• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transfer of Ownership to Family Member

Emolly

Earning My Ears
We have 2 add ons to HH that we were thinking of selling, but now have a sister interested. Does anyone know if we could add her as an "associate Member" , therefore eliminating closings costs, etc.? Then she could just call and book using those points. The 2 add ons are 50 and 75 each and , so I would assume I couldn't outright sell them to a non member anyway.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy

You can add her as a member but there is a fee for this. I added my 21 year old several years ago but I forget what it cost. She can make her own reservations that way but they would still be in your name too. I know it is cheaper than selling them to her. You can find out from Member Services. We met with them on our trip there and signed the papers. I know they can fedex them to you for signatures also. You can have as many as 4 members on the contract. I hope this helps. MS is the best place to get help on this subject.

You can add her as an associate member but I doubt you can segregate those points from your total account. There should be no fee for that. I doubt you could add her to your deed for those points only but don't know for certain. DVC has a provision for transfers within immediate family but you'd still need to get a new deed and recording. I'd call member Administration and see what they tell you.

I would be curious about this as well. I asked when we purchased if my kids could be added on, but since they were minors they could not. I would like to add one to each contract when they are of age and are curious what it would cost.

A couple years ago, my Mom's cousin joined DVC, and wasn't able to use her 1st years' points.

She wanted to give them to my Mother - but they thought the logistics of her making the reservation(s) for my Mom might be difficult "long distance."

Instead, they added me as an "associate" to their membership, so I would be able to book the reservations for my Mom.

There was no fee involved - it just made life easier for all of us!

The only problem we ever had was when a friend of mine gave a DVC guide my name as a referral, and the Magical Memories certificate was mailed to my Mom's cousin. Apparently, when they did an alpha-search for me - they saw my name on her contract before they saw my own, and mailed it up there. It was all eventually straightened out.

You can not add a person to your DVC deed if you have a mortgage.The mortgage must be paid off to add an additional owner to the deed. DVC used to allow adding a person to your deed, I even got the paperwork for it once. I didn't follow through because of paying closing again for my 2 contracts which I had to do to add my wife. Recently, I did a 2nd add-on and had some extra cash so I thought now would be a good time to add my wife to the 2 deeds on my dime and have DVC close my 2nd add-on with my wife as an owner. It couldn't be done because DVC stopped doing this if there is an outstanding mortgage.
The explaination I got was DVC changed that policy because divorced spouses were getting foreclosed on without even knowing that the deed was also in their name. Also, DVC had begun selling their mortgages to citibank (I think) and with another lender, it's too hard to add another deeded owner.
I don't buy it but that's what they told me.....spruce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter