one focused on Disney or family travel, otherwise I likely would have kept it with them) and they replied this morning. They said Disney must have accidentally added them to it, but they agreed they're not right to make the booking. They transferred it back to Disney, and I just got off the phone with DCL reservations and now have our (sort-of) last minute cruise booked for January! Thanks again for the advice. I'm really impressed by the amount of cruise experience in this forum; I can't imagine any DCL question that would stump this group! :) Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter